Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 02:09 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,940,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Then I will ask the question once again. Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so why would Ford get the idea that they have to advertise to them in Spanish? I'll be waiting.
Why don't you ask FOrd and their marketing department?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,310,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Actually, my allegiance is first to my family, and then my country. I don't hold an allegiance to a language. I served in the Armed Services, and no where did I read that any languages outside of English were prohibited. Perhaps you might want to check the Constitution and point out where is says that English is the only language allowed.
It's morons such as yourself who are bringing our country down.
What does allegiance to your family have to do with this and how does that put your country second in allegience in regards to language? No one is saying that other languages are prohibited. It is about assimilating to our national language while still retaining your native language if you so choose. Sounds like your allegiance IS to your native language from your remarks.

Last edited by chicagonut; 06-22-2012 at 02:47 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 PM

68,325 posts, read 54,330,205 times
Quote:
Then I will ask the question once again. Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so why would Ford get the idea that they have to advertise to them in Spanish? I'll be waiting.
Have you actually seen many commercials in any language that would lead you to believe they represent a high degree of thought and sensibility?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I don't care what they think.

If you're going to respond, at least have the decency to actually answer the question.
Sure you don't care what they think because you are up for that double standard, aren't you? I answered your question. In short the U.S. is not allowed to retain their national language according to you but if that same outrage under that scenario were to occur in other countries you can't stand to face the truth that no country wants to lose their national language via illegal immigration. Sorry, you're not bright enough to realize that I did answer your question with an analogy.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:19 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,508,466 times
Quote:
Why don't you write or call Ford and see what response you get? Call up them up and pretend to be a journalist---say you've got an urgent deadline and need to talk to someone about that ad and their reasons for running it.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,517,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Romney speaks Spanish in new ad - The Washington Post

Judging by all the feigned outrage here it looks like HE should be their new enemy.
Oh, no! That can't happen because he has an (R) in front of his name!

Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
You'll have to ask Ford.

And, I'll repeat MY question:

Question: What would it hurt if Spanish became the dominant language in America?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Sure you don't care what they think because you are up for that double standard, aren't you? I answered your question. In short the U.S. is not allowed to retain their national language according to you but if that same outrage under that scenario were to occur in other countries you can't stand to face the truth that no country wants to lose their national language via illegal immigration. Sorry, you're not bright enough to realize that I did answer your question with an analogy.
I wasn't asking for an analogy. I was asking a simple question which wants a simple, direct answer.

ps: What "double standard" are you accusing me of?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
"Anchor babies" are natural-born US citizens. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the Constitution.

Legal or illegal is just a matter of paperwork but, in any case, the reality is that they're here one way or the other. If you think they should be thrown out, I'd be interested in hearing just exactly how you propose to do that, who would do it and how it would be paid for. Be specific please because nobody else has ever come up with a plan to locate, detain, temporarily house and deport somewhere between 11 and 20 million people or to account for the economic disruption of their precipitate absence.

I'm guessing you can lay all that out, right? Or, are you like the rest of the "America is for us and us only" Brigade and just think it should just magically happen?

I don't care what happens in Mexico. I'm not a Mexican. Are you?

Really? Prove it.
Did I say that anchor babies aren't American citizens according to the misinterpretation of the 14th amendment right now? Oh so, being in our country illegally is just a matter of paperwork? Yeah, on paper and by law I can't rob a bank either and not be punished for it. Why should illegals get a pass on their lawbreaking? Deportation is what our laws demand.

If we really secured our borders and took away all incentives to come here like jobs, benefits, and birthrigh citizenship most would leave and a lot fewer would come here. Our economy would improve immensely without them. Americans would get their jobs back at a decent wage and our tax coffers wouldn't be sucked dry covering their social costs. America IS for Americans. Sorry, you don't agree.

Nice dodge by saying you don't care how Mexicans would feel under the same scenario. You're double standards are truly amazing. You may not be Mexican but your certainly are sympathizing with their illegal kind rather than Americans. With this I will bid youa adieu. Welcome to my ignore lists. I have no further need to debate with such an anti-American hater. Bye.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM

15,522 posts, read 10,483,166 times
No, I didn't see any subtitles. You might want to go back into your tv's program setup and unclick that box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies