Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from White Guilt?
Yes 16 5.65%
No 267 94.35%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM

186 posts, read 263,373 times

Advertisements

There is only ONE race. It is the HUMAN race. If you think skin color is holding you back, then how come 3/4 of the USA is trying to get darker (tanning, spray ons). If you want to see real prejudice, try being fat, or short, or be coverd in acne or psorisis, or any one of a 1000 things that the perfect hollywood tv types are that the most of america are not.

We need to focus on our unity, on being brothers and sisters, on helping each other and giving a hand up and not a hand out.

We need to focus on America. No I don't feel guilty about what people did a long time ago to other people a long time ago. People fed Christians to lions. People have been messing each other up since Cain slew Able. We need to stop whining and start DOING.

PS: If I was inclined to be prejudice, I would only hang out/make friends with someone of my BLOOD TYPE. If something bad happens I only want friends who can donate blood or a kidney.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:36 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Nope, because I am just as good to those of other races as I am to whites. I haven't done anything to feel guilty over.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:43 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Do you then think that our society today is free from racism and discrimination?
No. Never has been. Never will be. And it's no different from every other country in the world.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:59 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
My dad is the hardest working person I've ever met. All his life he has suffered frustrations: from raising a family WELL below the poverty line in the L.A. area to opening a business only to see it eventually fail. Despite the setbacks and personal losses, my dad is not bitter about hard work. His attitude about his business, "At least now I know..." No job was ever beneath him as he raised his family. He worked hard for everything he ever had, and expected nothing for free. His biggest goal with respect to his family was to provide for us something he did not have as a kid. He has three siblings, and not a one of them has the same dad. (I love you anyway, Grandma!) Considering my dad was born in the 1950s, this was a rarity. At points in his childhood he had to fight off stepdads and other drunks who became abusive to his mom. This sort of conduct is something I never had to deal with in my childhood.

This past March my parents were visiting just before I graduated from grad school. They were unable to attend the graduation ceremony but happened to be with me the day my thesis was accepted. My dad, who does not have a degree, went with me as I signed my thesis over to the school, essentially completing my Master's Degree. My parents did not pay for my college education, nor did I take out any student loans. My dad told me that day that he wished that he could have done more for us. I laughed and told him that I wouldn't have had it any other way. This is because I learned work ethic from him. At least I hope I did, I still don't think I have a fraction of his work ethic.

Now I think it is natural to want for your kids to have it better than you did. In terms of material stuff, my kids are much better off than I ever was. But as for the important stuff, stuff like character, work ethic, and values, this is an effort that will last until they are young adults. And while I am up for the challenge, I am hoping and praying that I do as good a job with my kids as my dad did with me and my siblings.

So what does all this have to do with white privilege or white guilt? Well, I came from a poor family in a not-so-nice neighborhood in L.A. County and have a Master's Degree today as a result of my own hard work and determination; qualities that I learned from a dad who cared. To suggest that my accomplishments were a result of anything BUT my hard work and determination (IE: To suggest I was aided by white privilege) is an insult. It is no less racist than to tell a black student that he is in a major university solely as an Affirmative Action quota.

I credit my dad's hard work and sacrifices for setting me up for success. And while I like to think that my dad's sacrifices were extraordinary, the truth is that any parent who cares is capable of doing the same. A parent is no less capable of caring for their children due to race. This notion is ridiculous.

So do I suffer from white guilt? Absolutely not. Do I believe in white privilege? From a guy who has had to work for everything I own and expects nothing to be handed to me, put me down for a resounding "NO!"

Old 06-26-2012, 06:08 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,098,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
My dad is the hardest working person I've ever met. All his life he has suffered frustrations: from raising a family WELL below the poverty line in the L.A. area to opening a business only to see it eventually fail. Despite the setbacks and personal losses, my dad is not bitter about hard work. His attitude about his business, "At least now I know..." No job was ever beneath him as he raised his family. He worked hard for everything he ever had, and expected nothing for free. His biggest goal with respect to his family was to provide for us something he did not have as a kid. He has three siblings, and not a one of them has the same dad. (I love you anyway, Grandma!) Considering my dad was born in the 1950s, this was a rarity. At points in his childhood he had to fight off stepdads and other drunks who became abusive to his mom. This sort of conduct is something I never had to deal with in my childhood.

This past March my parents were visiting just before I graduated from grad school. They were unable to attend the graduation ceremony but happened to be with me the day my thesis was accepted. My dad, who does not have a degree, went with me as I signed my thesis over to the school, essentially completing my Master's Degree. My parents did not pay for my college education, nor did I take out any student loans. My dad told me that day that he wished that he could have done more for us. I laughed and told him that I wouldn't have had it any other way. This is because I learned work ethic from him. At least I hope I did, I still don't think I have a fraction of his work ethic.

Now I think it is natural to want for your kids to have it better than you did. In terms of material stuff, my kids are much better off than I ever was. But as for the important stuff, stuff like character, work ethic, and values, this is an effort that will last until they are young adults. And while I am up for the challenge, I am hoping and praying that I do as good a job with my kids as my dad did with me and my siblings.

So what does all this have to do with white privilege or white guilt? Well, I came from a poor family in a not-so-nice neighborhood in L.A. County and have a Master's Degree today as a result of my own hard work and determination; qualities that I learned from a dad who cared. To suggest that my accomplishments were a result of anything BUT my hard work and determination (IE: To suggest I was aided by white privilege) is an insult. It is no less racist than to tell a black student that he is in a major university solely as an Affirmative Action quota.

I credit my dad's hard work and sacrifices for setting me up for success. And while I like to think that my dad's sacrifices were extraordinary, the truth is that any parent who cares is capable of doing the same. A parent is no less capable of caring for their children due to race. This notion is ridiculous.

So do I suffer from white guilt? Absolutely not. Do I believe in white privilege? From a guy who has had to work for everything I own and expects nothing to be handed to me, put me down for a resounding "NO!"
The 95% of White people who aren't the descendants of plantation owners have the same types of stories.

It's refreshing to see so many people rejecting the guilt complex that the media and academia try to place on the backs of the average White in this country.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I've simply done nothing to feel guilty about.
Me either. I have worked for everything I have.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
The 95% of White people who aren't the descendants of plantation owners have the same types of stories.

It's refreshing to see so many people rejecting the guilt complex that the media and academia try to place on the backs of the average White in this country.
Yes, it is and you wouldn't believe the number of self-hating, guilt ridden whites I have come across over the years and not just over what happened to the blacks in the past but about the whole native indian issue also. Why would any sane white person feel guilty over something they played no role and in many cases neither did their ancestors.? Think I'll buy them all a leather whip that they can use on themselves daily and maybe they'll leave the rest of us alone.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Joke thread, right?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Back in the 10th century europeans said this prayer..."God save us from the arrows of the Hungarians".

Don't feel any guilt about that and even shoot my bow everyday.

What's this white guilt your talking about?

Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
What kind of question is that? White guilt? So where is the black and yellow and brown guilt? Not all "whites" have the same family history- Not all of their great grandfathers were abusive slave owners. To blanket all white people with this blanket is inaccurate- If you want to talk about people that abuse or oppress others- The classic oppressor and abuser does not care about what color the victim is- And world wide if you look at the tyrants that should feel guilty- They come in all colors.

No I do not suffer from white guilt- I have not found that my skin tone has given me any real advantage over those that are not "white" - This race thing is getting real tiresome and dated...When will we stop talking about this stuff? People are people and as time goes on we see race less and less- The world has changed- so catch up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies