Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 10:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I didn't say it was a "good bill". I am talking about the invalid "tax" increase argument. It is however, a step in the right direction. The government is not running healthcare!!!!! Which is actually a shame considering how much cheaper and more efficient European systems are.
Why compare to Europe. We have medicaid and medicare. I wouldn't exactly say they are "efficient".
Cheap has to be subsidized or completely paid for by other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 10:04 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You still have the illegals so you didn't get rid of your problem of uninsured people getting treatment.

How would you suggest that the Affordable Healthcare Act deal with illegals?

Old 06-30-2012, 10:10 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was a "good bill". I am talking about the invalid "tax" increase argument. It is however, a step in the right direction. The government is not running healthcare!!!!! Which is actually a shame considering how much cheaper and more efficient European systems are.

Whilst the government wasn't involved in the current system - it is completely flawed costing at least twice as much as European systems, leaving millions and millions without coverage and bankrupting those who get really sick. All this whilst making corporate millionaires and billionaires who rake in off the 60% of spending in the industry that doesn't go on healthcare.

Is this really a debate about moving forward or backward or actually just another politically charged back and forth?
They may not be running it, for now, but they are now getting pretty involved in it. How exactly is that supposed to give everyone a good feeling? And I think their goal is to actually run healthcare in the long run. This is a step towards that.

And when its all said and done, I dont want government involved in any other aspect of my life. They ruin everything they touch. Our education system is awful, the postal service is a mess.

This bill changes everything. And despite their claims, some will not be able to keep their current plan, will not be able to keep the same doctors, and lines/wait times will indeed get longer.

And just what are they going to do to cut costs? I shutter to think the regulations, taxes, etc they will put in place to try and keep costs down.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:12 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why compare to Europe. We have medicaid and medicare. I wouldn't exactly say they are "efficient".
Cheap has to be subsidized or completely paid for by other people.

Why bring up Europe? Let's see: you brought up your fear of 'government'.. Well they seem to either run or regulate far better systems in Europe. Many are cheaper per capita (therefore not more expensive for everyone) and spend less as a percentage of GDP. And guess what, they have better cancer survival rates, longer life expectancy and access to care for everyone - my oh my how would should fear that!!!

Let's stay on point though as this bill is not a system like those.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
The affordable healthcare act does not address illegals. Illegals will not have access under the Act. They WILL have access to ER care up to medical stabilization under the 1986 Reagan Bill that mandated all hospitals recieving federal funds must treat any and all patients regardless of ability to pay or citizenship status.
The key here is "Medical stabilization". Not continued care. If an illegal had a heart attack and came to an ER, they would be treated for the heart attack until stabilized and then discharged with no followup care. No Dr. Appts. no medicine, no maintenence program. either under the Reagan mandate or under any provision of the AHA.
Right wingers like to use the monstrous demon of "illegal aliens" to scare uninformed people. they inject it in every political arguement. You could have a thread on the price of Alaskan Cod and somehow illegal aliens would end up being part of the arguement.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I don't. You cannot force people who are not supposed to be here to pay for something they are not supposed to be entitled to but get anyway at taxpayer expense.

You didn't solve your hospital ER financial problem with Obamacare. You still have to pay for that. That is what I was pointing out.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:22 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,136,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The affordable healthcare act does not address illegals. Illegals will not have access under the Act. They WILL have access to ER care up to medical stabilization under the 1986 Reagan Bill that mandated all hospitals recieving federal funds must treat any and all patients regardless of ability to pay or citizenship status.
The key here is "Medical stabilization". Not continued care. If an illegal had a heart attack and came to an ER, they would be treated for the heart attack until stabilized and then discharged with no followup care. No Dr. Appts. no medicine, no maintenence program. either under the Reagan mandate or under any provision of the AHA.
Right wingers like to use the monstrous demon of "illegal aliens" to scare uninformed people. they inject it in every political arguement. You could have a thread on the price of Alaskan Cod and somehow illegal aliens would end up being part of the arguement.
Hate to break it to you, but given how we have millions of illegals and they do cost this country money and in other ways, so yeah, its going to come up. And rightfully so.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Why bring up Europe? Let's see: you brought up your fear of 'government'.. Well they seem to either run or regulate far better systems in Europe. Many are cheaper per capita (therefore not more expensive for everyone) and spend less as a percentage of GDP. And guess what, they have better cancer survival rates, longer life expectancy and access to care for everyone - my oh my how would should fear that!!!

Let's stay on point though as this bill is not a system like those.
What do you mean "stay on point" ? YOU are the one that brought up Europe and ours is nothing like it.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Hate to break it to you, but given how we have millions of illegals and they do cost this country money and in other ways, so yeah, its going to come up. And rightfully so.
This is what I find so ironic.

We have people who are not supposed to be in this country getting medical care they are not supposed to be entitled to and we are paying for it and we have some posters here thinking our ER problem is going to go away.

It is NOT people. You will still be supporting this. Nothing has changed.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/more-illega...-82579442.html
Six months after the Review-Journal revealed that 80 illegal immigrants with failing kidneys were running up about $2 million a month in bills for dialysis and other medical treatment at the only publicly supported hospital in Las Vegas, the situation for both patients and taxpayers only continues to worsen.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
For those who want to be completely informed about the history of all the health care inititives the conservative republicans have opposed over the last 100 years, here is a link from a very prestegious medical organization which spells out the entire chain of events leading up to today. After reading this, you will come away with the realization that never, under any circumstances will the hard line of the republican party ever compromise on health care.
In the recent interviews of leading republicans the most telling comment is from Boehner, when asked how the republicans in the house would reform the health care bill and what they would replace it with. His paraphrased answer was, we don't want to reform it, we want to pull it out by it's roots and kill it.
Make no mistake this is the political fight of a generation and actually has been going on for almost 100 years.

A Brief History: Universal Health Care Efforts in the US | Physicians for a National Health Program

As we are all aware, the health care situation in America has gotten much worse since this article was written.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies