Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from White Guilt?
Yes 16 5.65%
No 267 94.35%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times

Advertisements

Not one damn bit

Old 06-26-2012, 06:51 AM

5 posts, read 4,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Which is what most people say. But you did inherit the "white privilege" today due to the acts of those in our past. Do you think that's far? Can you admit you have it much better than your fellow black citizen in this country?
No, White Privilege in the USA doesn't exist anymore than Black Privilege exists in Ghana, Nigeria, etc. White people built this country and were 90% Of the population until the 1970s. If the privilege exists it exists because Whites built/founded the country the same way Japanese privilege exists in Japan or Chinese privilege exists in China. Understand?

Black people in the USA have it MUCH MUCH better than in any country they are a majority, including those places that sold them into slavery.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker45 View Post
No, White Privilege in the USA doesn't exist anymore than Black Privilege exists in Ghana, Nigeria, etc. White people built this country and were 90% Of the population until the 1970s. If the privilege exists it exists because Whites built/founded the country the same way Japanese privilege exists in Japan or Chinese privilege exists in China. Understand?

Black people in the USA have it MUCH MUCH better than in any country they are a majority, including those places that sold them into slavery.
OMG...did you skip out on US History 101 in school? I would be so embarrassed if I were you.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
My ancestors came to this country in the early 1900s, after slavery was abolished. Actually no whites living today should feel any guilt whatsoever about events that took place well before they were born.

Last edited by Jay F; 06-26-2012 at 07:32 AM..

Old 06-26-2012, 07:29 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Do you suffer from White Guilt? If so, why? If you don't, why don't you?
Why should I?

Quote:
The ancestors of Whites (and even some still alive today), were part of a society that committed some of the worst crimes against humanity in this country.

Should Whites today feel guilty? Many say there are not responsible for what their ancestors did. However, Whites have inherited the results of that history, such as inherited wealth, access to education, lack of discrimination.
You talk about my ancestors, and you are quite right that I am not responsible for what they did. As far as inherited wealth, access to education, lack of discrimination - whites do face discrimination in many cases. As far as "inherited wealth and access to education," many whites were born into poor families and have a much harder time than minorities born into middle or upper income families. I was lucky in that I was born into a fairly well off family and had access to better education and the like than many kids. Of course this was more likely with me being white, but it certainly could have happened if I was a minority and it certainly could not have happened despite me being white.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
white guilt. u r so right. interesting insight too. all successes and achievements in the history of the world are now perceived as racial exploit. today if a wasp kid gets an A in class or a promotion on the job its an insidious exploitation of the AA community. any attempt to correct or discipline as to academic achievement or criminal behavior is a vicious suppression of the AA community. white guilt. its over marketed. i fear soon it will go the way of the slinky.
the greatest unseen threat to the AA communities nationwide is that the sunamie of illegal mexican people dont have any.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
A very small percentage of white people owned slaves; the majority of today's white people are not descendents of slave owners. Of course blacks were not treated as equals for many years after that, but that's where the most direct benefit was economically. My ancestors were Irish immigrants who did not benefit from anything but hard work. I hold no white guilt nor can I claim responsibility for their hard work. Since I'm not responsible for their work, I'm not sure how anyone else should feel responsible for their ancestors' actions and feel guilt for it. Certainly there are shameful periods in our history, but I don't know of any country that doesn't have those. All we can do is move on and do our best.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Do you then think that our society today is free from racism and discrimination? Do you think that one's life circumstance or the status you are born into today has no effect on someone's life?
My grandfather and great grandfather were coal miners. They could only legally live in housing provided by the mining company, and could only legally buy supplies from the mining company's store as long as they were employed there. They were not paid in cash, they were paid in credit towards the company housing and store. They also were not paid enough to cover basic living expenses, so they had to live off of credit given to them by the mining company, making it illegal to quit as long as they owed the company any money. So they were stuck working in a coal mine 12-14 hours/day. Hell, my grandfather wasn't allowed to wear shoes when he wasn't in school or church because that would wear them out faster than they could afford to buy new ones.

So forgive me if I don't think rasicm is something we should care about. More than just african americans have ancestors with backgrounds of slavery in this country. Stop using the past as an excuse and go make something of yourself.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
That is not what I am saying. It's a question. Some have it, some don't.

Whites have inherited what their ancestors did to Blacks and Indians in this country. So knowing this, would you feel any guilt over it. It's easy to say no. But why not? Whites enjoy "White Privilege" in this country because of our country's history.

well looks at it this way the blacks would still be in africa if white people did not sail across the great oceans and buy slaves for metal trinkets.. remember most of them slaves were sold by their own people..

as far as the indians go, they definitely got screwed..!! and still are.. just look at south america, indigenous peoples are getting the short end of the stick by the hands of hispanics,,

do i feel guilty? not realy..

Old 06-26-2012, 08:07 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
My grandfather and great grandfather were coal miners. They could only legally live in housing provided by the mining company, and could only legally buy supplies from the mining company's store as long as they were employed there. They were not paid in cash, they were paid in credit towards the company housing and store. They also were not paid enough to cover basic living expenses, so they had to live off of credit given to them by the mining company, making it illegal to quit as long as they owed the company any money. So they were stuck working in a coal mine 12-14 hours/day. Hell, my grandfather wasn't allowed to wear shoes when he wasn't in school or church because that would wear them out faster than they could afford to buy new ones.

So forgive me if I don't think rasicm is something we should care about. More than just african americans have ancestors with backgrounds of slavery in this country. Stop using the past as an excuse and go make something of yourself.
Indeed. "I owe my soul to the company store."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies