Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2007, 02:10 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,565,042 times

Advertisements

Ok, America's favorite demon corporation, Walmart, has just announced they are going to restrict their laundry detergent products to highly concentrated versions in order to reduce water and packaging in the manufacturing stream. Sounds good, huh? Wal-Mart Chief Executive Lee Scott said in a press release. "We simply don't want our customers to have to choose between a product they can afford and an environmentally friendly product."

So does that mean they they are going to stop being a source of cheap products and instead become a premium green outlet? Are they joining forces with the traditionally anti-Walmart forces in the battle for the environment? Should we stop our assault on Walmart because it is now green, or do we support alternative non-green retailers to continue our Walmart protest?

I hear this announcement saying 'We can dictate what manufacturers charge us and now we will dictate what products you can buy and at what price.' Am I being paranoid, or justified? Is this move toward a green product shelf a good or bad thing? How many ways will it benefit and hurt Walmart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 02:15 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,588,100 times
Sounds like a good move to me. Saves literally tons of packaging per year, tons of fuel since the weight of shipments will be lighter, and saves space at home in your shelves. I've used the concentrated stuff for a long time now, and it seems to be even enough price wise to make sense. Since its going into water to be diluted for use anyway, why not concentrate it as much as possible while keeping the quality of the product the same?

Old 09-26-2007, 02:25 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,565,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Sounds like a good move to me. Saves literally tons of packaging per year, tons of fuel since the weight of shipments will be lighter, and saves space at home in your shelves. I've used the concentrated stuff for a long time now, and it seems to be even enough price wise to make sense. Since its going into water to be diluted for use anyway, why not concentrate it as much as possible while keeping the quality of the product the same?
Agreed on that point. I only use the concentrated stuff as well. I am more concerned about their statement "We simply don't want our customers to have to choose between a product they can afford and an environmentally friendly product." .

My experience has been that the concentrated product has been more economical than the other products. Why would Walmart indicate that there is a choice between this and more affordable products? Sounds like the prices are going to go up once there are no more competing products from the manufacturers in this category.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:22 PM

68,271 posts, read 53,994,055 times
Among other things it sounds like it'll save them from wasting $$ shipping water from China.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:29 PM

35 posts, read 54,796 times
Well, as a conservative, that's what we do....we conserve. I am happy to hear about Wal-mart making the switch, although since I do not shop at Wal-mart, it won't make any difference to me personally.

I loathe Wal-mart, because the shopping enviornment stinks: the people working there are rude and crass, the store layout is annoying and confusing, and their products for the most part are out of date and inferior. They are merely a bad example of a bygone era, which I for one would like to forget about.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:28 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,987,670 times
The only reason that most people even shop Wal-Mart is due to their alleged lower prices.

And many of the people who are bummed at the traditional downtowns dying courtesy of Wally World also shop at the latter as well.

That said: I treat Wal-Mart like Woolworths (anybody remember them) for things like towels, sheets, etc.

My grocery shopping gets done elsewhere-------even if a Wal-Mart is closer to my home.

Now; just keep my ass out of Costco--------I get in trouble there fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies