Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:15 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,534,864 times

Advertisements

Maybe because the politicians on the left agreed with what Bush was saying at the time - a point often forgotten.

Anyway, the absence of grilling someone on one issue does not mean that there is no bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,115,117 times
Many people on this board will (may?) submit that you can be a white person without having a bias against black folks. So why can't there be leftist media folks who don't show any bias against the right wing?

Conservatives are just paranoid.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:21 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,084,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm sure the study has flaws, most do. It's at least some way of quantifying this question rather than having us all post statements that everyone will respond to by saying it's out of context.

Well, I mean, that's kind of the point. If the study has methodological flaws, and the thrust and conclusion of the study relies upon its methodology, it kind of undermines the study, no?

I posted links to a study that does indeed call attention to the methodological flaws, which would again, I presume, undermine the credibility of that article.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,770,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
People claim the media does have a left-leaning bias. Perhaps that's true on some issues. But let's go back to the runup to the Iraq war, back in 2002 and early 2003. From what I recall, the media more or less swallowed up everything the Bush administration told them, and they did it quite uncritically. If there really was a big leftist bias, why wasn't it present back then? No one has explained this to my satisfaction.
This is true. I was doing some international travelling, and the contrast was startling between the questions and analysis asked by international media and the US media. A lot of international media predicted the exact outcome where we find ourselves today and questioned the basis and some of the assumptions for invading, while there was no "What happens after Saddam" discussion going on at all in the US.

And the first weeks of the war were a complete embarassment as far as US media coverage was concerned. The embedded reporters were basically just cheerleaders, all excited in their military outfits, and provided nothing at all of value in terms of analysis.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Many people on this board will (may?) submit that you can be a white person without having a bias against black folks. So why can't there be leftist media folks who don't show any bias against the right wing?

Conservatives are just paranoid.
That's not a good comparison. One is merely about the color of your skin, the other is about a way of thinking. I'm sure you would agree that those are not equal.

Also, I certainly think that it's possible that people can have views that lean to the left and still be fair in reporting. I think that when it's institutionalized that the vast majority leans one way, that there tends to be a bias (studies seem to agree). Wouldn't such institutionalization be what you would argue against in a race discussion?

Old 09-26-2007, 04:37 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,985,328 times
Does America have a real, viable left? Or are we all capitalist social conservatives at heart?

Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post

Well, I mean, that's kind of the point. If the study has methodological flaws, and the thrust and conclusion of the study relies upon its methodology, it kind of undermines the study, no?

I posted links to a study that does indeed call attention to the methodological flaws, which would again, I presume, undermine the credibility of that article.
Ever seen a perfect study?

Let's approach it another way. Show me the research that demonstrates no lean to the left.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:49 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,084,764 times
Show me research that demonstrates there are no purple unicorns.

Can't do it that way, sorry.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Show me research that demonstrates there are no purple unicorns.

Can't do it that way, sorry.
Interesting. So there is research to demonstrate a bias to the left by neutral sources (If a UCLA professor is really neutral). You posted a couple of links to dispute the methodology of that study (I'm not able to question the conclusions of the links you provided but I'm sure some would.). This has been a topic for a long time and yet there is not one study that finds no bias and not one that suggests a bias to the right?!

Old 09-26-2007, 05:12 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,818,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Are they "too liberal?" "Too conservative?" And even if the media is moderate or liberal by American standards, are they right wing by international standards?

Or is it just "the truth" that has a liberal/conservative bias and therefore makes it look like the news is politically biased?

Personally I think most of the news media is biased towards one factor and one alone --- MONEY, including Fox News, but they know they can make more money if they play to their audience, which translates into a percieved right wing bias.
Heck yeah!! CNN airs stuff they get from MediaMatters, a left-wing hate site. CNN and NBC will air anything they see posted online w/o verifying, as long as it will hurt Bush.

CNN/NBC/MSNBC/ABC.. man these chanels are mostly propaganda. They are nothing about the news. They are part of the George Soros network of Information.

It works like this:

1. CNN/NBC/MSNBC/ABC go to hate websites like TheDailyKos, MediaMatters, or MoveOn and read some stuff.

2. They take whatever they learn on the hate sites and put into TV format without verifying any of it. A recent example of how it blew up was Nancy Grace on CNN saying the Duke Players were barbarians and racist, while the evidence showed they were NOT guilty. Another famous example was left-wing extremist Dan Rather come sout with a newscast about Bush going AWOL, when the documents were fake. Rather got his story from some loopy George Soros' run website.

3. They broadcast whatever they find on the propaganda sites as truth.

Conclusion: the US "mainstream media" really ain't mainstreat at all. It is very radicalized by far left elements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies