Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM

276 posts, read 236,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that unions must give nonmembers an immediate chance to object to unexpected fee increases or special assessments that all workers are required to pay in closed-shop situations.
The court ruled for Dianne Knox and other nonmembers of the Service Employees International Union's Local 1000, who wanted to object and opt out of a $12 million special assessment the union required from its California public sector members for political campaigning. Knox and others said the union did not give them a legally required notice that the increase was coming.
The union, and the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, said the annual notice that the union gives was sufficient. The high court disagreed in a 7-2 judgment written by Justice Samuel Alito.
Supreme Court rules against SEIU in dispute over union fee hike | Fox News

Good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:37 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,309,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRisingAgain View Post
I think the 7 - 2 vote was the most significant part of this decision. Even though two justices didn't agree with the majority opinion they did write a minority report that slaps the unions pretty hard.

Now the very best part of this ruling is that it upsets the decision by the 9th Court of Appeals. I wonder when those people will realize that their opinions may be popular with unions and the left they won't stand with the Supreme Court.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,416,696 times
Sounds good to me... now when they pronounce Nobamacare as unconstitutional we'll have a clean sweep.

The boob is going down.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,594,192 times
Great news!!!

Once again, the people win and union thugs lose a little more control.

The lefties are squirming now......no tank load of union money pouring into their campaigns.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Sounds good to me... now when they pronounce Nobamacare as unconstitutional we'll have a clean sweep.

The boob is going down.
I was thinking about this exact same thing last night...

If Obamacare goes down this week, then most of Obamas accomplishments of 3 1/2 years, wiped out in 1 weeks time..

Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,416,696 times
Well I tried to give your reputation a boost, pghquest, but C-D won't let me, saying I have to spread it around, but I award it carefully and yours would have been the first in several months. I think they have a thing against people who think clearly.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Wow..that's a lot of money. $12 million "special assessment" just for political campaigning ?
Glad the court ruled like it did. The Obama campaign must be hurting for money. And to think the unions would gladly tax their members to hand over money. How is that helping them in this economy ?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:05 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,549,153 times
Fox NEVER reports the whole story, but y'all just continue to eat it up anyhow.

What the SC ruled is essentially what Fox reported...BUT...the case was then remanded back to the 9th Circuit for another hearing.

In other words, a question arose during the original 9th Circuit hearing and the SC clarified that. The case is not yet over.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:21 PM

276 posts, read 236,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

What the SC ruled is essentially what Fox reported...BUT...the case was then remanded back to the 9th Circuit for another hearing.

In other words, a question arose during the original 9th Circuit hearing and the SC clarified that. The case is not yet over.
The Seattle Times reported the exact same story.

Court: Union must give fee increase notice | Politics | The Seattle Times

USA Today:

Supreme Court: Unions must give fee increase notice

Old 06-21-2012, 01:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

What does this change?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies