Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:41 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,093,932 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if y'all have been following the (non) story of O'Reilly's comments about dining in a Harlem restaurant. It's pretty hilarious, but sort of endemic of the fundamental schism between us.

Some people, including O'Reilly, think that what he said was innocuous. Other people think that while it may have been well-intentioned, it was rather insulting. CNN recently did a report on it, and that hurt poor Bill'O's feelings. So what does he do? He comes out with this:

Crooks and Liars » Bill O’Reilly: CNN has joined Media Matters “on the Dark Side”

Watch that clip of his response on the O'Reilly Factor, and try to hold back your laughter. So now Media Matters, NBC, MSNBC, and CNN are part of the "dark side," affiliated with MoveOn in a smear campaign against the success of Fox News.

Not to mention the inherent irony in his story to begin with. This is getting crazy. I mean, it's getting to where Springer and the day-time talk shows are more legitimate sources of news than Fox. Keep feeding the public what they need to know, BillO - I'm quite sure that those still watching your show have long ago abandoned any critical faculty they may once have had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
I saw this on NBC this morning. Amazing how the actual audio clips of his statements are always taken so "out of context". I think the guy is crazy like a fox. He knows who is buttering his bread.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:45 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Juan Williams is calling B.S., however.......

Juan Williams Defends Bill O’Reilly, Calls CNN Idiots | NewsBusters.org

Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
I'm sure you're right about Fox. I can't wait for Crooks and Liars to go from being only an internet site to developing a tv network so I can finally get some objective points of view.

200 posts, read 915,022 times
This is crazy! I read it yesterday... he's a modern day anthropologist that Bill! I would hope that by now, most people recognize the source here.

I wonder when people will wake up and realize that most people want the same out of life: family; good friends; someone to love; good healthcare; good schools...and oh yeah, good food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Dude, I'm absolutely losing any faith I may have had in you.

That article was crap. Juan Williams is hardly a go-to source on this matter.

The problem is this: O'Reilly implies, through his statement, that it's surprising that black people aren't always acting like "thugs" and "criminals," and that, gasp, they can act perfectly "white" at times.

I don't get how he could not think that's insulting. You work with linguistics - find a transcript of his radio statements, and tell me those implications aren't clear and present.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm sure you're right about Fox. I can't wait for Crooks and Liars to go from being only an internet site to developing a tv network so I can finally get some objective points of view.
Crooks and Liars is hardly an objective point of view - they admit that from the beginning.

They do, however, link audio and video clips so that the viewer can make her own decisions. That's why I access that site. Their commentary is hardly worthwhile.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtolou View Post
This is crazy! I read it yesterday... he's a modern day anthropologist that Bill! I would hope that by now, most people recognize the source here.

I wonder when people will wake up and realize that most people want the same out of life: family; good friends; someone to love; good healthcare; good schools...and oh yeah, good food!
Yet it's surprising to some people when black people want and/or display this.

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I saw this on NBC this morning. Amazing how the actual audio clips of his statements are always taken so "out of context". I think the guy is crazy like a fox. He knows who is buttering his bread.
Audio clips as well as quotes can easily be taken out of context.

3,074 posts, read 4,723,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I'm not sure if y'all have been following the (non) story of O'Reilly's comments about dining in a Harlem restaurant. It's pretty hilarious, but sort of endemic of the fundamental schism between us.

Some people, including O'Reilly, think that what he said was innocuous. Other people think that while it may have been well-intentioned, it was rather insulting. CNN recently did a report on it, and that hurt poor Bill'O's feelings. So what does he do? He comes out with this:

Crooks and Liars » Bill O’Reilly: CNN has joined Media Matters “on the Dark Side”

Watch that clip of his response on the O'Reilly Factor, and try to hold back your laughter. So now Media Matters, NBC, MSNBC, and CNN are part of the "dark side," affiliated with MoveOn in a smear campaign against the success of Fox News.

Not to mention the inherent irony in his story to begin with. This is getting crazy. I mean, it's getting to where Springer and the day-time talk shows are more legitimate sources of news than Fox. Keep feeding the public what they need to know, BillO - I'm quite sure that those still watching your show have long ago abandoned any critical faculty they may once have had.
This is all lies from you and CNN...Shame on you.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies