Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 10:21 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
She might have a point, I wouldn't put anything past the stinking republicans.
LOL Just so you know, theyve been trying to get answers from Holder for 18 months. This didnt just spring out of no where. 18 months he couldve had this dealt with and he refused.

Hey, not to late to jump ship you know. WH leaks, numerous failed War on _____, Fast/Furious, people mocking his silly Dinner with Celebrities, 100 golf games, bad economy, high unemployment, skyrocketing debt..... not much good news lately. Maybe its time for a change meson, dont ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
LOL Just so you know, theyve been trying to get answers from Holder for 18 months. This didnt just spring out of no where. 18 months he couldve had this dealt with and he refused.

Hey, not to late to jump ship you know. WH leaks, numerous failed War on _____, Fast/Furious, people mocking his silly Dinner with Celebrities, 100 golf games, bad economy, high unemployment, skyrocketing debt..... not much good news lately. Maybe its time for a change meson, dont ya think?
And after all that he is still running neck and neck, or leading in the polls!

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Wheels in motion? It's been a freaking year. And the only reason he's dealing with it is because of Issa.

Liberals, the ultimate revisionist historians.
Terry was killed Dec 14, 2010 the F&F program was shut down Jan 25, 2011, on Feb 4, 2011 Holder order Inspector General Investigation.

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Your own quote doesn't help you in your argument. Holder, as DOJ, is not considered an immediate member of the White House's advisor staff. No other Cabinet member would enjoy that either. Advisor staff would include people like Valerie Jarrett, David Axlerod, etc, etc. That's always been the interpretation I understand and from all appearances of the opinions I've seen from legal experts, that's their understanding as well.

ETA: I think there are historical precendents of Executive Privilege that has been used incorrectly but just weren't challenged. After all, unless it's challenged then it is held up. My opinion, based on my understanding and other legal opinions, is that EP is reserved for those matters that substanially involve close WH adviors or POTUS himself in matters of either military, national security, or diplomacy.
No. "Advisory Staff" ...not just the staff. By your reading of this Dick Cheney would not fall under this privilege.

All GOP Presidents since Nixon have claimed EP applies to Cabinet members, as no one argues, not even Congress, they don't "advise" the President.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Terry was killed Dec 14, 2010 the F&F program was shut down Jan 25, 2011.
You mean AFTER someone died.. Thats not what you said, you said they shut it down because they disagreed with it.

Furthermore, that was 18 months ago.. How longs it take to photocopy documents and give them to Congress?

Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
No. "Advisory Staff" ...not just the staff. By your reading of this Dick Cheney would not fall under this privilege.

All GOP Presidents since Nixon have claimed EP applies to Cabinet members, as no one argues, not even Congress, they don't "advise" the President.
The Department of Justice REPORTS to the President, they are not part of the cabinet.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Oh my god.. anyone watching the press conference now?

I cant believe how pathetic this administration is...

Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The Department of Justice REPORTS to the President, they are not part of the cabinet.
Holder is head of the DOJ and a Cabinet member. By Espy, his communications fall under EP.

If you don't like it you should have spoken up under a GOP President, who made the same argument.

Given your posting history. You have no record whatsoever of objecting to unconstitutional, law breaking under Republicans.

Thus most of know your simply a partisan, who found some issue to score a cheap political point.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oh my god.. anyone watching the press conference now?

I cant believe how pathetic this administration is...
No. What is the pc about? Whats going on? Dare i ask, I can only take so much more of their bs.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

And I agree with those legal opinions that say that privilege does not extend to the entire Executive Branch and must substantially involve the White House or White House advisors. There have been plenty of cases when the EP can be used (e.g. Nixon and Espy) but not a clear definition of who in the Executive Branch that covers. It has generally applied to those that are close advisors. And yes, I do not think Dick Cheney, as VP, should have been covered by EP. To label him both an advisor and VP was a legal manipulation that I do not agree with. I tend to favor narrow definitions in general and from what I've seen of this particular Supreme Court, they do as well. I imagine if this is challenged, that would be of issue. So, there is still a question of whether Holder is indeed covered by EP. I assert he is not based solely on his position of AG of DOJ.

But of course, Obama has not yet asserted the details of his EP and until he does so, it is not actually 'official'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies