Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 12:45 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,159,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Oh, dear, and I suppose the master plan won inasmuch HH didn't, and I do believe I voted for him although then I was an Elephant!

And there seems always to be a boogeyman for every generation. I went through a few: communism being a big enervator.
Yes, but in the absence of the boogy man, then you have leaders who must then contend with keeping the people they rule contented. This I suspect is a far more challenging proposition than most current politician's are capable of. Sadly, people need some evil nemesis or great threat in order to bring solidarity in the constituency and compliance with their leaders who claim they wish to rid the world of the various vile threats.

Our government has kept us in a perpetual state of fear - kept us in a continuous stampede of patriotic fervor - with the cry of grave national emergency.

Our country is now geared to an arms economy bred in an artificially induced psychosis of war hysteria and an incessant propaganda of fear.

Both quotes were from General Douglas MacArthur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 AM

4,494 posts, read 3,990,283 times
For those that might care, a bit more about Spiro Agnew.

His first successful run for political office was in 1962 when he was elected Executive of Baltimore County. During his time as Executive, the county enacted a public accommodations law, which basically called for public establishments such as restaurants be open to all regardless of race. By the time he ran for Governor of Maryland in 1966, he had built a rather progressive record on many issues, including civil rights. Agnew actually ran as a pro civil rights candidate against a Democratic opponent who was a staunch segregationist. With strong support from blacks, liberal Democrats and Republicans, Agnew won the governorship. However, when riots broke out in Baltimore in the wake of Martin Luther King's assassination, Agnew changed his tone dramatically. Law and order became the focus of his governorship.

There are a variety of reasons why Agnew was selected as Nixon's running mate in the 1968 presidential election. One of Nixon's key campaign points was law and order. This was especially appealing to many Americans that were unhappy with and tired of the riots and protests taking place across the country. Agnew's handling of the Baltimore riots and the takeover at Bowie State played well to the law and order crowd, especially among conservative Southern voters. George Wallace was running for President as an independent. The belief was that voters who might have cast votes for him would hopefully vote Nixon, and not waste their votes on Wallace.

Agnew had originally supported Nelson Rockefeller as a Republican presidential candidate in 1968, going so far as to set up a draft committee to get Rockefeller into the race. When Rockefeller withdrew, then changed his mind and jumped back in, Agnew gave up on him and instead supported Nixon's candidacy. With Agnew on the ticket, votes that would have gone to Rockefeller would go to Nixon.

Since Agnew was relatively new to politics, his image was not one that would overpower Nixon's. Also, the lack of a long political history meant it unlikely that there would be major differences on issues between the two that would have to be explained away.

Lastly, Agnew's previous civil rights record would win points among more liberal voters and his Greek heritage would hopefully appeal to the ethnic vote. In all, Spiro Agnew looked like the perfect running mate.

Perhaps not the most likable of men, but you can't say that Spiro Agnew wasn't interesting.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the info Tony, was an interesting read. I have to laugh when I saw this line
Quote:
However, when riots broke out in Baltimore in the wake of Martin Luther King's assassination, Agnew changed his tone dramatically. Law and order became the focus of his governorship
and of course this,
Quote:
Since Agnew was relatively new to politics, his image was not one that would overpower Nixon's. Also, the lack of a long political history meant it unlikely that there would be major differences on issues between the two that would have to be explained away.
I then warp to 2007 and see another White House using law and order, fear, and authoritarianism as the basis of their motivations. Also the unlikely pair of G W Bush and Dick Cheney. I do however doubt we will see the decider getting on a plane giving the peace sign, more like the finger.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:16 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,071,394 times
Here's a piece from Media Matters examining what others refer to as "mainstream" media coverage. In the piece they examine what is covered, how much of the issue is covered and by whom (on some specific questions).

Worth a glance for sure for either side of the political fence!

Media Matters - "Media Matters"; by Jamison Foser

Old 09-30-2007, 07:13 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,405,561 times
The MSM has a political bias; a Corporatist Conservative bias.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:50 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,835,811 times
Does the "mainstream media" really have a political bias?

in a word.....yes!! And it gets uglier every election cycle.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Here's a piece from Media Matters examining what others refer to as "mainstream" media coverage. In the piece they examine what is covered, how much of the issue is covered and by whom (on some specific questions).

Worth a glance for sure for either side of the political fence!

Media Matters - "Media Matters"; by Jamison Foser
That either side of the political fence you speak of, I only need to look towards a certain republican candidate to find the same media treatment.

Interesting that media's hand in what is deemed newsworthy or not is often implemented by what it does not say as much as what it did.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:35 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,071,394 times
If you've ever taken notes for a meeting, you may remember how difficult it is to nuance the said and unsaid in the written word. But, how hard you worked at accuracy, concentrating on content.

We need more accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
That either side of the political fence you speak of, I only need to look towards a certain republican candidate to find the same media treatment.

Interesting that media's hand in what is deemed newsworthy or not is often implemented by what it does not say as much as what it did.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:57 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,503,422 times
It's clear as the nose on your face that most of the media is liberal. Fox News tends to be fair and balanced. You've got Hannity and Colmes for example. Now that's right and left. And OReilly is a traditionalist not a conservative. He really does try to keep his show fair even though the far left hate him. They hate anyone that exposes them for what they are.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:59 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,990,458 times
Hannity & Colmes is "balanced between lib and con" and "traditionalist" isn't synonomous with conservative? Colmes is a weird-looking centrist who gets in like 3 sentences per show... good "balance."

However, you're right that I do hate O'Reilly for exposing who I am, an Alien Vampire From Mars who has come to suck the blood from the veins of innocent baby rabbits, or whatever other (completely true and slicingly objective) adjective Hannity and friends are using to describe liberals these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies