Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 06:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times

Advertisements

We have a candidate bumber sticker thread going. This is a different angle. Small rant actually. How many of you see people with bumber stickers that shout at you. Things like:

Save the Rainforest!
Save the Salmon!
Save the Earth!
Meat is murder!
Get the US OUT of the United Nations!
Etc.,etc.,etc.

Now, I don't care about your political persuasion, but to me, shouting at everyone from a bumper sticker has to be just about the lamest and most annoying and silly way to do anything. You want to save the rainforest, voluteer or send a check, don't shout at me. And how the hell am I going to save the earth?!

It makes me think the person is both lazy and obnoxious, and I find myself a bit less enthusiastic about their cause, whatever it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Today I saw one that said something like "I'll skip the tea and take progress." It was obviously an anti-tea party bumper sticker. I don't think that one's going to make anyone support liberal causes or vote Democrat. And, to be honest, as a non-tea party supporting Republican - I was actually a little turned off by it.

The other day I saw a huge one that said "Abortion hurts." I don't think that one's going to make any pro-choice people convert to being pro-life.

Fairly recently, I saw one that said "Southern Baptist - Keep Back 200 Feet." That one was just hilarious.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
How many of you see people with bumber stickers that shout at you. Things like:

Save the Rainforest!
Save the Salmon!
Save the Earth!
Meat is murder!
Etc.,etc.,etc.
I would LOVE a bumper sticker that had that on it!

Old 06-24-2012, 09:19 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
I like the ones that say, "If you want to save all the trees, try using plastic toilet paper."

Old 06-24-2012, 09:23 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,504,903 times
my personal fav:

Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Our license plates either state the county or "In God We Trust." I find that equally appalling as I find any bumper sticker. Perhaps I have evolved far past the mental age of a <20 year-old.

The only sticker I have ever liked said:

"My son was inmate of the month at L.A. County Jail."

This was when every single minivan in the nation had a "My child was student of the month at X school" sticker.

What I see a lot these days are the stick figure drawings showing who is part of the family: mom, dad, daughter, son, dog. I find them gag-worthy.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:28 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
This one should read: Bin Laden's dead. Cost: $200 billion
General Motors is alive. Cost: $50 billion

Obama-Biden: Worthless (please contribute)

Last edited by irishvanguard; 06-24-2012 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-24-2012, 09:36 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
People who put their beliefs on their cars, their shirts, their bags, etc., want you to pat them on the back for being so wonderfully enlightened. Thank Yewwww!

But political candidate bumper stickers? Nothing sadder than that years after an election --- that means you people still riding around with Al Gore bumper stickers you can't get off your car.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:51 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
We have a candidate bumber sticker thread going. This is a different angle. Small rant actually. How many of you see people with bumber stickers that shout at you. Things like:

Save the Rainforest!
Save the Salmon!
Save the Earth!
Meat is murder!
Etc.,etc.,etc.

Now, I don't care about your political persuasion, but to me, shouting at everyone from a bumper sticker has to be just about the lamest and most annoying and silly way to do anything. You want to save the rainforest, voluteer or send a check, don't shout at me. And how the hell am I going to save the earth?!

It makes me think the person is both lazy and obnoxious, and I find myself a bit less enthusiastic about their cause, whatever it is.
The funny thing about your rant is that fewer people will see someone's bumper sticker than will see your online rant about them.

I guess I just find it a little hypocritical of you to be complaining about the behavior of some people when you're essentially committing the same sin, just in a different medium.

Note that only one of our four cars has stickers of any kind, and they're there to add some specific character to that vehicle (Jeep built up for off-roading), so I'm not some sticker fanatic that simply took offense to your post. I like to keep my cars looking sharp, and they mess that up. I don't mind that other people use them, though. Actually, I get a kick out of a lot of them, and if nothing else, they break the monotony that driving can create.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Our license plates either state the county or "In God We Trust." I find that equally appalling as I find any bumper sticker. Perhaps I have evolved far past the mental age of a <20 year-old.

The only sticker I have ever liked said:

"My son was inmate of the month at L.A. County Jail."

This was when every single minivan in the nation had a "My child was student of the month at X school" sticker.

What I see a lot these days are the stick figure drawings showing who is part of the family: mom, dad, daughter, son, dog. I find them gag-worthy.
Perfect!

Agreed on the stick figures too. Gag city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies