Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 08:21 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times

Advertisements

I'm anti-Zimmerman because he should never have been in that situation. He was the instigator. He was in his car when he called 911 to report a suspicious black guy. How'd he end up on the sidewalk with him?

I have no problem with Stand Your Ground when properly used.

The case of Zimmerman and that one recently ruled on in Texas, I feel, are not properly used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:35 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
I'm not liberal, but clearly agree with my liberal listmates on this issue. You don't have to be conservative or liberal to know morally that something is just not right. SYG has its place except for those who instigate situations allowing them to use the law to murder someone. SYG should be reformed to hold people like the guy in Texas and Zimmerman accountable. I hope that it is.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:44 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
If people today want to stand their ground with a 9lbs., 5ft. long, one-round, slow-to-reload, low accuracy musket, I don't have a problem with that.
Neither do I.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
"Don't Fire Until Fired Upon".....
I'm sure somewhere in there the American captain said. "Don't fire until fired upon, but if they come up and hit you in the nose, go ahead and shoot them."

Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
I can't think of anything MORE American than the SYG laws...

I don't care if Zimmerman called him 20 different racial slurs while stalking him down the street, if Martin was begging for his life and they found a 20 page murder plot on killing the next black kid walking through the neighborhood...

It is NOT grounds to repeal a law.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I'm sure somewhere in there the American captain said. "Don't fire until fired upon, but if they come up and hit you in the nose, go ahead and shoot them."
What if you come up to them and they hit you ? do you still have the right to kill them ?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:28 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Default Using the Revolutionary war as a metaphor for the Trayvon Martin shooting?

That's actually an interesting comparison.

One side wanting to be left alone, the other side insisting on having the authority to interfere.
One side being poorly armed, the other arriving backed with state of the art weaponry.

You can make the case that there are parallels, certainly.

It's just that in doing so, Zimmerman has to take on the role of the redcoats.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:44 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
What if you come up to them and they hit you ? do you still have the right to kill them ?
Well if I was in the revolutionary war I might ask them why they didn't shoot me or bayonet me.

If I were chasing some kid I didn't know around for no real reason I would probably understand that he was both threatened and upset.

However, me personally, I probably wouldn't kill them unless I was hungry.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
I have no issue with the SYG law, especially when it comes to protecting yourself. However, I think there is a problem when you start a conflict and then when you come out on the losing side decide you need to stand your ground.

For lack of better example: that's like kicking a dog and then shooting it because it bit your leg.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:57 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
George Zimmerman is a hero. He was forced to shoot a hoodlum who elected to confront him as some street gangster. Mr. Martin was the instrument of his own demise.

We desperately need good people like George Z who make every effort to protect their family and neighbors. Otherwise we might as well allow the druggies and thugs to enter our homes, rape our daughters, steal our possessions, and murder us in the process.

I only reason George Z was arrested was out of the fear that blacks would once again riot as they did in the Rodney King case killing innocent people, burning businesses, and most of all using this as an excuse to loot.

The real travesty here is that an innocent man, Mr. Zimmerman, is in jail in the hope to keep a disorderly group of thugs from trashing their cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies