Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 PM

58,736 posts, read 27,080,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok, fine.

The terrorists / Muslims one: People of intelligence recognize that while Islamic terrorism must be stopped, it's not fair to persecute all Muslims. Most Muslims are not terrorists. This would be like persecuting all Christians because a small minority of Christians somewhere do something stupid. And so that's why we should be vigilant against a backlash against people who don't deserve it.

The rich / taxes one: We've been through this before. It's not just the percentage relative to the total taxpayers that counts, it's the percentage relative to your income. I'm all for the argument that even low earners should pay something in, but we shouldn't have a situation where the middle class and upper middle class are burdened by a much heavier tax rate proportional to their income than the top of the wealth spectrum, who have access to many tricks to whittle down their taxes to very thin rates. While we're at it, we should revise the tax code to get rid of all these deductions, which should allow us to lower tax rates across the board.

Think on that.
"Think on that." I did.

What you pay in taxes proportional to what you make is a weak position.that ignores the reality of the position.

Look at it like this.

The government has determi9ned that it needs $100 to pay for all of it's programs, other obligations, etc. for the year. (That is why we are SUPPOSED to have an annual budget)

They only need to take in taxes of $100.

The "rich" pay $80.

48% of the citizens pay $0.

The "middle" class pay $20.

What difference does it make to argue percentages of someone's earnings?

WHAT they earn has NO bearing on what the gov't needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,866,247 times
Only in America could bankers crash the economy and then show up in private jets demanding a bailout from the people they've hurt.

Only in America could Republicans talk about the horror of government and then demand that government prevent women from getting abortions after they've been raped.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Only in America could bankers crash the economy and then show up in private jets demanding a bailout from the people they've hurt.

Only in America could Republicans talk about the horror of government and then demand that government prevent women from getting abortions after they've been raped.
Only in America can people make broad ignorant statements WITHOUT backing them up.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM

68 posts, read 41,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Only in America can people make broad ignorant statements WITHOUT backing them up.
Only In Amerca can people not consider the obvious.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,862,268 times
Another great post, Mouser. Wish I could rep you again.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderAgeVoterRussian View Post
Only In Amerca can people not consider the obvious.
In America we have the right to disagree with others "opinions".

Old 06-21-2012, 07:01 PM

5,647 posts, read 5,069,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
If you were a citizen which would you prefer?
Being a citizen who has achieved what I have through hard work, I would prefer EVERYONE pay a fair share, and I define "fair" as an equal portion in relation to what they earn. If someone wants more, in this country one can attain it by applying one's self to the effort. A progressive tax structure is unfair to those who work harder to earn more.

IMO, if you don't pay taxes, you don't have a dog in the fight and are not entitled to participate in the decision-making process. Yes, I'm advocating no vote for the 49% who pay no taxes.

Quote:
WHAT they earn has NO bearing on what the gov't needs.
The government needs a lesson in "needs" vs. "wants". I think maybe you might not quite understand the difference also.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,866,247 times
Quote:
I agree. The OP being a perfect example.

OTOH nothing I wrote wasn't true.

Inside Job - Movie Website for the Documentary Film

Rick Santorum On Opposition To Abortion In Cases Of Rape: 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation'

Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,094,727 times
Quote:
I think that is done all over the world and not just here.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,326,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Only in America could certain people want to ban certain foods and cigarettes while wanting pot legal

Only in America could certain people want unlimited rights for women but few rights for children
Only in America do people post hyperbole as fact....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies