Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
2 weeks after a C section? That's pretty stupid. Are you telling this story like you're proud of it or something?
It really depends on how fast she heals, and what kind of work she does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:42 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I am telling it because people need to be held accountable for their own choices and decisions in life. I couldn't afford to take 3 months off without pay. I wasnt about to ask others to support my family. I am not one of those who think other people need to pay up.

Funny how I was told by a few people to go to the welfare office and ask for a handout. No thanks.

Working sucked because I was uncomfortable for a week or so but my boss is very understanding of the situation seeing that he had 3 c-sections herself. It's been a year and I don't regret it. We are all alive and have a roof over our heads and food in our bellies... And we are happy.

If I can sit on the couch at home... I can sit on a chair in front of the computer at work.... And get paid for it.
Ummm... Question... How did he have 3 c-sections herself?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Good point. I don't think society is ready for that though. Back in the days when one parent (usually the mother) stayed home, it was rare for a family to have more than one car. There were no cell phone bills, expensive summer camps, satellite tv, internet bills. Going out to dinner was something special and a rarity. People aren't ready to give all that up.

The price they are paying is the welfare of their children.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I don't think the government should be involved in it at all. Having children is a choice. It is the parents responsibility to plan it and pay for it. However I am not opposed to private companies paying for maternity leave.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'd like to see women get 6 months off at 50% pay, and I'm willing to pay more in taxes. I strongly believe in it.
I could see that if you dropped all of the other kid benefits from taxes.
No extra deductions for kids at all.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Really? Most European countries!? So...Norway is broke and going through a financial crisis? Russia is? Germany then? Sweden is? Or Switzerland? How about Finland, are they broke? Maybe Austria? Belgium? Denmark? France? How about Poland? The Netherlands? Estonia? No? No one?

The reality, of course is that 5 countries in Europe are in trouble. Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and Ireland. They ran a US model low regulation banking economy, weak social safety nets, most with government borrowing to cover budgets. Pretty much the US model, and they got the same problem.
You do realize that most european countries use the euro, and that if even one country is in trouble it can bring down the whole house of cards?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
The sad problem is, a country where the employed, taxpaying people is a declining percentage, is a country in trouble.

Yes, I agree. And having government require paid maternity leave will not impact that problem at all.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
So then what happens? Her employer fills the postion with someone else and when she is ready to come back to work either has to layoff the replacement employee ( and pay UI on them ) or carries a second not needed employee?
No.
They're hired as temporary employees.
There are temps all over the world!

You don't seem to know much about Europe, but don't let that stop you from commenting on it.

Quote:
But that still dosnt answer the question. What happens when she returns to work?
It was explained quite clearly in the post before yours.
They're TEMPORARY employees. They look for another job, or not.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
But that still dosnt answer the question. What happens when she returns to work?
I should think the "what happens" would be quite apparent. The temporary/contract employee is hired with the understanding that his/her job has an expiration date, and leaves.

It makes perfect sense to me; not only does this hiring pattern create opportunity for inexperienced workers to gain experience, it also creates opportunity for employees who may not want a long-term position. There is little added expense to the employer; because the employee is temporary and under contract, the employer pays no benefits. If the worker on maternity leave decides she doesn't want to come back, or wants to extend her leave, the employer has the option to extend the contract with the temporary employee, or hire the employee outright.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Really? Most European countries!? So...Norway is broke and going through a financial crisis? Russia is? Germany then? Sweden is? Or Switzerland? How about Finland, are they broke? Maybe Austria? Belgium? Denmark? France? How about Poland? The Netherlands? Estonia? No? No one?

The reality, of course is that 5 countries in Europe are in trouble. Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece and Ireland. They ran a US model low regulation banking economy, weak social safety nets, most with government borrowing to cover budgets. Pretty much the US model, and they got the same problem.
Maybe not "most", but certainly more than the five you listed. For example, Iceland and Belgium have huge economic issues. S&P has downgraded 15 Eurozone countries and put them on their credit watch list, including Austria, France, Malta, Slovenia, Slovakia and Cyprus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies