Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. government ban wearing burqa/niqab in public?
Yes, it should be banned in all public places! 53 33.76%
Yeah, but only in federal/state buildings, airports, etc. 17 10.83%
No, they should be allowed to wear it 87 55.41%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
So then a Christian should be allowed to wear cross in Saudi Arabia, right?
Yes. Why shouldn't she (or he)? I realize that Saudi Arabia might not be at a point where someone can openly wear a cross in public...but that's why we aren't Saudi Arabia...and don't aspire to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:42 PM

311 posts, read 605,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Yes. Why shouldn't she (or he)? I realize that Saudi Arabia might not be at a point where someone can openly wear a cross in public...but that's why we aren't Saudi Arabia...and don't aspire to be.
Anything other than Islamic stuff are prohibited in Saudi Arabia. This is terrible.
There are few million Christian workers living in Saudi Arabia, and they are not allowed to worship Christianity in public or private, even in ones' house. Saudi Arabia has religious police to make sure residents follow Islamic rules.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:30 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Oh yes, and also ban the saggy pants, the hipster glasses, the afros, the long hair...in fact, lets just mandate what you are allowed to wear.

Or maybe people need to start getting over themselves.
I'm christian, and I'd never support that initiative. Not in a million years.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,716 times
No it should not be banned BUT if ID is required of them in public then they either have to remove it to be indentified of they have to do without the product or service they are trying to aquire such as buying liquor or getting on an airplane. I would not expect to be allowed to do either wearing a ski mask,

Old 07-07-2012, 09:49 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
No it should not be banned BUT if ID is required of them in public then they either have to remove it to be indentified of they have to do without the product or service they are trying to aquire such as buying liquor or getting on an airplane. I would not expect to be allowed to do either wearing a ski mask

Ditto.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Saudi is an extreme country run by a monarchy which was installed and supported by American Oil interests to counter Nasser Arab nationalism. Saudi rulers are agents of america and the only way they can be accepted is by being religious hardliner.
Now answer this simple question- malaysia allows people to wear cross- so will you allow malaysian woman to wear burqa????
You can wear cross in most of the muslim countries-indonesia, malaysia, bangladesh, pakistan, UAE, Morocco etc.
it is funny that christian taliban in this country (Tea party type people) have to give extreme example of saudi arabia to enforce their own views of hate and intolerance towards minorities. Next step conservatives will propose to have separate sitting area in restaurants like segregation days????
Quote:
So then a Christian should be allowed to wear cross in Saudi Arabia, right?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Anything other than Islamic stuff are prohibited in Saudi Arabia. This is terrible.
There are few million Christian workers living in Saudi Arabia, and they are not allowed to worship Christianity in public or private, even in ones' house. Saudi Arabia has religious police to make sure residents follow Islamic rules.
Right. So why are you even comparing us to Saudi Arabia?

Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 AM

142 posts, read 164,791 times
I can't wear a ski mask into a bank or most public places, what if I started a cult that had this as a requirement? No Religion does not trump the public safety or security issues. Laws do not stop these people from adhering to their religion or beliefs it just says not in public. If you want to wear it at home its your right but if you want to go out in public the public safety comes first. That goes for Christian garbage as well as Muslim garbage and its all garbage and thats my belief.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidigger View Post
I can't wear a ski mask into a bank or most public places, what if I started a cult that had this as a requirement? No Religion does not trump the public safety or security issues. Laws do not stop these people from adhering to their religion or beliefs it just says not in public. If you want to wear it at home its your right but if you want to go out in public the public safety comes first. That goes for Christian garbage as well as Muslim garbage and its all garbage and thats my belief.
If you know anything about Islam, the main place that women who wear burqa', or even just hijab, wear it...is in public. At home, in the presence of only other women, male relatives, and their husband, women don't have to cover up.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:34 PM

311 posts, read 605,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Saudi is an extreme country run by a monarchy which was installed and supported by American Oil interests to counter Nasser Arab nationalism. Saudi rulers are agents of america and the only way they can be accepted is by being religious hardliner.
Now answer this simple question- malaysia allows people to wear cross- so will you allow malaysian woman to wear burqa????
You can wear cross in most of the muslim countries-indonesia, malaysia, bangladesh, pakistan, UAE, Morocco etc.
it is funny that christian taliban in this country (Tea party type people) have to give extreme example of saudi arabia to enforce their own views of hate and intolerance towards minorities. Next step conservatives will propose to have separate sitting area in restaurants like segregation days????
No don't tell me that Christians are allowed to wear cross in Muslim countries. You are in danger if you are "allowed" to wear it. When I visited Turkey (Among the most secular Muslim nation), I was looked down for wearing my Cross, and felt scared all the time until I removed it after first day.

The problem with us Christians are that we are very tolerant and nice, and with this tolerant everyone else attack and target us, that's why Christians are persecuted everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies