Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. government ban wearing burqa/niqab in public?
Yes, it should be banned in all public places! 53 33.76%
Yeah, but only in federal/state buildings, airports, etc. 17 10.83%
No, they should be allowed to wear it 87 55.41%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpanda View Post
The government shouldn't outlaw any clothes.
The government should outlaw ALL clothes.

Only togas are to be worn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There is a much higher incidence of crime committed by one religion as compared to all the others. I wish it were not so but I also do not chose to ignore that fact.
Citation requested

Old 05-09-2013, 11:29 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Never.

Any form of dressing, as long as it is a choice made by the person and no one else, is fine.

If you think burqas serve a threat because women can hide weapons, might as well ban jeans for having pockets that can hold knives.
How many people can a knife wielder kill before he is restrained? How many people can a suicide bomber kill in a crowded venue?

Any form of dressing is not all right, even now. Masks are forbidden to be worn in daily life in some places.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
Citation requested
Denied. Don't be silly!

Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,577 times
Quote:
Denied. Don't be silly!
So you don't actually have any evidence? As I figured.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,453 times
When they ban burkas, hijabs, niqabs, I'd also like to see a ban of all clothing that could be offensive to anyone. Shall I list some of the forms of clothing that might be considered objectionable to some people....I would be writing for hours.

As as far as I was aware, any ban of this nature would be completely unconstitutional and morally wrong. I understand not wearing face-coverings for any reason in government buildings, during court proceedings, when getting a driver's license or getting a government ID, and having to remove facial coverings in a traffic stop or if asked to do so by the police in the course of an investigation.

Otherwise, unless you're prepared to ban clothing that reveals too much of a person's body, there should be NO support for banning clothing items that reveal too little.

Unless, of course, this has nothing to do with what is appropriate clothing, and has far more to do with prejudice against Muslims. I also understand the worry about women being forced to wear burkas or niqabs, but why not worry equally about women living in hardcore Christian compounds where they must wear a specific kind of clothing because of social and religious pressures. What about the constraints of Mennonite women who are under the control of their husbands and must dress and comport themselves according to his will and the will of their community.

When society addresses all these situations, and does not focus strictly on what Muslims are wearing, maybe then this issue will have some credibility and not just seem like another form of anti-Muslim prejudice.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:20 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,453 times
Quote:
Denied. Don't be silly!
Don't be silly?? I would also like to see some evidence that there are more crimes committed by Muslims in America than by other races. I think you'll find that Muslims commit fewer crimes than just about any other race in America.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
So you don't actually have any evidence? As I figured.
You'd have to be living in a hole in the ground to ask me for evidence of that. Since I don't think that is the case, I conclude that you're just trying to yank my string. Ain't gonna work. Not with me.

Google it yourself.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
When they ban burkas, hijabs, niqabs, I'd also like to see a ban of all clothing that could be offensive to anyone. Shall I list some of the forms of clothing that might be considered objectionable to some people....I would be writing for hours.

As as far as I was aware, any ban of this nature would be completely unconstitutional and morally wrong. I understand not wearing face-coverings for any reason in government buildings, during court proceedings, when getting a driver's license or getting a government ID, and having to remove facial coverings in a traffic stop or if asked to do so by the police in the course of an investigation.

Otherwise, unless you're prepared to ban clothing that reveals too much of a person's body, there should be NO support for banning clothing items that reveal too little.

Unless, of course, this has nothing to do with what is appropriate clothing, and has far more to do with prejudice against Muslims. I also understand the worry about women being forced to wear burkas or niqabs, but why not worry equally about women living in hardcore Christian compounds where they must wear a specific kind of clothing because of social and religious pressures. What about the constraints of Mennonite women who are under the control of their husbands and must dress and comport themselves according to his will and the will of their community.

When society addresses all these situations, and does not focus strictly on what Muslims are wearing, maybe then this issue will have some credibility and not just seem like another form of anti-Muslim prejudice.
You know the answer to that already. Those other cults don't kill their women for disobeying men. That's a BIG reason, don't you think?

Old 05-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Don't be silly?? I would also like to see some evidence that there are more crimes committed by Muslims in America than by other races. I think you'll find that Muslims commit fewer crimes than just about any other race in America.
Since when are Muslims a RACE? Maybe you need a dictionary. It's a cult, part religion, partly a culture. A culture because it takes over the entire life of an individual and demands total loyalty to IT and IT's laws, and not those of the country that the Muslim dwells in.

That's why it is not religion bashing to criticize Islam, because the bashing is directed toward the cultural part, the part that controls people's behaviors, and not the religious part, that asks them to love God and their neighbors.

Any other cult can be critiqued in the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies