Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:40 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The ACLU has never harmed me. That cannot be said of the fundamentalist christian that had me fired because I was an agnostic. That I was too sick to fight the dismissal just made it easier for him and his buddies to punish a heritic.

Yeah, I remember.
Okay, got proof? Lets see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:47 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,521,434 times
Proof of what? Like I said, the ACLU never harmed me! Bible thumpers have!

Old 09-26-2007, 04:16 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,113,860 times
This group should have been around when the ACLU was battling in the Supreme Court the felony criminal charges imposed on interracial marriages and on one couple in particular. Then Jeb Bush and Clarence Thomas would be leftists, I guess. Or something.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:20 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
I'm not fond of the ACLU, but I truly find the ADF a danger to us all. They are intent on shoving the doctrine of the American Taliban (Dobson, Robertson and Falwell) down our throats and into public law every chance they get. That is their mission. What about the doctine of Al Sharpton? Or Jesse Jackson? Or Rabbi so and so? Or Imam Sheik Bim Solla Bim?

It is totally counter to the Constitution that ANY form of religion inject its doctrine into public law.

What if the Jewish guys decided to make this a Jewish-governed nation? First thing they do is inject their dietary law into OUR public law and stop all hog farming and all that stuff we like to eat made from pork. Well ain't that swell.

Then the millions of Hindu-Americans get in the act, and make cows sacred, then all we got left to eat is chicken and fish. How do you Texas boys like your Chicken ribs -dry rub or wet baste?

Then, millions of Islamic-Americans get their doctrine shoved into public law, and suddenly all women have to wear that black gown from head to toe, leaving only the eyes exposed. Won't that go over big on ladies night down at Gilley's. Sheer idiocy for most Americans to even think of it, but that's the law in some parts of this world, and they can hire lawyers here too if they want. Do you still like the idea of religion being shoved into public law?

The Founding Fathers got it right to ordain a separation of church and state. Keep ALL religion out of public law. Keep YOUR religion in YOUR place of worship and YOUR home. Live it all you want, I don't have a single objection to anyone living their faith. Live a life that is a beacon unto others, but don't force it on anyone, especially via the legal process and/or campaign donations (bribes) to members of Congress.

s/Mike

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-26-2007 at 06:34 PM..

Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,112,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The Founding Fathers got it right to ordain a separation of church and state. Keep ALL religion out of public law. Keep YOUR religion in YOUR place of worship and YOUR home. Live it all you want, but don't force it on others.
Religious values are inter-twined in our society - from the Celebration of religious holidays (Christmas and Easter) to the 10 commandments on the walls of the United States Supreme Court. To the President, and many other elected leaders (on both sides of the aisle) ending speeches with, "and may God Bless America". To having a Chaplin, paid for by taxpayers, in both Houses of Congress, to Chaplains as officers and serving with our Military.

To religious ceremonies in the White House to the State House.

To many elected Representatives letting their constituents’ know what faith, if any, they practice.

Etc.

Etc.

The framers never said that there should be a "separation" of "church and state" - they said that there should not be a state sponsored religion, i.e. the Church of England - and there isn't one in the US - and that is a great thing.

But, religion is part of American life. Over 80% of Americans identify themselves as "religious".

So, while I agree that ones religious beliefs should not be imposed on another or shoved in their face, nor should the non religious try to force the elimination of religion from the very fabric of this great nation.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,044,543 times
Having a value based on religion is not the same as making laws based on religion.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Having a value based on religion is not the same as making laws based on religion.
I suggest to you that many legislators do just that - they propose / pass legislation (laws) based, in part, on their own moral (read religious) beliefs.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I suggest to you that many legislators do just that - they propose / pass legislation (laws) based, in part, on their own moral (read religious) beliefs.
The question is, WHAT is moral. That has long been the rub, definitions of what is moral change with time. There was a time in our not too distant past, when preachers in their pulpits on Sunday morning warned about the evils of black people, of inter-racial marriage, of demon rum, and much more. Times have changed; what once got the stamp of approval of religious leaders as the only right and moral way of living are now long discredited.

Religious definitions of what is moral, or not moral are often ludicrous, and to inject those opinions into our laws is a deadly mistake. It is moral in some religions to stone to death a spouse who cheats, or to burn to death a spouse who didn't come to you with a big enough cash dowry. We don't need ANY of that insanity here. If someone wants go to church and handle rattlesnakes to prove purity to God, fine, but DON'T try to make that the standard for all.

Every one of us needs to stick to the rule of law as the only way of our nation. Anything else is folly, the delusions of old men like Dobson and Robertson who's lives are slipping away and they want to leave the mark of their ego on us.

No way.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Religious definitions of what is moral, or not moral are often ludicrous, and to inject those opinions into our laws is a deadly mistake.
I suggest to you that "religious definitions of what is moral or not...." are "injected" into our laws every day - from the halls of Congress to your local school board. From the City Counsel to the local Planning board.

It is part of this nations fabric -

Old 09-26-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
...Alliance Defense Fund - The number of high powered lawyers joining up with the ADF is incredible.
Gee, lawyers coming out of the woodworks for easy money. What a novel idea, stop the presses folks, we got us a SCOOP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies