Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahC View Post
You might find this useful: CaspianX2 comments on ELI5: What exactly is Obamacare and what did it change?

The first post breaks it down very well, and provides you with citations.
Thank you so much, that was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 AM

865 posts, read 623,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
What part of the constitution did obama say was flawed and when did he say that. Link? or just histrionics?

2001 Obama WBEZ Interview Redistribution Wealth Warren Court - YouTube

Old 07-03-2012, 11:57 AM

865 posts, read 623,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I guess you've never owned a car....or know anyone who does own one....

Here's a secret, if you drive a car you have to have insurance...

...and no, I do NOT have to "prove" I'm a citizen, do you???

Yup, in a world 'run" by liberals common sense prevails

And on Obamacare:
No I don't. Only if I operate a vehicle on public roads am I required to have insurance.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times

Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robeaux View Post
No I don't. Only if I operate a vehicle on public roads am I required to have insurance.
But, you're required to have insurance, a private product you must buy.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:13 PM

Did Obama "evovle" from his original stance on mandates?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Did Obama "evovle" from his original stance on mandates?
He took what he could get. Is it what he wanted? No. It's what he could get that would do most of what he wanted. It's called "compromise" - and it's how things work when you are trying to reach agreement with other people. The GOP could have been involved too, but it appears the Tea Party don't believe in compromise - so they played no part - and now they are unhappy. Go figure.

Ken

Old 07-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
He took what he could get. Is it what he wanted? No. It's what he could get that would do most of what he wanted. It's called "compromise" - and it's how things work when you are trying to reach agreement with other people. The GOP could have been involved too, but it appears the Tea Party don't believe in compromise - so they played no part - and now they are unhappy. Go figure.

Ken
But Obama said it was impractical to force people to buy health insurance and "what are you going to do? Garnish their wages?" He seemed very much against the idea before. Why would he change his mind so much? Why not create public option for those who want to be on it and tax exempt anyone who didn't want it? Why not non-profit insurance co-ops?

Kind of weird to compromise for something you campaigned against.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:34 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But, you're required to have insurance, a private product you must buy.
Some people do not drive and do not own cars.
Are they required to buy auto liability insurance as well?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:37 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
But Obama said it was impractical to force people to buy health insurance and "what are you going to do? Garnish their wages?" He seemed very much against the idea before. Why would he change his mind so much? Why not create public option for those who want to be on it and tax exempt anyone who didn't want it? Why not non-profit insurance co-ops?

Kind of weird to compromise for something you campaigned against.
Because HE didn't write the legislation. Congress wrote it. He doesn't control Congress. He can provide input - but whether or not Congress heeds that input is not up to him. It's not what he wanted but he'll take it because it meets his other criteria (specifically it brings millions more under health coverage and closes a bunch of nasty loophole (such as denial of pre-existing conditions) that he wants to get rid of. It's not that hard to understand - it's how politics ALWAYS works. Presidents rarely get EXACTLY what they want (and that's the way the Founders intended it - that's WHY they created Congress rather than JUST having a President.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies