Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 07:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
If people today want to stand their ground with a 9lbs., 5ft. long, one-round, slow-to-reload, low accuracy musket, I don't have a problem with that.
are you suggesting that if the AK47 or the M16 was available in colonial times that the revolution would never have happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 07:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
are you suggesting that if the AK47 or the M16 was available in colonial times that the revolution would never have happened?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Standing your ground is fine. Stalking someone and causing a confrontation, then murdering the guy *you* instigated the altercation with is not.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
slap your head all you want, all you will do is bruise your forehead. apparently you have no answer to the question.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
slap your head all you want, all you will do is bruise your forehead. apparently you have no answer to the question.
Emoticons function as a visual representation of feeling, not necessarily physicality.

And your question has zero to do with the topic of the thread. Perhaps it would be interesting to those in the History forum. Or is there a science fiction forum. Perhaps a time-machine reenactment of the revolutionary war is in order?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,192,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little-acorn View Post
i am with my family on vacation in massachusetts now, typping this on a laptop computer in a motel. Brought them to lexington, ma yesterday, and stopped at the battle green, where colonists fired shots at the british troops who had come to their town to take away their guns.

Found this stone on the green, about 75 yards from the bigger memorial. It contains the orders given by the american captain of the farmers who showed up to try to resist the then-finest, most powerful army in the world.

When i can get the photo i took myself of the stone, i'll post it here. But this is exactly what was there.

"stand your ground" is about as american as it gets.
"Don't Fire Until Fired Upon".....

Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 PM

15,528 posts, read 10,496,731 times
I think the SYG laws are fantastic. However, just because Zimmerman is using that as his defense doesn't necessarily mean that is what actually happened. That has to be proved and I haven't seen all the evidence. I don't think that SYG means I'll just follow this guy all over the place for awhile and if I get pounced on I will SMG. I still tend to think they were both acting like little punks, we shall see when it goes to court.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I am with my family on vacation in Massachusetts now, typping this on a laptop computer in a motel. Brought them to Lexington, MA yesterday, and stopped at the Battle Green, where colonists fired shots at the British troops who had come to their town to take away their guns.

Found this stone on the Green, about 75 yards from the bigger memorial. It contains the orders given by the American captain of the farmers who showed up to try to resist the then-finest, most powerful army in the world.

When I can get the photo I took myself of the stone, I'll post it here. But this is exactly what was there.

"Stand your ground" is about as American as it gets.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS AND THESE LAWS ARE AS UNAMERICAN AS THEY GET. The BILL OF RIGHTS goes into much detail that an American can not be subjected to anyone acting as a police, Judge and jury and executioner subjecting a citizen to lethal force with out a trial by his peers . We used to call this a crime called murder which is the ultimate denigration of a citizens rights period. You don't seem to grasp that the reason those people were fighting on the bridge in Lexington was the force they were opposing believed this very thing and felt that as the King's representatives they didn't have to bother with a trial and could conclude that any British subject could be found in rebellion could be executed at that spot immediately. This is not American but very British the same British which are my ancestors! .
Now the British have evolved over the last several centuries and Britain even has a Bill of Rights which was required when Britian joined the European Union. On the other hand we seem to be hell bent on backsliding to a world that civilization left behind but we have our peers like Chins, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Mr Putin's Russia.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times
Better tried by twelve that carried by six.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:51 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times
Quote:

What this person also seems to be oblivious the fact Britain was entering into the Industrial Age with the ablity ability to make more modern guns in quanity which they did and endered up controlling 1/5th of the world and 1/3 of its people. The largest empire in human history and quite an achievement for a nation with less than 30 million people living in a nation about the same size as New England!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies