Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
Sorry, but don't you get to claim that all public schools have a leftist agenda. There's nothing 'leftist' about teaching actual science, instead of delusional fantasy such as 'Nessie' science.

The problem isn't the public schools. The problem is your extremist views, that kick you so far to the right, you can no longer identify with anything 'normal.' So, you end up thinking that everything and everyone is part of a liberal conspiracy.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Sorry, but don't you get to claim that all public schools have a leftist agenda. There's nothing 'leftist' about teaching actual science,
Anyone that thinks politics does not play a role in science across the board is being naive. Whether it's what is being taught in schools, being published in science journals, science departments at universities or any other level you can think of politics plays a huge role.

As far as the schools go here is Exhibit A which was shown to an entire generation of students, this single film has caused more damage to real science than possibly anything ever. You have an entire generation coming of age now that grew up knowing this is as fact based science:

An Inconvenient Truth Trailer - YouTube

It's more than just the science and with all the examples we have seen with teachers pushing a leftist agenda one has wonder how bad it is.
Quote:
The problem is your extremist views
I don't think my views are extremist at all and are more likely to reflect those of many in the population. I want to see children get the very best education they can and the only way I see that happening is by empowering the parents to make their own choices. If the overwhelming majority can benefit because a few lunatics want to teach their children nessie is real so be it.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Please. 90% of kids don't learn anything.

I think the Loch Ness Monster is interesting.

I've seen Bigfoot drinking a pina colada in Tulsa. We didn't talk religion.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
LOL. Louisiana wants bobby to run to "unload" him on us, they don't want him.

That's why we reelected him with nearly 70% of the vote.
Good things are happening in Louisiana and you don't know
what you're talking about. Because some tiny kook school
got a few bucks doesn't mean Nessie is new state policy.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:04 PM

336 posts, read 450,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Anyone that thinks politics does not play a role in science across the board is being naive. Whether it's what is being taught in schools, being published in science journals, science departments at universities or any other level you can think of politics plays a huge role.

As far as the schools go here is Exhibit A which was shown to an entire generation of students, this single film has caused more damage to real science than possibly anything ever. You have an entire generation coming of age now that grew up knowing this is as fact based science:

It's more than just the science and with all the examples we have seen with teachers pushing a leftist agenda one has wonder how bad it is.
I don't think my views are extremist at all and are more likely to reflect those of many in the population. I want to see children get the very best education they can and the only way I see that happening is by empowering the parents to make their own choices. If the overwhelming majority can benefit because a few lunatics want to teach their children nessie is real so be it.

How do the leftists, and liberals stand to benefit by making up false science about global warming? What? Do you think we all have stock in the latest windmill company? Can I assume that your handle gives us all a pretty big clue that you might not be the most objective person, when it comes to this topic?
Second, although I don't know your exact educational background, I'm pretty sure that your scholastic credentials probably aren't enough to offset the learned scientific opinions of 95% of all the Worlds environmental scientists. Hell, even that mouth breathing idiot Bush finally had to admit that Global warming was real. How does it feel to know that Bush figured it out before you?

I want to see children get the very best education they can and the only way I see that happening is by empowering the parents to make their own choices. If the overwhelming majority can benefit because a few lunatics want to teach their children nessie is real so be it.

Right. And it's made all the better if you can get the general tax payer to pay for it, all over again. Once for the regular public schools, and again with vouchers for your choosen right wing indoctrination camp.

Parents are already enpowered to make their own choices now. They just aren't enpowered to force general taxpayers to pay for their childrens religious education.

Vouchers can't succeed. Once some students start to opt out, then all students will opt out, using the same taxpayer money. (why not, it's free right?)The end result is everyone ends up right back in the same situation again. Everyone attending the same voucher school.

If you really want to change things up, we should consider the Finland school model. No private schools. No church based schools. Everyone attends the same schools, and everyone is invested in the positive outcome of the common public schools. End result, Finland consistantly leads the World in student testing scores.

We can't keep letting private schools, charter schools, magnet schools, and church based schools continue to carve all of the best students, the most involved parents, and the families with the most money, out of the public school system, and then complain that the public schools aren't as good as they used to be.

Last edited by JaxBlueMan; 06-26-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:

How do the leftists, and liberals stand to benefit by making up false science about global warming? What? Do you think we all have stock in the latest windmill company? Can I assume that your handle gives us all a pretty big clue that you might not be the most objective person, when it comes to this topic?
Second, although I don't know your exact educational background, I'm pretty sure that your scholastic credentials probably aren't enough to offset the learned scientific opinions of 95% of all the Worlds environmental scientists. Hell, even that mouth breathing idiot Bush finally had to admit that Global warming was real. How does it feel to be slower than Bush?

I want to see children get the very best education they can and the only way I see that happening is by empowering the parents to make their own choices. If the overwhelming majority can benefit because a few lunatics want to teach their children nessie is real so be it.

Right. And it's made all the better if you can get the general tax payer to pay for it, all over again. Once for the regular public schools, and again for your choosen right wing indoctrination camp.

Vouchers can't succeed. Once some students start to opt out, then all students will opt out, using the same taxpayer money. (why not, it's free right?)The end result is everyone ends up right back in the same situation again. Everyone attending the same voucher school.

If you really want to change things up, we should consider the Finland school model. No private schools. No church based schools. Everyone attends the same schools, and everyone is invested in the positive outcome of the common public schools. End result, Finland consistantly leads the World in student testing scores.

We can't keep letting private schools, charter schools, magnet schools, and church based schools continue to carve all of the best students, the most involved parents, the families with the most money, out of the public school system, and then complain that the public schools aren't as good as they used to be.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,430 times
"Tomorrow we will learn that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were leveled by Godzilla".

Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 PM

336 posts, read 450,185 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
"Tomorrow we will learn that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were leveled by Godzilla".
That's already been part of the Louisiana curriculum, since 1946.

Atomic bombs are just a myth, and a leftist conspiracy, used to scare the common citizens, in order to keep them all under control.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Let me ask you this, do you think it's fair that someone sending their child to a religious school is paying taxes to fund someone else's education in a school they don't want to send their child too?
Perfectly fair. Presumably they wish the country to have scientists, engineers etc. to keep things running in their later life, and the "Nessie-is-real" crowd is not going to be worth much in that respect.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:43 PM

I have to wonder what this text book actually says. There is no physical evidence of The Loch Ness Monster other than hoaxes and heresay. The sheer fantasy factor of this creature makes it very much in line with the fables of the Bible, so why should anyone be surprised that these nitwits want to incorporate it into the rest of the hooey. They need to fund their own schools of mytholgical education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies