Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,650,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So how long do think paid leave should be? Keep in mind a lot of woman already earn less for doing the same job a man does.
first of all it isn't a lot of women, a small percentage do earn less, but that has to do with lots of things, like years in the workforce for starters. Most women I know are earning the same as their male counterparts. We can play with these statistics all we want and we can make them agree with what we want them to say or prove.
Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,102,666 times
Having a baby is a major life event. I think she should get a few months off being paid something...maybe not her whole salary, but at least half. I think there's a thin line between giving too much time and not giving enough. You shouldn't be punished for having a baby, nor should you be ridiculously favored with a paid year off.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,795,944 times
Quote:
The biggest problem with paying people not to work is they get used to it and dont want to work anymore.
Waterboy, you have no idea what work it is with a newborn baby!

Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You do realize that most European countries are broke and going through a finiacial crisis?

Pitiful! Even Afghanistan gives 90 days paid maternity leave! United State........"0"!

Old 06-25-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why does paid maternity leave have anything to do with your standard of living?
If you have to ask, you obviously don't value family!

Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,140,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Pitiful! Even Afghanistan gives 90 days paid maternity leave! United State........"0"!
Lol yes let's be like Afghanistan. While we're at it, lets make our women walk around covered head to toe in Burqa.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:27 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,753,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
My children are in their 30s and 40s, so my childbearing days were pre gov't assisted everything.

Back in the 70s, maternity insurance was NOT an employee benefit. Couples desiring children paid extra for maternity coverage. As a teacher, I was allowed up to 3 years of UNPAID maternity leave - my job was guaranteed upon my return. However, we could not afford the 3 years and I went back two work 7-8 months after each birth.

We do have competing philosophies in this country. We have a strong push for children to be raised by a parent - usually the mother - while at the same time a huge negative knee jerk reaction to the idea of compensating women for doing exactly that.

I worked with a number of women who interrupted their careers to stay home with their young children. Many of them were married to men who made enough money to support their families - the key word being 'were'. These women gave up 10-12 years of income producing, retirement contributing years only to find themselves single moms by the time their children were teenagers.

I advise young women to never give up their careers - for any reason. It is just as important for a woman to prepare for her retirement years as it is for a man and you can't prepare if you're not working.
You bring up a great point. So many people give up so much for the kiddos, that they have nothing for themselves, and if the high earning spouse hits the road, things can get very ugly.

What I am see a lot of is parents who took out second mortgages to pay for the kids college,and not they (the parents) are in the tank.

With parenting, it is a tough call of when intensive commitment is needed, and when to teach the sprout to pull their weight. Obviously, in the first year of life, the balance should be toward the kid.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,724,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Name three jobs commonly held by women of child bearing age that could not be filled by a temp.
Doctor, lawyer, software developer.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
So how long do think paid leave should be? Keep in mind a lot of woman already earn less for doing the same job a man does.

Not true at all.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If you have to ask, you obviously don't value family!
I'm sure I value family much more than you.

If you can't answer the question, you probably don't value family. Being a leech is not a family value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies