Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 03:48 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times

Advertisements

I am with my family on vacation in Massachusetts now, typping this on a laptop computer in a motel. Brought them to Lexington, MA yesterday, and stopped at the Battle Green, where colonists fired shots at the British troops who had come to their town to take away their guns.

Found this stone on the Green, about 75 yards from the bigger memorial. It contains the orders given by the American captain of the farmers who showed up to try to resist the then-finest, most powerful army in the world.

When I can get the photo I took myself of the stone, I'll post it here. But this is exactly what was there.

"Stand your ground" is about as American as it gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 PM

Two liberal posts, both trying desperately to divert the discussion from the subject of the validity of Stand Your Ground laws.

Sad. These people are at the end of their rope.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I am with my family on vacation in Massachusetts now, typping this on a laptop computer in a motel. Brought them to Lexington, MA yesterday, and stopped at the Battle Green, where colonists fired shots at the British troops who had come to their town to take away their guns.

Found this stone on the Green, about 75 yards from the bigger memorial. It contains the orders given by the American captain of the farmers who showed up to try to resist the then-finest, most powerful army in the world.

When I can get the photo I took myself of the stone, I'll post it here. But this is exactly what was there.

"Stand your ground" is about as American as it gets.
Quote:
Tradition reports Parker's order at Lexington Green to have been, "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Parker_(captain)

Old 06-22-2012, 04:43 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Quote:
Two liberal posts, both trying desperately to divert the discussion from the subject of the validity of Stand Your Ground laws.

Yes they were sad posts and 100% off topic.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:43 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,288,429 times
Quote:

Glad to see your are having fun on your vacation

Old 06-22-2012, 04:44 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Well, I'm not going to take you to task for 'abandoning your family' for a quick message. LOL! Whatever that's about, I don't know. But I will take you to task for posting on an internet forum while you're on vacation in New England -- that's just wrong, dude. Beautiful country up there.

Anyway, I don't think 'SYG' laws are un-American; I think they're too American. America needs to change...in a lot of ways.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:

Yes, they are. And their ropes, much like their brainwaves, were awfully short to begin with. They didn't have far to go.

Guns are as American as apple pie and chiggars.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:53 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
So are we now making comparisons between some punk who shot some kid that he lost a fight to in Florida and Revolutionary War-era rebels resisting the British? Oh sure...that's not much of a stretch of the imagination.

Enjoy your vacation!

Last edited by Deezus; 06-22-2012 at 05:20 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 05:15 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
If people today want to stand their ground with a 9lbs., 5ft. long, one-round, slow-to-reload, low accuracy musket, I don't have a problem with that.

Old 06-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
If people today want to stand their ground with a 9lbs., 5ft. long, one-round, slow-to-reload, low accuracy musket, I don't have a problem with that.
Where's yours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies