Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually, I predict that in decades to come Obama will he hailed as the President who achieved health care reform where 11 presidents before him failed. So when conservatives ask, "what has Obama accomplished," we can proudly point to health care reform as a monumental achievement.

Ahh, the right-wing doesn't waste a second with the scare tactics.

Fortunately, they are misinformation.
Oh I'm sorry. No one told me that links to IRS.gov is now considered "misinformation".....
But your link to a NY Times article should be taken as fact instead ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 06:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Was the law written as a Mandate or a tax?

If mandate, how can the Supreme Court re-write the damn law to make it a tax? They ruled a Mandate of such nature is not Constitutional but a tax is.

If a tax, then clearly Obama and Pelosi and the rest of them lied.

Either way, it just goes to show you that this Obamacare was crooked from start to finish. Look what they did to get the damn thing passed in the first place. Look how We the people were against it. Look what it took to get it signed off by the Supreme Court. This is not how our country is supposed to work.
The Supreme Court has ruled that Congress can now tax you for something you didn't buy.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh I'm sorry. No one told me that links to IRS.gov is now considered "misinformation".....
But your link to a NY Times article should be taken as fact instead ?
It may help you if you actually read the IRS link.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:08 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
The Supreme Court has ruled that Congress can now tax you for something you didn't buy.
Okay, I get that people find that distasteful.

However, from the looks of it, the premiums we would be charged and the tax adds up to about the same.

It's way more affordable to us than it is now. At the moment we pay out of pocket. The hospital bill I just negotiated is still way cheaper than insurance would cost currently. It's a sizable chunk though.

I will be relieved and happy to finally be able to get insurance that won't take away most of our paycheck. That's money that can go back into the economy, not into some insurance company's pocket.

I've gone the catastrophic route and had to pay a hospital bill that was $5 less than the deductible, meaning I wasted all that money paying the premium in the first place, as the insurance covered none of it. It's just legalized gambling.

I think a lot of people who are uninsured now want to be insured. If you can get insurance coverage that's less or around the same as your penalty, then why wouldn't you?

It's a no brainer to me. And considering if the least expensive plan is more than 8% of your income then you are exempt from penalties, it's an absolute Godsend for us.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's called, "charity". Look in to it. That thing where no one is FORCED to do it but do so because they WANT to do it. There's a TON of charity out there for people in the scenario you gave above.
I knew it was too good to be true when you sided with the "liberals". The above is nuts. "Charities" don't pay for that kind of stuff, and never have! Look into it.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's called, "charity". Look in to it. That thing where no one is FORCED to do it but do so because they WANT to do it. There's a TON of charity out there for people in the scenario you gave above.
Defensible position, but what are you saying is you are fine people getting seriously ill or dying because their jobs don't provide health care. Reposting this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The real issue:

Health Care As a Privilege: What the GOP Won

If you don’t work as hard as Mitt Romney has, or were born less smart, or to worse parents, or enjoyed worse schools, or invested your skills in an industry that collapsed, or suffered any other misfortune, then you will be punished for this. Your television may be low-definition, or you might not be able to heat or cool your home as comfortably as you would like; you may clothe your children in discarded garments from the Salvation Army...No is disputing this; what is being disputed is whether the punishments to the losers in the market system should include, in addition to these other things, a denial of access to non-emergency medical treatment.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
You mean like roads, schools, Battleships, Airports ..... and a few other odds and ends?

Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 AM

24 posts, read 14,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Question for you. What happens when you don't pay federal taxes?
WARNING: After you watch this film, you will be extremely pissed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRSR View Post
Technically, you don't have to pay the Federal Income Tax.

AMERICA

Old 06-29-2012, 07:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I knew it was too good to be true when you sided with the "liberals". The above is nuts. "Charities" don't pay for that kind of stuff, and never have! Look into it.
Sure they do. Ever see those donate your change thingy for the ill kid (cancer, etc) in stores?

Old 06-29-2012, 07:33 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Don't worry my right leaning friends, after taking the time to think about this decision, Robert's DID do the right thing! He severely limited the use of the Commerce Clause, gave the state's some rights back and put the entire mandate into Congress' hands. If you take a step back and really think about it, it was a right hook out of nowhere to Progressive ideology and it was so masterful, Robert's got the more Liberal judges to go along and nail their own coffin shut. BRILLIANT!!!! Even all the Progressive talking heads don't even realize what they are cheering about. LMAO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies