Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 02:51 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Seriously do the math, you might pay less to just pay out of pocket.

If you're paying more for insurance than out of pocket, drop it and pay the penalty. There's no longer any risk under Obamacare. You can get insurance again in case something happens because he removed the pre-existing clause with Obamacare. Law of unintended consequences, it's going to be Obama's bane.
If everyone does that , then the 17 million more that are covered , the government will have to get that money out of the people some how... they will make it so the states will have to pay and it will come though property taxes, taxes on gas, or road tax mileage on cars or tax on sugar drinks or junk food. We know what Obama will go after. Obama will make his own law without the congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 02:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,438,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Those groceries cost the same whether one makes 6 figures or 9000 a year.

Life itself is regressive, so taxes should not be as well.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:52 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,135,256 times
Default Congrats Libs. Precedent Now Sent for an even BIGGER, More Powerful Government

I know some of you already know this, because that is what you want, but for those that dont, you need to realize that what happened to day is bigger than the mess and tax Obamacare will create. A precedent has now been set, to give the the government even more power and overseeing over all our lives.

The Constitution was set a fire today. The Constitution was put in place to limit the power of the government over the people. The passing and legalization of this bill goes completely against the Constitution, the founders, and we the people.

They can now basically force us to buy nearly anything, with a simple threat of a penalty should we say no. How is that America? How the hell did we get to a point where now the government will control our behavior? How can anyone, who believes in our Constitution, truly applaud and cheer at what happened today, knowing we have less control/power over our own lives?

Also, with Obamacare, in order to control costs, they will do more of what Bloomberg just did. They will start banning this and that and this and that. They will start to tax even more things. They will control what procedures you can get, and when. You health, is now not private. Its now the governments business. And that's just the beginning. You control health, you can start to control nearly any aspect of a persons life. That is what why America lost today and why founders would be so disgusted with where we are at

Old 06-28-2012, 02:53 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Now that the health care law has been settled how will businesses respond to this? Wasn't much of the economic uncertainty related to the uncertainty about the status of the health care law? Well this issue has just been cleared up for business owners by the Supreme Court. Or has it?
No, it hasn't been cleared up, and things are more uncertain than ever.

The issue always came down to this:

Exactly how much will one employee cost under Obamacare on January 1, 2014?

That question has never been answered, it is still unable to be answered, and even on January 1, 2014, it won't be answered.

My guess is Obama will declare this as a "mandate" and H&HS will start cranking out regulations faster than ever before.

See, the regulations are the issue. Obamacare doesn't spell out any costs. H&HS is free to interpret the incredibly vague act as it sees fit. So if H&HS decides that pets must be insured under Obamacare, because, you know, if someone's pet is ill, they they are depressed and stressed out and that leads to health problems, so for preventative health measures, we must insure people's pets to keep them from getting stressed out, depressed and sick.

And you can laugh all you want, but that is how vaguely Obamacare is written.

There were, at last count, some 140 proposed regulations in the pipe line (you can find them all in the Federal Register).

If I had to guess, I'd say Obama told H&HS to lay off of the regulations until after the Supreme Court ruling.

So, no, the level of uncertainty has not changed. Businesses will still need to assess whether it is cheaper to dump health care and pay the fine, or keep it.

Certainly...

Mircea

14,292 posts, read 9,671,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, the Fed is subsidizing up to 96% of premiums to those that qualify.

It's not just pay or tax. You are going to get taxed as well. The penalty is just if you don't get insurance.
There are additional taxes because the government is subsidizing premiums.
Subsidizing 96%??? So this will require massive, additional federal spending, which means tax increases on the middle and higher income earners???

11,011 posts, read 11,016,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If I'm understanding it correctly, a guy who earns $35,000 a year, and can't afford $5,000 a year or more, for Obama's Cadillac health insurance mandate, will not only go w/o health insurance, but Obama will punish him with a $2,200 tax penalty.
You can go to the calculator here that will help determine that.

What does the Supreme Court's health-care ruling mean for me? - The Washington Post

In your scenario, he would have to pay for a plan that costs $3,325 or pay a $695 penalty.

ETA: Makes more sense for him to pay the penalty and pay out of pocket for visits to the doctor. However, that will do nothing to solve that 'everyone will have insurance problem'.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 PM

167 posts, read 310,620 times
Who cares if its a tax or mandate on people who are irresponsible and won't buy their own insurance. They would rather use the ER to get medical care and it cost me increases in insurance premiums that are getting more and more difficult to pay. It makes employers have to pass on the increase in premiums to their employees. Tax them enough so they get insurance and I don't have to pay for their emergency room care and so they eventually get insurance and live a healthy responsible life.

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
If I'm understanding it correctly, a guy who earns $35,000 a year, and can't afford $5,000 a year or more, for Obama's Cadillac health insurance mandate, will not only go w/o health insurance, but Obama will punish him with a $2,200 tax penalty.
It will as the years go by , the penalty , fine will go higher. it starts 2014 and will progress higher as the years go on to cover the costs of the free loaders.

16,545 posts, read 13,445,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If it's a tax, does this mean that tax legislation may now originate in the Senate?
Very good question and PGH had also brought that up.

865 posts, read 622,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
"Conservative" dude, that got your panties twisted in a knot as I fully expected it to? Isn't Medicare/Medicaid government spending, rather, overspending, after all? What they heck were you babbling about as government spending on health care after all... but don't worry, I already know your capacity.
Nope, my panties are fine.

What I was questioning was your assertion the you were "subsidizing" medicare & medicare recipients and on the other hand being a proponent of "free" healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies