Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 05:15 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Anybody got any good loopholes yet for avoiding the tax?
Don't earn anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
I still dont see how this jives with the Constitution. The Constitution's purpose in part was to limit the power of the federal government. This greatly goes against that.

Maybe Savage is right. Maybe Robert's epilepsy meds are affecting his decision making.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:18 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
In George Orwell's previously-fictional book "1984", he described a totalitarian government that got its way by oppressing, lying to, and sometimes torturing its subjects. In one example, Orwell described a government official saying to his subject something like, "That chair is white". The subject replies, "But the chair is black. Why do you say it's white?" The official says, "I don't remember that. It's black."

Orwell cites this as a perfect example of what he called "doublethink": The ability to completely reverse what you said just a moment ago, with no regret or thought of any contradiction at all.

We got another example of this "doublethink" this morning, in the Opinion of the Court written by Chief Justice John Souter Roberts and agreed to by the other four liberal justices.

Two of the questions they had to decide were:

1.) Can the Court make any decision at all on the Mandate, since it has not actually gone into effect yet and no one has had to pay its Penalty?

2.) Is it constitutional for the Govt to penalize people for NOT buying health insurance?

Reading through the Opinion of the Court, I found that Roberts had solved the first problem by saying that, if the required payment were a "Tax", the Court would not be able to render any judgement on it since the "Tax" had not yet been paid by anyone yet. But, Roberts said, if the payment were a "Penalty", the Court *could* render a judgement even though it had not yet been paid, due to past court cases where this was done. Therefore, Roberts would consider it a "Penalty", and the Court could now make judgements on the entire case.

Then Roberts went on to examine the second question. He stated straight out that, if the payments were a "Penalty", then there was no way they could be constitutional: Neither the Commerce Clause, the Welfare Clause, nor the Necessary and Proper Clause could be stretched to justify them. Indeed, since the payments were described in the Obamacare bill only as a "Penalty", and never a "tax", this would be the case... if it really was a "Penalty".

Roberts then announced that, since this "Penalty" (as it was described by the bill itself) had a few characteristics of a tax (collected by the IRS, as both taxes and penalties often are, and was scaled to a person's income, as both taxes and penalties often are), he would now consider it a tax. And therefore it was constitutional under Congress's power to lay and collect taxes.

And that's how the stunning conclusion came about. Never mind that he had just finished saying that the only way he could even look at the case, was if it was a Penalty.

Roberts said it was a "Penalty", only long enough to get it into the Court. At that point, Roberts then announced in effect, "I don't remember that. It's a 'Tax'." And wrote the rest of his Opinion.

And of course, the rest of the liberals on the Court happily agreed. And we wound up with a 5-4 decision upholding Obamacare.

--------------------------------

I've often seen liberal judges "legislating from the bench"... that is, writing out new laws themselves instead of judging the laws that were brought before them. Judges who do this, usually write their new "law", only one way: The way they wished it read, instead of the way the original law actually read.

This is the first time I've ever seen a judge write it both ways at the same time.

I guess you learn something new every day.

(still shaking my head in wonderment)

What a deadly accurate post!
The Court has now surely lost any reputation they would aspire to.
A grim reminder that our Nation is lost in all three branches.

Our Founders are in shame today.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Default "I did what I felt was right for the American people"

The above quote was from Obama, regarding the new health care law. This is wrong Wrong WRONG WRONG WRONG!

This is SUPPOSED to be "Government of the People, for the people, BY the PEOPLE"!

The above quote represents "Government of the people, by the aristocracy, because we know better than you peons."

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time to revolt.

5,036 posts, read 5,137,483 times
Everything Obama argued for this was a damn lie.

Many of us will no long be able to keep our current plans

Many will lose the choice of our doctor

We are going to be taxed

I actually like the plan im in now. But now, my company has the option to pay a penalty instead, so I could lose my plan.

If this crap is so damn great, how come the politicians that voted for it dont have to be a part of it?! Have you liberals stopped to think about that one?

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
I still dont see how this jives with the Constitution. The Constitution's purpose in part was to limit the power of the federal government. This greatly goes against that.

Maybe Savage is right. Maybe Robert's epilepsy meds are affecting his decision making.
Obama said the constitution is flawed, that it spent all of its time limiting the power of federal government. Guess the SC agreed with him. Hail to the king peasant!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The above quote was from Obama, regarding the new health care law. This is wrong Wrong WRONG WRONG WRONG!

This is SUPPOSED to be "Government of the People, for the people, BY the PEOPLE"!

The above quote represents "Government of the people, by the aristocracy, because we know better than you peons."

+100

He seems to think he's our daddy.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:

Supreme court ruled that corporations are people, he's doing what's best for insurance companies, which are people, so technically he's correct.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If they want this madness or not. This election is now framed on the healthcare decision. Time to run these lying communists out of DC once and for all and take back the government and repeal this insanity. This is basically what Roberts said in his decision.
I agree with that 100%. It's in the hands of the American people now that the SCOTUS up backed the
dictator in chief. All thier decision showed me was that they are intimated by all the threats coming
from our new King. Buy an election, buy a judge.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:

You mean we desperately need wake up to the need to stick with health care through bankruptcy for poor people and other people who refuse to buy health insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies