Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Other countries use IDs I don't know why the US doesn't.
Because there is no such thing as a state-issued or federal issued free ID card. The absence of which makes the ID requirement a defacto poll tax.

I'd be all for voter-ID if they started giving out free ID cards to US citizens who applied for them... but it won't ever happen because the GOP does not want to lose their best tool for voter suppression.

I don't know if you've ever been broke, but there are a lot of people out there who have to plan ahead and budget around getting a driver's license and/or passport.

Not being able to afford a car means that you can't test for a driver's license and passport cards start at ~$70. That is almost two days worth of work to a lot of poor folks.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
In many states, they want to require an id to stop things from happening that are not happening anyway (read: trim off a few poor voters).

Classic GOP.
Re: Title

100% false.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:30 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Because there is no such thing as a state-issued or federal issued free ID card. The absence of which makes the ID requirement a defacto poll tax.

I'd be all for voter-ID if they started giving out free ID cards to US citizens who applied for them... but it won't ever happen because the GOP does not want to lose their best tool for voter suppression.

I don't know if you've ever been broke, but there are a lot of people out there who have to plan ahead and budget around getting a driver's license and/or passport.

Not being able to afford a car means that you can't test for a driver's license and passport cards start at ~$70. That is almost two days worth of work to a lot of poor folks.

What tripe. There are programs for those who don't have the money to get a state-issued ID. Look it up.

I know people who didn't own a car but still got drivers licenses. They used either a driving school's car or a family member's car to take the road test.

What you're basically saying is that you are against any form of voter ID. Is your objection to it because illegals and dead people won't be able to vote?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:13 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What tripe. There are programs for those who don't have the money to get a state-issued ID. Look it up.

I know people who didn't own a car but still got drivers licenses. They used either a driving school's car or a family member's car to take the road test.

What you're basically saying is that you are against any form of voter ID. Is your objection to it because illegals and dead people won't be able to vote?
I stand corrected regarding the VoterID cards in this state, but the fact that I as a college educated voter with two endorsements on my driver's license, that pays a lot of attention to current events had not ever heard of this state program is evidence that it needs to be marketed and expanded.

The main issue with current voter ID is the cost and the time involved. Its easier to buy a gun in this state than it is to vote.

Why doesn't it bother you that the same political party that has been gerrymandering every district they control is also actively trying to suppress the right of the people to vote? How can you not see that their efforts are deliberately intended to limit the *only* tool that ordinary citizens in this country have to express their opinion with how they are governed?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:21 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I have to present an "acceptable" picture ID card as well as announce my name and address to the poll worker before I vote. I have no problem with the latter but resent the former. I am who I say I am and expect my word as a citizen to be accepted.

Any cost to a prospective voter before they can vote is a POLL TAX and antithetical to the concept of "one person one vote". It is just a tool to suppress the vote of the poor as if the poor's inability to buy the candidates' time was not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies