Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:17 AM

79,911 posts, read 44,636,803 times

Advertisements

This is called progress. Going forward. Not getting all caught up in the way things were done in the past.

How is that working out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:30 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,755,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I'm sure they want to get pay raises for all the bullies they have to put up with. Bully pay will need to be added to some folks depending on the districts they are in soon. lol

"Certainly, students harassing teachers isn't new. John Ristow remembers an incident from his early days as a teacher's assistant in Alpena, Mich. A student in the class was upset that he was singled out by the lead teacher for disrupting other students who were trying to study. When Ristow passed him in the hall later that day, the middle school student lashed out.
"It was very nasty swear words that were extremely demeaning to my character," said Ristow, who now is head of communications for the Broward Teachers Union in Florida.
Ristow held out his hand and said, "Stop."
A security officer came by and asked if Ristow wanted her to take the boy to the principal's office. He said no, deciding to resolve the issue directly with the teacher and student instead. He brought both of them together, they discussed how inappropriate the behavior was and told the student he would face a suspension if it happened again.
"It never happened again," Ristow said."

Bullying of teachers more damaging in online era - Technology & science - Security - msnbc.com
When I was in middle school, that would have been met with a quick physical lesson in respect.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:36 AM

79,911 posts, read 44,636,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
When I was in middle school, that would have been met with a quick physical lesson in respect.
Same here and I would not have repeated at home what happened as then it would have been the same at home.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,320,486 times
Im 28 and I told my older coworkers (also AA) that the main reason some of these schools are isht is bc they let students run over these teachers. I believe in school choice, merit pay, vocational training for the non academically inclined, etc. but schools also need order.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM

3,592 posts, read 3,793,967 times
Teachers do get bullied. When I was in grade school there were a few incidents where one of the teacher's left the room crying. The school system doesn't need to do anything other than bring back the use of the ruler to instill discipline in the classroom. Some parents won't go for that, so I would say to let parents sign releases that allows teachers the ability to discipline their child under certain guidelines.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:31 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,257,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Teachers do get bullied. When I was in grade school there were a few incidents where one of the teacher's left the room crying. The school system doesn't need to do anything other than bring back the use of the ruler to instill discipline in the classroom. Some parents won't go for that, so I would say to let parents sign releases that allows teachers the ability to discipline their child under certain guidelines.
You don't need to hit kids to get them to behave--we're strict parents, we have responsible, nice kids, and we didn't spank ours. What we did do was make sure that we spelled out expectations really clearly, and there were unpleasant consequences that fit the crime when they dropped the ball. They knew what we expected, they knew what the consequences would be if they acted up, and they knew we'd follow through. My boys aren't perfect (no kid is), but they're turning into great young men, and we've had zero problems.

As far as school goes--most parents aren't going to let schools go back to rulers, and I don't think it's all that effective anyway. Lots of kids are rude because they're showing off for their friends, and they want the negative attention. Hitting them just makes the whole thing a bigger production, where they get even more attention--they want to be labeled the bad kid because it's cool. Misbehaving kids need to be removed from the classroom and put somewhere that isn't fun and where they can't show off. We have a very small school district, so for us that's usually a table in the principals office, often right beside his desk, etc. He's not a fun guy, and they don't look forward to being his study buddy for the day. Putting them in a huge detention room (where they can show off again) or sending them home (where they're going to love the day off playing xbox) doesn't do much. Even with that, I don't know what you expect if the parents are unwilling to do their job--discipline and good behavior starts at home.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:38 AM

17,183 posts, read 23,126,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Your thoughts about homosexuality and global warming are astoundingly ignorant but I agree with your original post. This idiot woman is being rewarded for being incompetent at her job. Her only job is to sit on a bus and discipline kids for a 15 minute shift! When my boss gives me work I don't want to do, should I record me crying to get sympathy? You somehow have come into agreement with the left who dislikes this woman while the right defends her.
If you are talking about the bus monitor, SHE didn't record herself, the stupid kids recorded it and put it on youtube. Honestly, at least get your facts straight.

And, no one I know on the left dislikes this woman. I would bet that many lefties gave money to the fund for her. It's the kids I won't defend in this case.

Also, where do you get 15 minute shift? I don't know how long the bus ride is in her case, but in my grandchilden's district, the school bus ride can last for an hour or more and we are not rural.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 85,002,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You don't need to hit kids to get them to behave--we're strict parents, we have responsible, nice kids, and we didn't spank ours. What we did do was make sure that we spelled out expectations really clearly, and there were unpleasant consequences that fit the crime when they dropped the ball. They knew what we expected, they knew what the consequences would be if they acted up, and they knew we'd follow through. My boys aren't perfect (no kid is), but they're turning into great young men, and we've had zero problems.

As far as school goes--most parents aren't going to let schools go back to rulers, and I don't think it's all that effective anyway. Lots of kids are rude because they're showing off for their friends, and they want the negative attention. Hitting them just makes the whole thing a bigger production, where they get even more attention--they want to be labeled the bad kid because it's cool. Misbehaving kids need to be removed from the classroom and put somewhere that isn't fun and where they can't show off. We have a very small school district, so for us that's usually a table in the principals office, often right beside his desk, etc. He's not a fun guy, and they don't look forward to being his study buddy for the day. Putting them in a huge detention room (where they can show off again) or sending them home (where they're going to love the day off playing xbox) doesn't do much. Even with that, I don't know what you expect if the parents are unwilling to do their job--discipline and good behavior starts at home.
That won't work in many inner city schools. You have students who are living with Grandma because there is no Dad and Mom is in jail. Try to talk to Grandma and she doesn't want to hear it because her grandkid is a good kid so the school is doing something wrong.

For the really bad ones, it's just a matter of waiting until they get arrested and sent to juvie because then they have to finish out the year off campus in an alternative classroom setting.

That's nice that you have very few misbehaving kids that they can sit with the Principal. I've been in schools where 3 full classrooms are used for ISS and they are full every day of the week.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:46 AM

3,592 posts, read 3,793,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Even with that, I don't know what you expect if the parents are unwilling to do their job--discipline and good behavior starts at home.
I understand that not every child is able to attend a school with a good environment or able to grow up in an environment such as the one that you set for your children. I'm just trying to be realistic. In the absence of good parenting, who else will do any disciplining other than the school system? The schools still have other tools available such as ISS, suspensions and expulsions. But bad behavior should be dealt with swiftly.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 85,002,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
I understand that not every child is able to attend a school with a good environment or able to grow up in an environment such as the one that you set for your children. I'm just trying to be realistic. In the absence of good parenting, who else will do any disciplining other than the school system? The schools still have other tools available such as ISS, suspensions and expulsions. But bad behavior should be dealt with swiftly.
So sitting in a room with worksheets sent by the teachers (ISS) doesn't do it. You have the same kids going to ISS week after week for the same misbehaviors.

If you are a kid who doesn't care, is sitting in a room for 1-2 days going to change your behavior ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies