Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an Openly Atheist President?
Yes 91 72.22%
No 35 27.78%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times

Advertisements

I said yes, but the truth is no because I don't vote in the presidential elections anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Wondered how long it would take for someone to bring Obama into the conversation
well we are discussing the president of the U.S. duh try to get the connection and contribute to the discussion instead of wondering why someone would bring up our current president.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,543 times
I'd prefer a Christian leader. Unfortunately, many politicians claim to be something they're not. So perhaps it doesn't matter. You should look more into how they've lived their lives, their values, trustworthiness, ECT.

Most don't seem to believe some them anyways it just don't know. An average of 40-something % don't know what Obamas religion really is

Many Americans Can't Name Obama's Religion

I think some just don't know, some don't believe him. I for one don't view a black liberation theology guy as a Christian, nor view a liar/deceiver as trustworthy

Old 06-24-2012, 08:04 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
New poll indicates Americans ready for an atheist President | The Zingularity

I'm not only ready but hoping to be able to vote for an openly atheist Presidential candidate in my lifetime. It's going to be great when we can finally get superstision out of the White House.
I really don't care if someone running for President is a "Christian", but when they act like Sarah Palin, George W. Bush, and the long trail of Republican ideologues who use Christianity as a tool to attack other people, stifle scientific research, and whip their base into a hysterical lather then you realize the alternative, an atheist, is alot more sensible, rational, and intelligent choice than the narrow minded ideologue who has to pander to the most extreme beliefs in society.

The Republican Party uses the extremist elements of Christianity to spread their message of division, hatred and exclusion, while the vast majority of rational Christian churches remain silent rather than face the wrath of the nutbags .

Old 06-24-2012, 08:34 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Since over 90% of Americans believe in God, and around 80% of Americans are Christians - it would be very hard for an atheist to become a president. Maybe, note that I said **maybe** if the openly Atheist candidate promise to not abolish religion, remove 'In God We Trust' as motto, remove Christmas Day as federal holiday and Good Friday as state holiday, and do not take away freedom of religion from us, then some people will vote for the person if he/she is good.

Remember many members on C-D are nonbelievers or might come from a secular/non-religious country, so don't go after the votes if "yes" is the majority.
Sad but true, Atheists are among the most mistrusted people in the U.S.
"""Sad but true, Atheists are among the most mistrusted people in the U.S.""

Maybe according to you ....good to see you trust all those CHRISTIAN politicians!!! They're so trustworthy!!
Those CHRISTIAN pedophile PRIESTS are so trustworthy!!!

Maybe you'd like to elect a nice christian priest who will demand that Cathoilc doctrine is the new law for EVERYONE???? He's a believer....

How about a Muslim President....??? She's a believer, too!!!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:46 PM

31,002 posts, read 22,045,160 times
I really don't think any of our President's have been Religous based on their behaviour and actions.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:08 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I really don't think any of our President's have been Religous based on their behaviour and actions.
Actually, our President's actions have excatly been indicitive of the average religous persons actions.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Actually, our President's actions have excatly been indicitive of the average religous persons actions.
"the average religious person"? What actions are we referring to now, wearing a suit on Sunday? Because these days, I'm not even sure the average religious person does THAT anymore...

I guess it would help to define "religious" at this point, though.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:20 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
"the average religious person"? What actions are we referring to now, wearing a suit on Sunday? Because these days, I'm not even sure the average religious person does THAT anymore...

I guess it would help to define "religious" at this point, though.
The average christian I encounter on a daily basis since every modern aged POTUS has claimed to be christian.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Okay, but what actions are you seeing these so-called Christian presidents share with your average religious person? What is it that you're seeing most of them do, that you see the Christian presidents doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies