Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from White Guilt?
Yes 16 5.65%
No 267 94.35%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
If so many African Americans have such a problem with white people, and how the power is divvied up along with the "lack of opportunity", why not go somewhere else where you have more opportunity, more equality, more of a chance to make it in life? That's what many other people did.
Because we're African AMERICANS.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
And why would the continent with the most adundant resources in the world need aid in the first place hmmmm could it be from the colonies of Great Britain, Portugal, France ect? Btw, Africa has nothing to do with the plight of Blacks in America.
I thought I had read many places that many African tribes enslaved their enemies to sell them to white people for transportation to the New World to serve as slaves. Is that all lies or not?

Old 06-28-2012, 02:13 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
I am proud of my English, Scottish, Danish, and Swedish heritage. I have nothing to be ashamed of! I will not apologize for anything my ancestors have done.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 PM

798 posts, read 1,033,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Let's grant this - why should I feel guitly?
You shouldn't. I don't blame white people for anything. I'm simply saying that white people have it easier than minorities - which is obvious because the majority has control. This is the "white privilege." Similar to how it is better in our society to be a male rather than a female.

Any white who is feels guilty is silly. Any white who thinks that being white does not give them a benefit is also silly. Any man who thinks that having a Y chromosome doesn't improve his chances is silly. You get my point.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:16 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Because we're African AMERICANS.
I think his point might have been - since you have the freedom to leave and feel discriminated against and lack certain opportunities and prviliges and equality - why not go somewhere else to find it. Many Germans felt they were still Germans when they fled oppresive conditions just as the Irish without denying that they were Irish.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:16 PM

71 posts, read 73,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I don't have a problem with white people. The high school I attended in Texas was 30% white, 30% black, 30% Hispanic, and 10% Asian or Native American. I have as many white friends as black friends and Hispanic friends and Asian friends.

That said, I do believe there is a privilege to being white. Just like there is a privilege of living in the U.S. In most cases, because of the aforementioned qualities, there are less barriers to pass. But it is hard for me to believe that a white person runs into the same discrimination as a black, and I'm not talking about being refused service or being served in the back of a restaurant.

It is rough to go through life with everyone thinking that your successes were aided by someone else, and that you did not work as hard as someone else. Whites do not face that scrutiny nearly as much as blacks do. That is a privilege; why deny it? It is not stopping me from outpacing and showing you up, so I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me.
I think part of it is you perception, not every white person looks at you this way. Second, some of it has nothing to do with slavery but the fact that many whites associate Blacks with trouble: noisy neighbors, high crime etc. Lots of whites see Black kids play basketball all they long while their kids are working on homework...

A lot of whites is very suspicious of Blacks but simply because Black don't necessarily have the best opinion among other races and ethnic groups in the US... Yes, it is prejudice but there are statistics to show a lot of this prejudice is simply learned.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
You shouldn't. I don't blame white people for anything. I'm simply saying that white people have it easier than minorities - which is obvious because the majority has control. This is the "white privilege." .
It's the majority privilege. It sucks to be a minority. Any minority. I agree with that.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
1 word: Timbuktu. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbuktu#Education

Timbuktu was a world center for Muslim education and possessed several libraries. A hub for the trade of salt, gold, and -- ironically -- slaves.

Something tells me you think that Africa has been in the dark for centuries. The reality is that African empires had equatable power to the Roman Empire, but look what happened to them. Countries rise and fall, depending on the era. I'm sure there are several societies we don't even know about.

So before Timbuktu was colonized by Europeans it was colonized by Muslim Arabs. Great
What does that prove?

Of course there could be societies we don't know about but most leave something behind. That's how we learn about them. Sub-Saharan Africa was very dark as a matter of fact it is still very dark with violence, slavery and overwhelming poverty.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:23 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
You shouldn't. I don't blame white people for anything. I'm simply saying that white people have it easier than minorities - which is obvious because the majority has control. This is the "white privilege." Similar to how it is better in our society to be a male rather than a female.

Any white who is feels guilty is silly. Any white who thinks that being white does not give them a benefit is also silly. Any man who thinks that having a Y chromosome doesn't improve his chances is silly. You get my point.
I do! But this is a massive generalization. I don't feel I get any benifit from just being white even though I am sure at some level and for some whites it does. I have had people discrimante against me - it sucks - but this is just the way some people are going to act particualrly given the tendency that humans have for triblisms. The best a people can do with the goverment they have is to assure legal equality. Socially, it takes a different path to counter-act such things.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:25 PM

798 posts, read 1,033,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmind View Post
I think part of it is you perception, not every white person looks at you this way. Second, some of it has nothing to do with slavery but the fact that many whites associate Blacks with trouble: noisy neighbors, high crime etc. Lots of whites see Black kids play basketball all they long while their kids are working on homework...

A lot of whites is very suspicious of Blacks but simply because Black don't necessarily have the best opinion among other races and ethnic groups in the US... Yes, it is prejudice but there are statistics to show a lot of this prejudice is simply learned.
I understand that. I grew up around a lot of races and cultures, and found people to be accepting. So in most cases, when I encounter a new person, I assume that we will consider each other equals.

And yes I understand where the perceptions come from and I am not denying them; I am just saying this is a disadvantage not felt by whites. Just how the cards were dealt, got to play what you are given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies