Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you suffer from White Guilt?
Yes 16 5.65%
No 267 94.35%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
It's just crazy how you're calling them black ghettos. Do you even know where the term ghetto came from? We have the whites to thank for that.
The same place where "Ebonics" came from; white people. LOL

Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
That is not what I am saying. It's a question. Some have it, some don't.

Whites have inherited what their ancestors did to Blacks and Indians in this country. So knowing this, would you feel any guilt over it. It's easy to say no. But why not? Whites enjoy "White Privilege" in this country because of our country's history.
No. Many whites were also treated very poorly in the past. Every culture and every group of people on earth has done something "shameful" in their past. European settlers committed many atrocities yet so has every other culture, race, and people on earth. Also "white privilege" is a myth essentially. There are perhaps some places where such a thing exists but it's mostly mythology.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:08 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The same place where "Ebonics" came from; white people. LOL
'Tis true!

Darn pesky folks.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
What other reason would there be?
Why don't you tell me?

I have experienced one instance when I was feel I was harrassed by the cops because of my race. It was also the only time I had a firearm pointed a few inches from my head. I was in a 90% Hispanic city - I am white - and the cops were Hispanic.

I have been harrassed by the cops for no legal reason many more times besides that - and just look at my posts in these forums - I am no friend of the police - let me tell you that.

Why would I know why the menfolk in nj's family were harrassed? I wasn't there. NJ - thinks that it was because of skin color - I have yet to hear a reason why. So why are you asking me for a an alternative reason? Let's base the verdict on objective evidence - not on what some people want to think.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you for answering my question from Harrier. I was getting tired of trying to get to the obvious answer. And I didn't even have to do it.
That is your answer? High crime rate? Are you sure that it wasn't because they were males? Because I have sure been harrassed by the cops for no legal reason a lot - and I think that only once was it likely because of my race(see post #625). The only other logical reasons had to because of my respective gender(male) and age (at that time young). I am still relatively young(35) but I notice that I don't get as much attention from LEO's as I did 5 - 15 years ago.

By the way - if "high crime rate" was the answer - how come you never answered me directly - until someone said it for you?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
That was an indirect post referring to a particular person on the thread. They know who they are.
Yes - and why are you making assumptions about me - assuming that I am whom you are referring to?

Considering the train of this thread - I am the only one whom you could be referring to - so once again - why are you assuming things about me?

I can prove your assumptions to be wrong. In fact - I can blow them so far out of the water that they will land on the moon.

So...tell me.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes - and why are you making assumptions about me - assuming that I am whom you are referring to?

Considering the train of this thread - I am the only one whom you could be referring to - so once again - why are you assuming things about me?

I can prove your assumptions to be wrong. In fact - I can blow them so far out of the water that they will land on the moon.

So...tell me.
No. It wasn't about you. Seriously, it wasn't.

In regards to the other post about being in the 90% hispanic community when the police pulled you over. I don't know if you were walking or driving, but that's why they stopped you...

Stop & frisks aren't just a white & black issue. There is a lot of gray in-between. Such as with your scenario.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Word to your mother.

Vanilla Ice Before He Was Famous - Rapping & Interview - YouTube

Old 07-03-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
It's just crazy how you're calling them black ghettos. Do you even know where the term ghetto came from? We have the whites to thank for that.
Well - I suppose that if you used the term "ghetto" to refer to a racially homogenous area - one could call Hermosa Beach - which is more than 95% white - a "ghetto".

However I think you would find few Angelenos (natives of the Los Angeles area) willing to claim that to be so.

So let's clarify the current day American version of a ghetto - keeping in mind that places that have a large percentage of blacks or Hispanics (such as Ladera Heights, CA and Whittier, CA are not ghettos). American ghettos are generally places of high unemployment, poverty, high percentages of single parents(mothers - i.e - the father is absent), out of wedlock births, recent illegal immigrant population, drug use, gang and other criminal activity, and high percentages of Hispanic or black population.

So - are we clear now on what the actual American ghettos are? They are where people have not fulfilled the American dream - or abided by Judeo-Christian priciples(although many people in those areas are Christians and are the glue that is keeping the community together), and are ominously drifting towards crime as a mechanism for survival - and you want to skirt over the fact that these communities are largely comprised of Hispanics and Blacks?

You are contributing to the the continuing decay of these communities. Don't you want to see them rise up and be successful and productive instead of a byword for poverty, urban decay, and corruption?

Let's concentrate on what the real ghettos are and why they came to be that way - instead of focusing on racial warfare and divisive tactics that distract from the true repair that needs to be done in our inner cities.

Let's not give up - but fight on (which is the motto of my local major university athletic teams(USC).

Last edited by Harrier; 07-03-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
No. It wasn't about you. Seriously, it wasn't.

In regards to the other post about being in the 90% hispanic community when the police pulled you over. I don't know if you were walking or driving, but that's why they stopped you...

Stop & frisks aren't just a white & black issue. There is a lot of gray in-between. Such as with your scenario.
I was riding a bike - but that is considered "operating a motor vehicle" in California - so I suppose that I was driving.

I am sorry that your family members were harrassed. Few things upset me more than police abuse and brutality. I will remember your family members and if you ever need prayer - just drop me a PM.

Harrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies