Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 AM

200 posts, read 914,149 times

Advertisements

The bottom line is, most of these rappers are 'puppets' getting paid by music company executives; ultimately, it is the executives making decisions about who will be promoted and heard...and who wont. The rappers have little control over that...and I say that only to point out, that there are many, many positive and thoughtful rappers that are only heard 'underground' and never reach the masses. And at the end of the day, rappers are not politicians or pundits...they excercise little control over the things that are most important to people. Bill O'Reilly needn't fear, I don't think you'll ever see 'Ludacris' in office... (and I think I already said, rappers don't speak for me... I speak for me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,668,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I don't remember him calling them stupid, trick a**, or b****es. But ho, yes, and he was fired for it. Rappers get paid to do it.
Great quote. Rappers get paid to do it.....aint that the truth!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:39 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,087,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Some people will find racism in anything they read or hear.
Only if its there.

The surprising thing about language - it's just so damn malleable. It means a lot of things. It can imply a number of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
...but you really showed your true colors when someone that it seems, you thought, was on the same wavelength as you had a differing viewpoint so you blasted him with "Dude, I'm absolutely losing any faith I may have had in you."

I never thought Y was on the same wavelength as me ideologically.

I respect his posts because he usually attempts to be intellectually honest, contemplative, and reasonable. At times it seems he just trolls (), but that's fine too.

There it is with that whole language/interpretation thing.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:14 PM

[quote=Rggr;1585000][quote=Anchorless;1584955]He is routinely part of the chorus that paints black culture as being a certain way, for one. Second, his assumption that typical black culture = gangsta rap, sagging pants, poverty, and profanity is extremely problematic.
Quote:

This is not at all an accurate representation of his views. He clearly states that he thinks there are segments of the culture (gangsta rap) that do the rest of black America a disservice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Great quote. Rappers get paid to do it.....aint that the truth!
Oh yeah, I forgot Don Imus wasn't getting paid. Silly me... So he lost his contract. If memory serves me correctly 'Ludacris' similarly lost a contact with Pespi (on account of one of O'Reilly's rants). Again, I don't support bereating and demeaning people on any front. But let's be honest, the O'Reilly's of the world are getting paid quite well to spread their messages, too...
(and yes, rappers are getting paid to do it too...)

Old 09-26-2007, 12:18 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,262,341 times
[quote=movingtolou;1585926][quote=Rggr;1585000]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
He is routinely part of the chorus that paints black culture as being a certain way, for one. Second, his assumption that typical black culture = gangsta rap, sagging pants, poverty, and profanity is extremely problematic.

Oh yeah, I forgot Don Imus wasn't getting paid. Silly me... So he lost his contract. If memory serves me correctly 'Ludacris' similarly lost a contact with Pespi (on account of one of O'Reilly's rants). Again, I don't support bereating and demeaning people on any front. But let's be honest, the O'Reilly's of the world are getting paid quite well to spread their messages, too...
(and yes, rappers are getting paid to do it too...)
Jeez, it seems that everybody is getting paid to spread their foolish opinions.

Except us.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 PM

You're right Yeldaf...and as soon as I get my radio show...I'll get a couple of lackeys so that I can yell 'Hey get my m&$%^@ eff'in iced tea!'

Old 09-26-2007, 12:58 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,262,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtolou View Post
You're right Yeldaf...and as soon as I get my radio show...I'll get a couple of lackeys so that I can yell 'Hey get my m&$%^@ eff'in iced tea!'
Savage is an artist, in the style of Salvador Dali. He is surreal.

Switching between Savage and the sonorous smarminess of All Things Considered on the drive home is like a brain message, administered by a squid which has been intravenously fed Red Bull.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:25 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,168,834 times
O'Reilly's comments were not, on any level, racist -

Once again, the PC crowd is trying to make something out of absolutely NOTHING

Old 09-26-2007, 02:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,087,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
O'Reilly's comments were not, on any level, racist -

Once again, the PC crowd is trying to make something out of absolutely NOTHING
Really.

I would really like to take your word for it, but well, I'm just going to need some reason as to why.

It's not that I don't believe you or anything, but you know...

Old 09-26-2007, 02:29 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Really.

I would really like to take your word for it, but well, I'm just going to need some reason as to why.

It's not that I don't believe you or anything, but you know...
I listened to the comment, in context with the entire segment - twice.

And, IMO, there was no racism expressed whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies