Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. government ban wearing burqa/niqab in public?
Yes, it should be banned in all public places! 53 33.76%
Yeah, but only in federal/state buildings, airports, etc. 17 10.83%
No, they should be allowed to wear it 87 55.41%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times

Advertisements

This isn't Afghanistan, it's the USA. All that law would do is create mass protests. Then there'd be a real problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 12:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I know that sounds prejudiced and extreme. I am neither, but it is too easy, in today's troubled times, for terrorists to use such clothing as a disguise. It is illegal, in New York, to wear a mask while walking on the street.

This happened in Afghanistan by the Taliban.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/wo...it_ae_20120622

. . . what appeared to be seven Afghan women in characteristic head-to-toe blue burqas piled out (of a minivan).

Throwing off the burqas, the women turned out to be male insurgents, bristling with weapons and wearing bulky suicide vests packed with explosives. They raced into the hotel . . .

This just seems like the obvious thing to do by bad people. Why do we take such chances?

These people stormed into a hotel, went into the restaurant, and went table to table, shooting every male. The article implies that they were looking for foreign guests and prostitutes, but found none, although people were drinking alcohol. I

God help the families of these dead men.
Such mindless destruction, such evil.
No thanks.

Now what REALLY needs to be outlawed is men wearing flip flops in public and people over 25 years old wearing Abercrombie or Hollister. Skinny jeans shouldn't be too far being the banning of those things.

Those are clothing bans I can live with.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:18 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
I know that sounds prejudiced and extreme.
Yes it does.

Quote:
I am neither
Yes you are, if we are to take your thread premise seriously.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Burka's are just another way to keep the little lady in line, it's oppression. However, the government can't tell people what to wear.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:03 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Burka's are just another way to keep the little lady in line, it's oppression. However, the government can't tell people what to wear.
I totally agree with both your statements.

As a woman I am offended by woman wearing burka's in our country for one reason: woman in our country were once the property of men; we fought for - and won - the right to be our own person. Whenever I see a woman wearing the full outfit I want to scream THIS IS AMERICA. To me that full covering of the body and head tells me she is under the control of another person. It offends me that we (again - in the name of religion) allow men to treat woman as property in the United States.

Although it highly offends me, I would never tell someone what to wear or what not to wear. I can be mad without being intrusive. Although I would love to see a lot of clothes (saggy baggy pants) disappear, it is neither my business nor the business of the government.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:33 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
I know that sounds prejudiced and extreme. I am neither, but it is too easy, in today's troubled times, for terrorists to use such clothing as a disguise. It is illegal, in New York, to wear a mask while walking on the street.

This happened in Afghanistan by the Taliban.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/23/wo...it_ae_20120622

. . . what appeared to be seven Afghan women in characteristic head-to-toe blue burqas piled out (of a minivan).

Throwing off the burqas, the women turned out to be male insurgents, bristling with weapons and wearing bulky suicide vests packed with explosives. They raced into the hotel . . .

This just seems like the obvious thing to do by bad people. Why do we take such chances?

These people stormed into a hotel, went into the restaurant, and went table to table, shooting every male. The article implies that they were looking for foreign guests and prostitutes, but found none, although people were drinking alcohol.

God help the families of these dead men.
Such mindless destruction, such evil.
Don't be ridiculous. They can hide a bomb and weapons just as easily under any variety of Western-style clothing. If a terrorist or three are going to plot the attack of some American public venue, the're not going to be so stupid as to wear burqas. It's not the ones who look like your stereotypical dude on a camel in the desert that you need to worry about.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No thanks.

Now what REALLY needs to be outlawed is men wearing flip flops in public and people over 25 years old wearing Abercrombie or Hollister. Skinny jeans shouldn't be too far being the banning of those things.

Those are clothing bans I can live with.
Can we also agree that brightly-colored crocs worn by any human over the age of ten should be deemed an abomination against all things holy and thus banned as an insult to shoes given their unnatural plasticine nature that doesn't allow the wearer to sense normal road hazards? (Seriously, and I'm not kidding, these things have caused accidents among older children and adults on escalators--Google it). Women over 35 should also really stop wearing mini-skirts for propriety's sake, and we should probably also limit the amount of time white people spend leatherizing their skin in tanning booths because that brings on the serious fug.

Getting back to the subject of burkas, though, I have several summer maxi-dresses that tend to billow out from my slender frame and thus would allow me to conceal several weapons as well as some ammo quite easily, especially if I secured such materiel close to my legs. Once I would couple such outfits with some flowing summer cardigans to ward off cool sea breezes while sporting a pretty scarf or two, it's possible that I could have an entire flotilla somewhere under there. Now that I think about it, it is clear that all flowy garments must be done away with--religious freedom be dammed

Old 06-23-2012, 01:41 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Allowing burqas to be outlawed is less offensive to the Constitution than requiring Catholic institutions to provide birth control.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:46 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,228,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Allowing burqas to be outlawed is less offensive to the Constitution than requiring Catholic institutions to provide birth control.
Yet it's still offensive nonetheless.

Women wearing burkas or whatever else is protected by their religion and we live in a country where all religions are protected by the US Constitution and Bill of Rights. Freedom of religion as we like to call it.

I get your point, but just raising a counterpoint is all.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:22 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
None yet, but, give it some time. I think the burqua must hide an awful lot of ugle.
So do computer moniters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies