Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I think it was worth the risk to scare the crap out of a person who may have murdered someone. Shooting the thugs would have been more effective but, most people have a very deep rooted aversion to killing people if it can be avoided.
If you don't have that aversion then you belong in a confined environment. Simply and well stated. As mentioned - this woman should be commended on her show of restraint. This is what I don't understand about the courts - they should also show some judicial restraint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I said IF one shot stops the threat.
Well then, See! We are on the same page. At least on this issue.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:04 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And that's the real problem. Why should a citizen need a permit to carry a gun?
Oh yes, that's what I would prefer. Let's arm everyone. And then good luck handling some of the people who expect to die young and don't necessarily care how many people they take out on their way. Sounds great!!!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And that's the real problem. Why should a citizen need a permit to carry a gun?
I'll bet that with very little thought, you could name 5 people you know that should never be allowed to carry guns.

Just a reminder for all you constitutional experts. The constitution means whatever the SCOTUS says it means. That's the way our country's checks and balances were set up by the founding fathers. It doesn't mean what some kitchen table constitutionalists think it means.

Right now the SCOTUS say's that the second amendment guarentees the rights of citizens to bear arms with reasonable restrictions via the Heller decision.

Determining the competency of an individual is a reasonable restriction. A person cannot be tried for their crimes if they are not competent to stand trial. By the same token, a person my not own a weapon if they are ajudicated to be incompetent to do so.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:15 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh yes, that's what I would prefer. Let's arm everyone. And then good luck handling some of the people who expect to die young and don't necessarily care how many people they take out on their way. Sounds great!!!
The truly dangerous people aren't stopped by a law requiring a permit. It only entraps crime victims like this woman. Several states allow some form of gun carry without permit. Most, in fact, allow open carry without a permit, and some allow concealed (VT, AK, AZ, WY and, outside of incorporated areas and logging camps, MT).

Old 06-21-2012, 08:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
It's statistically so unlikely there's no justification for criminal charges here. You could go to a rural part of Maryland and quite legally fire your guns into the air while target practicing if one desires.

Where is your evidence these thugs were no longer a threat? With the gang activity in Baltimore, it's entirely possible they were going for backup. Besides which, even if they were no longer a threat to this woman, the next one might not have had a gun to prevent murder.

The law is not the law when it violates natural rights. The courts have already begun attacking MD's unconstitutional gun laws.
But she was in the city not out in the country and even in the country you should always have a backstop you are shooting into, there are good reasons for laws concearning weapon discharge in populated areas, where is your evidence they were trying to harm her as they drove away and she chased them? Even with a permit you are not allowed to shoot at a moving vehicle, why was she firing warning shots while they were driving away? I own guns and conceal carry, most of it is common sense something she seems to lack.

Last edited by Roaddog; 06-21-2012 at 09:09 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
The truly dangerous people aren't stopped by a law requiring a permit. It only entraps crime victims like this woman. Several states allow some form of gun carry without permit. Most, in fact, allow open carry without a permit, and some allow concealed (VT, AK, AZ, WY and, outside of incorporated areas and logging camps, MT).
Hey, you want that social experiment, have at it. But you are first in to West Baltimore.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Then you are too stupid to realize that you can not carry a LOADED FIREARM in your car whether it is registered or not!!!!...I guess you should discuss that with the fellow idiots next camp fire meeting!!!

I specifically stated that the woman endangered the public and broke the law....please don't post without your reading tutor again....
You can in several states just not the ones run by liberals.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You can in several states just not the ones run by liberals.

Go to bed!!!...

Old 06-22-2012, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Seems to me if an assailent runs away when you pull out a gun you have accomplished stopping the assault. Shooting people running away is not self defence but pest control. Police like to maintain a monopoly on that.

New hampshire has recently changed the firearms laws. They are less restrictive than previous law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies