Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from White Guilt?
Yes 16 5.65%
No 267 94.35%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,699,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
What language? What culture? Were there universities where most of the slaves came from? LOL The tribes there were part of spoke languages that did not have an alphabet... What are you talking about?

What Africans come to America and run circles around Whites? Did you mean the Nigerian scammers? LOL
Which Black African country can be an example of success, stability or safety? Do you even realize that most of Africa is extremely poor and survives due to humanitarian action of the world?

Stop making excuses.
Ancient African societies had universities. Do your research on ancient Timbuktu in western Africa, where people around the world studied until the Indo-Europeans torn it down and destroyed it.

Numerous schools in Africa today have a curriculum similar to that of colleges.

Have you ever been to Africa?

There are numerous well developed parts of Africa.

All Africa isn't diesease and AIDS and starvation.

And the reason why there are the bad areas of Africa is because it has been raped and plundered for thousands of years.

Africa has about every important resource that you can name. From oil, diamonds, gold ect.

In essense, Africa is the world's richest continent just because of it's incredibly valuable resources.

Africa is a shell of what it used to be because of the Muslims and Indo-Europeans who conquered and invaded countless numbers of times throughout the centuries.

However, Africa is rebuilding as we speak. Africans have always rebuilt despite fallen empires and civilizations.

Even to this day, Africa is being used for its resources by greedy corporations.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,178,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is soooo easy to quote some Bs that you heard and instead of looking into the reason why the may be true, is'nt it?

As far as the "black kids" are so interested in shooting hoops remark, did it ever occur to your ignorant ass that is how many of them get into college in the first place! Which they are promptly exploited by the Universities without pay. I don't hear you mentioning the white kids that play hockey, tannis, golf ect or the latinoa kids that are interested in baseball or soccer why are you singling out black kids? Do you know any of them personally or at least talked to those who actually want to go to college but cannot afford it?

Of course you have no clue as to why their is such a large disparity in the black incarseration rates of young blackmen or just people in general because you never asked just repeated the same bs that faux and other right wing talk shows tell you. There are a variety of reason for the disparities but listing them would not do you a bit of good
The problem is, they aren't there for college, or learning. They are there to play basketball, and get drafted. If they are exceptionally good and don't finish, not important. The colleges go alone, hire 'tutors' and having done tutoring including a few athletes, I wonder how much the tutor does the work and the 'student' writes it down. I wouldn't and a few got someone else.

These young black men who get to go to college to play sports are used by the colleges, but quite willingly. I find it hard to feel sorry for them. Instead, I'd put a strict rule in place. No matter if they are the best in their sport, if they cannot keep a proper gpa then they don't play. Period. And I don't mean with extensive tutoring. A white kid who plays in marching band can't march if his gpa doesn't hold. Why should an athlete get a pass? Apply the same rules to both.

If they can't take a regular course, give them remedial classes. ALL undergrad schools have them, even some stuff you should know in elementary school. They have to put in the time and effort to make these classed effective or bye bye schlorship. They have a requirement of getting their usable, testable level of knowledge up to snuff soon enough or they are off the team until they do. Apply FAIR standards that apply to everyone else.

If young black men who want to get somewhere want to enough, they'll practice the hoops, but the math and the english and the science and reading too. I'd give them a year or two semi-pass to get up to college level, but no more.

College is supposed to be about learning and gaining skills which last you a lifetime. Learning proper English, how to write a good letter, sufficent math, how to read well, and the like will do that. Thowing a ball will not. Only some of the hopefuls get to claim the big money. The rest have dreams which just got dashed. If they used college for what it is supposed to be for, then they have more gold than they started with. If they slid by with free passes they wasted everyone's money.

I personally advocate taking the excess funds which sports eats up and using it on better libraries, tutoring, and learning. College should not be the Junior NBA, just the place you might get there IF you are a student FIRST. Let the sports teams have a minor leage and skip the illusions.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
At which university in which country they teach this version of "history"? LOL
There are books on the subject, don't know the title but blacks and whites were slaves together in America.

If you know anything about history, you'd know that the concept was of RACE was created in the 1600s.

Before the 1600s, there was no such thing as "race".

Old 06-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The problem is, they aren't there for college, or learning. They are there to play basketball, and get drafted. If they are exceptionally good and don't finish, not important. The colleges go alone, hire 'tutors' and having done tutoring including a few athletes, I wonder how much the tutor does the work and the 'student' writes it down. I wouldn't and a few got someone else.

These young black men who get to go to college to play sports are used by the colleges, but quite willingly. I find it hard to feel sorry for them. Instead, I'd put a strict rule in place. No matter if they are the best in their sport, if they cannot keep a proper gpa then they don't play. Period. And I don't mean with extensive tutoring. A white kid who plays in marching band can't march if his gpa doesn't hold. Why should an athlete get a pass? Apply the same rules to both.

If they can't take a regular course, give them remedial classes. ALL undergrad schools have them, even some stuff you should know in elementary school. They have to put in the time and effort to make these classed effective or bye bye schlorship. They have a requirement of getting their usable, testable level of knowledge up to snuff soon enough or they are off the team until they do. Apply FAIR standards that apply to everyone else.

If young black men who want to get somewhere want to enough, they'll practice the hoops, but the math and the english and the science and reading too. I'd give them a year or two semi-pass to get up to college level, but no more.

College is supposed to be about learning and gaining skills which last you a lifetime. Learning proper English, how to write a good letter, sufficent math, how to read well, and the like will do that. Thowing a ball will not. Only some of the hopefuls get to claim the big money. The rest have dreams which just got dashed. If they used college for what it is supposed to be for, then they have more gold than they started with. If they slid by with free passes they wasted everyone's money.

I personally advocate taking the excess funds which sports eats up and using it on better libraries, tutoring, and learning. College should not be the Junior NBA, just the place you might get there IF you are a student FIRST. Let the sports teams have a minor leage and skip the illusions.
You are generalizing black men quite a bit.

Of all the black males I knew it college, not a one had dreams of playing professional sports.

I don't think it's fair to criticize college athletes, the work that college athletes do should be a course unto itself and work very hard.

As someone who used to be in marching band in high school, there are more races in marching bands than whites.

Numerous black men who don't make it into professional sports finish their degrees.

So what's the white kid's excuse when they fail?

There are TONS of underperforming whites in America. Many who can't spell or write a correct sentence.

You are only harping on the blacks who don't succeed. Who is going to play basketball if the blacks don't?

BTW, most blacks who go to college DON'T PLAY SPORTS!

So why do the whites go to college and play baseball? Just to enjoy it?

I am sure that many whites play college baseball with dreams hoping to play in the MLB.

MANY blacks graduate from college every year and MANY whites DON'T graduate from college every year and vise versa.

Unfortunately, since we are no longer in the Industrial Age but are now in the Information Age, having a degree alone will no longer save you.

There are more opportunities than ever to earn a good living without going to college due to the power of the internet.

Oh yeah, and I'm a black man with a Bachelor's Degree who also loves to play hoops and listen to rap music

About sports: As someone who used to be involved in sports, you may not appreciate the hard work and dedication that athletes present but they work harder than many people in college.

Athletes in general have to study a LOT.

They have to study game footage, learn complicated offenses and defenses, learn difficult strategies and tactics. So they ARE using their brains a lot.

The only problem is that there is a slim chance that they will go pro.

You think learning how to play a sport is easy?

Just because you never made it big, don't criticize college athletes just because they dream of making it big.

Take it from someone who knows sports inside and out.

Just because you get a college degree that's no guarantee that you're going to make it either. Job security is at its lowest in a LONG TIME.

I advocate for people to start their own small or home businesses instead.

My advice for a high school senior is not to even go to college. The educational system is a scam and it's almost worthless. Start your own businesses and become an investor.

Many successful entrepreneurs didn't go to college and many of them dropped out of college.

Last edited by Black Jack22; 06-29-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I am completely offended. Way to diminish my successes. I'm not sure if you are trolling or being sarcastic or serious. I hope it's one of the first two.

I never played high school basketball or football. I played soccer when I was young, but it never took precedence over my lessons. My father started teaching me how to READ when I was 2. Starting in 1st grade, I had to read 30 minutes on weekdays, 1 hour on the weekends. That number increased as the years went on. There was no excuse for making anything lower than an A, I just needed to study harder. While other kids were hanging out with friends, I was studying for the PSAT and SAT. Scored well enough on those to be not just a National Achievement Finalist, but a National Merit Finalist. Received a 4-year, $26,000 ACADEMIC scholarship to attend college. There were times that I was not allowed to band practice (BAND, not basketball) because I needed to be studying. At the same time, my parents did not allow me to slack off and not practice for band. I graduated no. 3 in my class of 700 students. I was first chair in band for 3 years straight, making the city, region, and area bands.

And there are so many others doing the exact same things as me. I guess you would like to forget about black males like Dr. Benjamin Carson, the neurosurgeon. Or Garrett Morgan, who invented the signal light. Or George Washington Carver. Or MLK. Or Barack Obama.

Yeah, you are right, all black males care about is basketball and football. All we want in life is NBA contracts and music deals.
I honor your parents for their caring about your tomorrow. Just looking at the way you word your posts it shows. I myself would never say 'all' about anything.

But what about the young black men who don't have parents like yours, who could barely write a paragraph, and who see learning as not in their image?

About ten years ago I heard a local raido show in LA, interviewing the people who ran this walk in computer lab, library, tutoring service for free that was right on the street in the hang out areas of the young black men of that persuasion. It wouldn't cost them a cent. They could get help in any subject. They had few takers, and most were younger than the age they had targeted. Why? because it was 'unmanly'. Real men didn't learn how to use a computer. Real men didn't study. Real men flashed their clothes and style on the street.

Sad thing is for them, they'd made their choice. They couldn't be *forced* to care and learn. They had the chance and didn't want anything to do with it.

Lets face it, the world is run by nerds. The guys and women who step down the sidewalk preoccupied with all the thoughts in their head, and who go far beyond just out of the box, seeing where the box doesn't even exist. Where are the black nerds? No doubt succeeding. But what about those on the edge, smart but not quite a nerd. Heavily subject to street culture. Where is the drive and guidence within the community to keep them off the street and encourage them to become all they can?

A street level learning center should be full of takers. At some point the black community MUST take responsibility for the gangster culture it has grown and counter it or all the chances in the world won't matter for those who drink the coolaide.

In the end it is *always* up to each one of us to decide and make the best decision, and a parents duty to help point them the right way with good values. If every black kid had your dad, a lot more would be taking life in their *own* hands, not buying the easy way out.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
What language? What culture? Were there universities where most of the slaves came from? LOL The tribes there were part of spoke languages that did not have an alphabet... What are you talking about?

What Africans come to America and run circles around Whites? Did you mean the Nigerian scammers? LOL
Which Black African country can be an example of success, stability or safety? Do you even realize that most of Africa is extremely poor and survives due to humanitarian action of the world?

Stop making excuses.
Just adding something. Losing your culture and language does NOT mean you lose in the end unless you let yourself.

The Irish swept up in kidnapping sweeps early on had a very unique culture, and language. The language lives on but we only have bits and pieces of the culture to claim as Irish. The word kidnapping derives from these sweeps since they largely targeted children (easier to control and force to do as told) and a favored way was to take them from their beds when sleeping. They ended up in the colonies or the West Indies. They too lost their language and culture. And continuted to be targets of free or really cheap labor for several more centuries.

Where's the Irish ghetto? Oops, there isn't one.

Today we don't call them by the horrible names used even a century ago. The pictures of Irish were just as diminishing as any of blacks. They filled the unsafe factories and sometimes died there and before the visible tragedy of the shirtwaist fire in New York, it wasn't paid a lot of attention to. Railroad builders used predominantly Irish and Chinese because the mortality rate was so high and they were disposable.

Why are there not Irish ghettos? Since they were white? Up until past a century ago, they were not considered white. Culture was destroyed, hit by famine and kidnapping and other destructive influences. Marginalized by the socieity they lived in. Sound familiar?

Thing is they did NOT let the images and the poverty and the abuse stop them from raising their kids to be what they dreamed of. They were a community, but one which did not accept defeat. Even after centuries of abuse. (read up on the crown's policy toward their homeland)

The nature of the immigrant's new culture makes a monumental difference. If it doesn't go along, and keeps pushing forward, it can erace the dark past. It it buys the excuses its trapped in them.

And yes, immigrants tend to all excell. Today they come by choice, after having to jump through hoops. The ones who are really determined and really motivated make it and this shows in their success. You can't compare today to the industrial age in that and other ways.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
At which university in which country they teach this version of "history"? LOL
It usually isn't. Only recently have several books appeared on the early history that LED to black slavery. It seems to be a tabu subject which needs not to be. Nothing happens instantly, but in stages. The first slaves were white indentured. Some came willingly, some not. In practical terms over half died before it was done so for them it was a lifetime. Blacks were first only indentured servants, same as whites. They were all treated horribly and the first shipments were often children. Tabacco farmers in the Virgina area lost half their workfoce a year. The expected lifespan was a couple of years with the conditions. Children were cheap, controllable and there were plenty in orphanages and workhouses or just running the streets (think Dickens) to have a renewable supply. In 1618 the authorities in Londons swept the streets of troublesome urchans, refusing to give them back to pleading parents, and shipped a load to Virgina. It was said to be an act of 'charity'. In Virginia they were sold to planters and half of them died within the year. Shipments of English and Irish (later Scottish) children continued for decades. After that it continued, but along with the 'free willers' who chose to indenture themselves in hope of a future, they discovered they could empty the prisons too and force shipped adults in large numbers. One of MY ancestors was shipped here as an convict 'servant'.

This is something we hide for some reason. A history book might have a line about indentured servants. We picture the maid, but they worked fieds and frequently died from abuse and overwork along with blacks for several centuries. But in the usual language of the time they were refered to as slaves, and your seven or eleven years could easily double for numerous minor violations. The first blacks were simply indentured, and the survivors freed and allowed full rights.

How many blacks really know how slavery happened? The race card was played slowly. Blacks were more expensive so often were carefully used while indentered whites or convicts were cheap so if it was dangeous they did the job. They frequently escaped together. The first black man to become a slave for life was the result of an escape. He and his white friend had escaped multiple times, getting caught each time. Years were added. After a rebellion of slaves, servants and the poor which came when released and with no land to farm, the race card appeared to split the races since it came very very close to succeeding. The gentry set rules. Blacks were punished harsher. The white man was beaten and whipped and had sufficent time added he'd die the same. The black man needed more, legally, so they just made it a lifetime indenture. Hereditary status came bit by bit. The owner of these two unforutnate runaways, by the way, was a black planter.

Maybe someone should make a movie about these unfortunate children, with some appealing looking kids in the chief roles, some die, some live and have their grandchildren who ran off to Kentucky tell the story. Have some black indentured there to make sure its accurate. Few children made it to adulthood, though, since they were held until 21 and with the odds at best for five years in kinder work, not many did. I really wonder if it would change the way we looked at things if it wasn't hidden away and more people realize it was a *joint* heritage, and quite color blind for at least a centrury.

And yes, 'white privilidge' did start there, but in reality it didn't change much since both were property until that day when freed came, and if they died before, no problem. My somehting great grandfather married, took off to Kentucky and succeeding generations kept going west. The family sat out the Civil war, at least the direct one.

I reccoment this book. White Cargo --the forgotten history of Britan's White Slaves in America by Don Jordan and Michael Walsh.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/081...ls_o02_s00_i00

It isn't a white power book or about race today. Just history. And how it came to be the way it was later.

Last edited by nightbird47; 06-29-2012 at 06:36 PM..

Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,832,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
As far you guys saying how blacks don't want an education.

If the white slave masters wouldn't have taken our language and culture away and not have told us not to read, then more than likely blacks would look at education differently.

How come Africans come over to America and run circles around you whites?

Because they still have their culture and language.

Whites have access to better educational facilities than blacks as there are few resources to help the schools of the inner city kids.
It's called the best and the brightest Black Africans are here and those people fit well in "white" society. Losers like Mugabe don't seem to care about their brain drain.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
You guys need a history lesson.

One of the early posters said that he was descended from poor white immigrants.....he is correct.

When blacks first came to America, there were also white slaves as well who were treated badly. Heard the term indentured servants?

Black and white slaves worked together at first and were treated badly.

Then RACE was created by the ELITE WHITES which created skin color racism. This was used to keep the poor black and white slaves from uniting.

What this did was give special priviliedges to those with white skin and only the blacks ended up being treated sub-human.
You forgot the Irish: We were LOWER than even slave Blacks cause it cost too much to replace a slave but us Irish were a dime a dozen for nasty work. We still had to put up with prejudice till after WW 2.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Apparently your "education" does not provide you with the tools for you to tell the difference from a professional basketball player from a graduate of a business school. You really should stick to trailor home remodeling
IF I said all you did was drink MD 20/20 and not work; you'd be pissed. Both things are barely covered racist comments. Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies