Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
What do you mean by when all is said and done? You think a woman should quit her job because she would only be working to pay for daycare? And I was thinking it was the responsibility of both parents to pay for such thing? Why is the woman always the one expected to give it all up anyway? I have a 1 yr old and I still work full-time. Daddy works part-time and stays home with her.
I don't believe I mentioned daycare, which is but a part of the cost of holding a job. Nope. I checked. I didn't.

That said, you're correct in that daddies are just as responsible. I believe kids and families as a unit benefit when a parent is with the preschool kids or there to welcome them home from school. It's called being a parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:28 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
You do realize that most European countries are broke and going through a finiacial crisis?
Really? Most European countries!? So...Norway is broke and going through a financial crisis? Russia is? Germany then? Sweden is? Or Switzerland? How about Finland, are they broke? Maybe Austria? Belgium? Denmark? France? How about Poland? The Netherlands? Estonia? No? No one?

The reality, of course is that 5 countries in Europe are in trouble. Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and Ireland. They ran a US model low regulation banking economy, weak social safety nets, most with government borrowing to cover budgets. Pretty much the US model, and they got the same problem.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:30 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
It is a choice to have a child. and no one else's responsibility. No one owes you a maternity leave. Isn't it bad enough the home owners have to support the schools for your kids?

Hey, I want a vacation to Australia next year can I get the government to pay for it? Maybe they should as many as they take on me!

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
In America, having children is increasingly left to welfare dependents.

Contemplate this for a moment:

In nations with strong maternity leave, the employed people get up to a years paid maternity leave. The welfare recipients get nothing. Only people who work can get some of their tax money back that way.

In the US, the employed get very little, while the non-working get infinite paid maternity leave.
Unfortunately, this is true.

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I was just listening to a radio show today, where a European woman was relating that she was shocked by the short release American women get for maternity. Apparently, in her country, Slovenia, all women get a government paid maternity leave of 1 year.

I know that I have a staff member, and his wife actually is the higher earning member of the pair. She went back to work right away (within 8 weeks, with very little paid leave for either of them). I am rather aghast that he began commuting 10 miles each morning to drop off his 3 month old ( now 7 month old) daughter in day care at 7:45 near work am and picks her up at 5:15 pm.

My wife was fired about halfway through her pregnancy, and she did not return to work for five years. We received no maternity leave of any kind, but at least our son was with his mother during those early years. She now works 3/4 time, and that works pretty well. We are fortunate in that my salary is high enough to allow that.

Anyhow, enough of my anecdotes. What do you think of this issue? Who should pay for maternity leave (or paternity, if appropriate), and for how long? And why? This seems like a quality of life, parenting, policy issue of some importance.
You, the parents should.

Think about this....if your employer is responsible for paying you while you are on maternity leave, they also have can have the option of hiring women of child bearing age, or dictating their reproductive timing to correspond with business cycles.

If you want pure freedom and liberty, take responsibility for yourselves.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
People in this country are always looking for a hand out/entitlement. Your kids are YOUR responsibility, not MINE. You want extra time to be with your kids quite your job and take a reduction in lifestyle.

True.

We do way too much today to encourage having kids. We don't need more reasons for people to have kids that they cannot afford to support.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
In Israel working women get 3 months paid maternity leave and can take up to a year off from work (meaning the other 9 months are unpaid) if they wish before returning to their jobs.
I think that the USA Government should give some help (separate from regular sick leave) to working women when they have a baby. A woman should not lose her job because she has a baby. The country needs to continue to have a younger population to replace the work force that will be retire eventually.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In Israel working women get 3 months paid maternity leave and can take up to a year off from work (meaning the other 9 months are unpaid) if they wish before returning to their jobs.
I think that the USA Government should give some help (separate from regular sick leave) to working women when they have a baby. A woman should not lose her job because she has a baby. The country needs to continue to have a younger population to replace the work force that will be retire eventually.

So then what happens? Her employer fills the postion with someone else and when she is ready to come back to work either has to layoff the replacement employee ( and pay UI on them ) or carries a second not needed employee?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So then what happens? Her employer fills the postion with someone else and when she is ready to come back to work either has to layoff the replacement employee ( and pay UI on them ) or carries a second not needed employee?
They hire a replacement on a temporary contract. In most countries with long maternity leaves, filling a maternity leave temporary vacancy is the best way of getting into the job market after you graduate. Especially for a degree-level job, or for people who haven't gotten much on their CVs yet. Employers are more willing to take a chance on people in time-limited positions like that.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:39 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
In most countries with long maternity leaves, maternity leave vacancies are the best way of getting into the job market after you graduate. Especially for a degree-level job, or for people who haven't gotten much on their CVs yet.

But that still dosnt answer the question. What happens when she returns to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies