U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 03:24 PM

2,923 posts, read 4,714,038 times

Advertisements

Are they "too liberal?" "Too conservative?" And even if the media is moderate or liberal by American standards, are they right wing by international standards?

Or is it just "the truth" that has a liberal/conservative bias and therefore makes it look like the news is politically biased?

Personally I think most of the news media is biased towards one factor and one alone --- MONEY, including Fox News, but they know they can make more money if they play to their audience, which translates into a percieved right wing bias.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 03:38 PM

10,535 posts, read 12,556,946 times
This is from a study done by UCLA(hardly a right wing group) to answer this question.

http://www.polisci.ucla.edu/faculty/groseclose/Media.Bias.pdf (broken link)

Our results show a strong liberal bias. All of the news outlets except Fox News’
Special Report and the Washington Times received a score to the left of the average
member of Congress. And a few outlets, including the New York Times and CBS
Evening News, were closer to the average Democrat in Congress than the center. These
findings refer strictly to the news stories of the outlets. That is, we omitted editorials,
book reviews, and letters to the editor from our sample.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 PM

1,001 posts, read 2,910,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
This is from a study done by UCLA(hardly a right wing group) to answer this question.

Our results show a strong liberal bias. All of the news outlets except Fox News’
Special Report and the Washington Times received a score to the left of the average
member of Congress. And a few outlets, including the New York Times and CBS
Evening News, were closer to the average Democrat in Congress than the center. These
findings refer strictly to the news stories of the outlets. That is, we omitted editorials,
book reviews, and letters to the editor from our sample.
Language Log: Multiplying ideologies considered harmful

Language Log: Linguistics, politics, mathematics

As an aside to the paper itself, those authors are hardly impartial. Check out who they write for.

But I don't necessarily disagree with the thesis that the "mainstream media," whatever that is, has a political bend much to the left of Fox News, for instance. Where the conglomeration of news sources stand in regards to the mean of the American politic, I'm not sure. It's hard to define terms in this types of analysis.

I tend to agree with Chomsky in Manufacturing Consent. Y'all should read it.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM

3,080 posts, read 10,332,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Personally I think most of the news media is biased towards one factor and one alone --- MONEY, including Fox News, but they know they can make more money if they play to their audience, which translates into a percieved right wing bias.
I agree with you.

Let me add that, in my opinion, they have a strong bias toward idiocy as well, considering how badly they manage to mangle a news story within the span of a 10-second soundbyte.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM

25,106 posts, read 36,529,097 times
Quote:

Thank you for that link - very interesting article / study

Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 PM

I'm sure the study has flaws, most do. It's at least some way of quantifying this question rather than having us all post statements that everyone will respond to by saying it's out of context.

The Pew Research Center studied this and found that evidence to suggest a bias to left based on how journalists classified themselves. This link has a clear slant to the right but contains the numbers from the Pew Research.

Liberal Media Evidence - 31k -

Old 09-26-2007, 04:03 PM

6,759 posts, read 10,843,927 times
Yes, in general there is a liberal bias. Proof? Look at how the left WHINES about Fox News, because it is the only station that tilts right, it sticks out like a sore thumb on a fistful of lefty stations. At least Fox is cable news and not on public funded airwaves like PBS and NPR (Propoganda BS and National Propaganda Radio).

Old 09-26-2007, 04:07 PM

4,046 posts, read 9,760,271 times
Quote:
The Pew Research Center studied this and found that evidence to suggest a bias to left based on how journalists classified themselves.
Do you think the media has a pro-white bias? 75-80% of the media pundits classify themselves as white folks.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Do you think the media has a pro-white bias? 75-80% of the media pundits classify themselves as white folks.
I think it might show up somewhere in their presentation of the story that they are in fact white.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:11 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,763,206 times
People claim the media does have a left-leaning bias. Perhaps that's true on some issues. But let's go back to the runup to the Iraq war, back in 2002 and early 2003. From what I recall, the media more or less swallowed up everything the Bush administration told them, and they did it quite uncritically. If there really was a big leftist bias, why wasn't it present back then? No one has explained this to my satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies