Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,702,395 times

Advertisements

I don't have enough factual information and math available to make an honest judgement of this being a good or bad thing.
As it is now my employer(might as well be me) is paying 1/3rd of my income~$1200 a month, for my health insurance plan and it's an OK plan at best. We recently had a baby and with a no-complications c-section child birth it was $31,000+! Of that I am on the hook for $7000-$8000.....meanwhile, the welfare recipeints in the next room are having kid #6 on the taxpayers...grrrrrr.
Our health costs are out of control, and what the real story is ...WHY?....who knows. The cost of liability insurance? The cost of all the no-pays? Or just the greed of hospitals and insurance companies?
So my question, and what should be the question of all of us...
Is the mandate "fee" multiplied by the number of those currently un-insured, going to leave us better off? or be yet another deficit which myself and the shrinking # of midlde class families will have to bend over further to pay yet more taxes for?

The money issues put aside, it's going to create a large demand for medical employees and services and unless they expand drastically it's going reduce quality of service.

So you can see which way I'm leaning....that all familiar road of paying more and getting less....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,383,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The amended bill subsidizes up to 400% above poverty line.
$88K/year for a family of 4 would pay 10% of the premium with the Fed picking up 90%.
This would be through refundable tax credits for some.

But, if you cannot afford it today, tax credits are not going to help you because they will want their premiums paid right then and there, not the next April.

Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So when the family plan is $20k a year, our poor family will only need to come up with $2,000. Who pays the difference?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:05 PM

23,524 posts, read 23,854,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
There may be a few people who figure out a way to scam the system (there will always be such people) but it will hardly spell the end of days for private healthcare companies.
Two things.

First, it's not a scam. Those who choose to not purchase insurance are simply subject to an additional tax - or haven't you heard the news? Someone making $100,000 per year will be subject to a $1,000 tax penalty for not being insured in 2014. $1,000 is probably less than one month's premium if that person were to purchase a policy. Remember - you can no longer get catastrophic-only coverage. Thanks to Obamacare, every policy sold MUST include preventative care and office visits, so everyone's buying the Cadillac policy now.

Second, you're wrong, and I'll bet you $1,000 right now that you are. People are going to do what makes the most financial sense to them, and that's going to be to not perpetually carry coverage that they barely use. Thanks to Obamacare, they can't be turned down for any reason, so they'll save that money and just buy the policy when they need to. If you truly believe otherwise, DM me about it and we'll set up that bet. We'll give it through the end of 2015 (two years of the mandate) and see what the numbers show. I don't expect you to take the bet, btw, because I think you know that you're wrong.

The people that crafted this law knew that taxpayers would do exactly what's been described. This will lead to the failure of the health insurance industry, and when it does, the liberal lawmakers will claim that the industry doesn't know how to manage itself and they (the government) must take over the industry. They'll claim to be surprised, and they'll claim that they're doing it for our own good, but people that actually have more than a few brain cells to work with have seen this law all along for what it really is - a pathway to single payer.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:06 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,121,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Land Market View Post
Are you this angry when you pay your car insurance?
You cant compare the two. I chose to buy a car and drive it. Its a choice. I can stop driving at any time. Paying that tax doesnt give insurance company unyielding power over my life.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,652,534 times
Will I soon have to ask the government if I can go pee?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,745,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Considering that "conservatives" never noticed issue with health care costs until "ObamaCare"...
Oh it has been noticed. We've needed tort reform for decades, and still don't have it. So don't go spinning this as some great "thing" the DEMs have done. It's an additional tax and nothing more.

Tax and spend taken to an entirely new level. Yay for the DNC!!!

We should be taking bets on the date the US will go bankrupt.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,731,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
But having costs increased is better? Really?? Because that's what Obama did with Obamacare.
If it were, we wouldn't be talking about health care reform. Somehow, few seem to care about reform, and those few actually moved forward with it. Unlike the rest of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
But you do get to pay a new tax. Go Obama.
It is always good if we pay for what we spend on.

5,036 posts, read 5,121,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
And they don't even know that the government is going to force them to buy broccoli yet.
You can mock all you want. But what they did, just gives the government the power to do that. You say they wont? I never thought id see a certain size soda banned. It can happen. And its more likely that to happen should liberals keep power.

What happened today changes everything. The actually could say everyone has to buy ____ or you pay a penalty (tax).

13,887 posts, read 13,618,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The democrats don't care, they want more government intrusion. The bigger, the better. The greater the ability to control, the better. Regulation and taxation nation here we come!
It's sad when people need the government to tell them what to do and how to do it, but it's the liberal way.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:09 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,383,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Land Market View Post
Are you this angry when you pay your car insurance?
Nobody asked me how much I made when I got my car insurance. If you know of an insurance company that charges rich people more so that poor people can afford their car insurance let me know. If you know of an insurance company that charges less for an Audi than a user Ford truck, let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies