Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I would point out several things in response:
We aren't "one nation under god" ... we are a nation that separates religion from public policy ... freedom of religion also means freedom from religion and from religious persecution. And who told you the separation was to protect churches and not the state? It is to protect both.

We are a nation that has always had believers in a God, a higher power, or some personage that was protecting this nation from others. This nation will always be a great nation as long as people here will continue to believe. That is what sets us apart from other nations. We have the freedom to believe as we want without retribution from the government. Others can rewrite history all they want but what these Founding Fathers of this great nation wanted was the ability to choose for themselves how they would believe and not to have a monarchy make them believe in a single ideological theology. Yes you have the freedom to believe or not to believe. Thank God for that and thank the Founding Fathers for making that possible. Any other way and we would have the Goverment telling us how to believe.

"Legal Tender" ... as you know, we don't all "trust god" ... and people who don't trust in god are just as American as those who choose to ... as per your previous observations.
Doesn't matter that you or anyone else do not trust God. The fact is that this nation started in that route and many over the years have tried to destroy the rights of the many for the beliefs of the few. The day that this nation has a people that stops believing in God is the day that we become just like everyone else. It is the day that we lose our protection from a higher power.

As Gentoo pointed out: lots of non-believers help those in need ... and if the believers help so much and so much better, why do we still need Food Stamps and other welfare programs? Ans: because charity isn't covering the problem.
You have a large percentage of the population that has taken on welfare as a lifestyle. They believe that they have a right to live as they do. They want free rent, free food, free healthcare, free help raising their kids, free assitance when they have kids. I see women every day that are having babies and the fathers are no where to be seen. Many of these women come from homes where there mom is also on welfare and may have joined the system because their moms were on welfare. This is a system that helps no one and continues to take from those that support themselves.I also see lots of people that are on disablility and could work but choose not to. They are also people that take and give nothing back to society. People used to go to their families for help. They would never go to the Government or expect a handout. If the family was not an option they would do what it takes to make sure that they had money.

The problem is not that Charity does not work. The problem is that people seem to think that it is a lifestyle you can choose and that the government will take care of everyone. The system is overburdened by those that choose to live within its reach. For those that are truly destitute and need a hand up, Churches and people that are willing to give can help. In my area we have programs that help people get back on their feet. They are required to work for the organization either in a thrift store or some other place to help give back. These are the kind of programs that help the poor and get them pointed on there way to a better life.

only 3.5 million available jobs to fill ... leaving 9.2 million "resilient" folks without opportunity and depending on government handouts and programs ... without which programs most of those 9.2 million citizens would be on the streets starving. This is what government is for: to serve and protect its citizens in time of need.
I have friends that can not find work that have started businesses and are doing fine with those business opperations. One guy had been out of work for 2 years. I asked him what he was doing to survive. He told me that he started washing cars, painting homes, and then he saved some money up and now buys peppers in Los Angeles and sells them to resteraunts in Ventura County. At no time has he relied on the government to help him. I know another guy that couldn't find work and started digging for cans and bottles. Within a year he built a small recycling business that now includes a pickup truck. I know him because he comes to the hospital to hall away metel that we throw away. I can tell you story after story of people that are not waiting for someone else to help them out.

Note also that it is not possible in our system of consumer capitalism to have everyone rise to middle class and above. There are lots of menial and lower working class labor jobs to be done. Conservatives in particular do not appear inclined to pay middle class and higher wages for menial labor. And the system can't support those high wages even so.
First off why would anyone pay more for a job then it is worth? Second why would anyone stay in a job that did not pay them the money that they need to support themselves? OK OK, lets say that someone did not prepare themselves and get an education or a trade of some kind. Lets say that they can only work in low paying jobs. Why not work more than one job? People do that all the time. At one point in my life I was working 90 hours a week in three jobs. I did it, why can't others? Lots of places with low paying jobs are hiring and lots of people that were used to making more won't fill those jobs.

Now then, what have conservatives ever done for this nation was the question
Besides create the businesses that make the money that supports all those liberal policies you seem to love so much. How do you plan on paying for a nation of people that have their hand out? Where is the economic machine that provides the money to pay for those hand outs? Have the liberals provided a plan to produce money or just tax the producers out of there money? The Conservative ideal is to allow business to produce money to support limited government intervention because we know that the American people can make it in life. I would love to see a liberal plan that does not include spending money. I have yet to see a problem go away when Government tosses money at it. For the past 3+ years money has been flowing and the problems are still there.
Opportunities are everywhere and people can't see them because they are looking for a hand out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:40 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
^^^ The above post is so riddled with BS, I don't know where to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It's also a nation for those who don't believe as well. Don't get me wrong, I have a faith but you don't see me going around bashing those who don't have one. Hypocrite is the word for those types.There are plenty of people not of a faith who help the poor as well. Surely you can't be serious?Nonsense, you only believe this if you can put your blinders on and only be surrounded by people in your same economic class.Poverty, like wealth is passed down. I don't doubt that conservatives "want". It's their complete inability to care for people once out of the womb that's the issue.Of course now that I think about it I should have stopped at Nuff said.
Props to Gentoo for handling this one while I was internet-challenged up in the high desert.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:57 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Props to Gentoo for handling this one while I was internet-challenged up in the high desert.
Anytime. Between here and the Seattle forum I have found lots of opportunities lately.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Party affiliation should be outlawed. Contributions outlawed.
^this

Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Party affiliation should be outlawed. Contributions outlawed.
agreed 100%

We are not going anywhere forward as citizens until we get campaign finance reform... Our political system has been hijacked many decades. The rot of greed and deception is catching up with us fast..

Old 06-28-2012, 11:10 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
agreed 100%

We are not going anywhere forward as citizens until we get campaign finance reform... Our political system has been hijacked many decades. The rot of greed and deception is catching up with us fast..
I'm afraid it's actually going in the opposite direction of what it should... Citizens united anyone...

Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I'm afraid it's actually going in the opposite direction of what it should... Citizens united anyone...
Nations end, nations have revolutions, nations fall apart. The US is not immune, the US does not exist outside of history.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:32 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I guess we can toss out the One nation under God.
Naw, not as long as there are States like these. The U.S. version of Saudi Arabia. Heil God!

Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 PM

457 posts, read 1,182,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
One might notice, my question, asked frequently, never gets answered. The reason is simple, as I am wont to state, Conservatives have only been rocks on the road of progress.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain

Old 06-28-2012, 12:54 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
― Mark Twain
But where's the answer to his question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies