Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times

Advertisements

Katt Williams

Michael Richards

Imus

Tracy Morgan

Adrian Peterson

now Amare Stoudemire

NBA fines New York Knicks' Amare Stoudemire $50K for slur on Twitter - ESPN New York

Quote:
The NBA fined Amare Stoudemire $50,000 for his use of a gay slur in a Twitter message, the league announced Tuesday.

The New York Knicks forward apologized to a fan on Sunday for using a gay slur in response to a crude tweet in which the fan admonished the All-Star to "make up for this past season."

The fan tweeted his comment on Saturday and received a direct message containing an expletive and the slur from the account Twitter verifies as Stoudemire's. The fan posted a screen shot of the direct message. Direct messages can only be seen by the sender and the recipient.

Stoudemire apologized early Sunday, using another direct message that the fan posted as a screen shot, saying "I apologize for what I said earlier. I just got off the plane and had time to think about it. Sorry bro!! No Excuses. Won't happen again."
Below is the screen shot of Amares tweet.....NSFW and don't click if you're sensitive to vulgarity. (Obviously).

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/files/...re-480x410.png

Why fine him? Let him say whatever he wants to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 02:02 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Katt Williams

Michael Richards

Imus

Tracy Morgan

Adrian Peterson

now Amare Stoudemire

NBA fines New York Knicks' Amare Stoudemire $50K for slur on Twitter - ESPN New York

Below is the screen shot of Amares tweet.....NSFW and don't click if you're sensitive to vulgarity. (Obviously).

So now we control the NBA too? Should we add that to the schools and the media and the courts and all those other things I may have forgotten that the right claims we control?

Old 06-26-2012, 02:03 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Katt Williams

Michael Richards

Imus

Tracy Morgan

Adrian Peterson

now Amare Stoudemire

I agree, freedom of speech is fast becoming extinct

It includes offensive speech..... obviously, because most rap music and reality tv is more offensive to more people than a gay slur and it is not banned

Old 06-26-2012, 02:04 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Well put it this way,what of someone called him the n word?
I am glad he did apologize though,so why is this important?

Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well put it this way,what of someone called him the n word?
I am glad he did apologize though,so why is this important?
Why is the Presidential election important? If you want to get serious about it.....

EDIT: I think people should be allowed to call him the N word without being fined as well.....I don't hold any double standard when it comes to free speech.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Guy was a ass in the first place. Then he takes a screen shot and runs off crying about how somebody tweeted him a mean message?? What a ***. lol

Old 06-26-2012, 02:59 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,041,190 times
The NBA is filled with nothing but criminals, losers, overpaid cry babies. As long Americans are dumbed down by sports and celebrity status their country will continue to burn. My dental hygienist didn't have any idea what is going with Turkey and Syria.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:03 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
The NBA is filled with nothing but criminals, losers, overpaid cry babies. As long Americans are dumbed down by sports and celebrity status their country will continue to burn. My dental hygienist didn't have any idea what is going with Turkey and Syria.
Sans the dental reference, I couldn't agree with you more.

Honestly, I don't allow sports on my TV. I have nothing but contempt for almost everything to do with American sports heros. Can anybody say OJ and Vick? That's just a start.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Sans the dental reference, I couldn't agree with you more.

Honestly, I don't allow sports on my TV. I have nothing but contempt for almost everything to do with American sports heros. Can anybody say OJ and Vick? That's just a start.
You don't have any white sports heroes? Oh come on now.

Personally, I tend to believe sports heroes have even less redeeming qualities than politicians. There are exceptions in both, but they are precious few in number.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:13 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
He should have just denied it. It was a screenshot of a private message that could have easily been photoshopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies