Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Marco Rubio: "If you don't buy health insurance, you have an IRS problem."
Were are becoming more & more like we are under a dictatorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
We already have to buy auto insurance. No we don't have to drive or own a car but if we do, we are "mandated" "required" to purchase auto insurance.
You can choose not to own a car. Plus car insurance is a state issue, not a federal one.

What should I do? Choose not to live so I can be exempt? Or pretend I am an illegal alien who speaks no English?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:42 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
One bad decision covers both iraq and afghanistan? then what was vietnam? good or bad decision?
That was a poor decision as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The assumption being that doing something about health care accessibility is a bad idea, and not any different than running an international welfare program via the military industrial complex. And, I doubt you'd find a majority of the opponents of ACA questioning affordability of our adventures in Afghanistan and Iraq... they can't get enough of that even today.
We aren't talking about the majority of opponents of ACA. Unlike many people on this forum, I don't make my decisions based purely on what the majority of any one party thinks. Novel concept, I know.

The individual welfare of specific citizens should not be any concern of the government's. A person's welfare is their responsibility.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:43 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Interesting analysis on another site: it's officially a tax. If a state opts out, you don't have access to an exchange. You will have access to private plans, which are free to charge market rates. If you have a pre-existing condition, they can't deny you coverage, but they can charge accordingly. So a young guy with Type 1 diabetes may end up without insurance and still pay the tax if he can't afford the premium. If he doesn't pay the tax the IRS can garnish his wages.

Victory? You guys killed a nation today. I wrote months ago that it was constitutional as a tax and that we should have a single-payer system which taxed everyone something and ensured coverage for all.

In five years there will still be millions uninsured. The issue between access to care and cost of care escapes the liberal mind. Somebody still has to pay.
you can spin it anyway you want. If romney would have proposed this, you republicans would be defending this law all the way to the end of time. You simply dont like obama and anything he proposes. You won monday and you lost today. deal with it.

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think it's a good ruling for the younger workers who can't seem to get jobs that include health benefits.
My own son falls into that category as he's in college and working but the premiums would eat away a good chunk of his salary if he were to take their insurance so he's on mine since he's under 26.

It's also good for early retirees who don't have retirement health benefits or very high cost ones to fill in the gap until they hit 65.

It's going to hit the middle class though with the additional taxes. Someone has to pay for the subsidies and it always seems to fall on the middle class.

I do think they need to raise the cost of the penalty for not getting insurance because, as it stands now, the penalty is cheaper than a years worth of premiums.

I also think there will be some, possibly many, who opt to pay the penalty and then get insurance when they get sick to get coverage. There's nothing stopping that one.

I also think we're going to go into deficits from this and the costs will outpace the taxes collected fairly quickly with no plan B to recover. The only recourse would be for higher taxes.
That's the plan.

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Judge Roberts is a real American Traitor. Shame on you!!!
Predictable. The magnitude of what he accomplished and how he was able to do it is lost on many, and it would take literally pages and pages to explain it. I have tried to do so as well as I could in short paragraphs. The fact is you can't explain it in sound bites, but trust me this is a historical moment. Not for Obama or the GOP, but as to the preservation of the U.S. Supreme Court. History will look favorably on Chief Justice Roberts.

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The best thing that Bush accomplished was appointing Chief Justice Roberts. I am not saying this because I agree with his ruling today. I actually disagree with his ruling, but I agree with what he was trying to accomplish and I applaud his vision.

What Chief Roberts did was to protect the viability of the Supreme Court. He chose to not let the Supreme Court be the arbitrator of political decisions and instead pushed the politics back to congress to decide. Therefore, to remove the taint of politics from the Supreme Court.

Those who disagree with Roberts will see him as a traitor or a turncoat. He is actually neither. He found a legal reason to find it constitutional, whether he believes it to be or not who knows, but the end result is that the decision is inline with Jefferson's view that it is not the Supreme Court who gets to decide these issues.

Roberts chose to protect the Supreme Court as an Institution. I applaud him for that.
Roberts read and understood his job description.

1,672 posts, read 1,771,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Interesting analysis on another site: it's officially a tax. If a state opts out, you don't have access to an exchange. You will have access to private plans, which are free to charge market rates. If you have a pre-existing condition, they can't deny you coverage, but they can charge accordingly. So a young guy with Type 1 diabetes may end up without insurance and still pay the tax if he can't afford the premium. If he doesn't pay the tax the IRS can garnish his wages.

Victory? You guys killed a nation today. I wrote months ago that it was constitutional as a tax and that we should have a single-payer system which taxed everyone something and ensured coverage for all.

In five years there will still be millions uninsured. The issue between access to care and cost of care escapes the liberal mind. Somebody still has to pay.
Truth be told only way to really repeal this now is to move to a more centralized payment system. It will be too hard to overturn. Probably could look at tuning it a little, but getting 60 votes in the Senate will be pretty difficult unless filibuster rules are changed...again.

Chance of that happening is of course 0.01% and dropping:P
Maybe Republicans and Democrats should come together and make a univeral healt care system combined with an illegal immigration law. The left gets what they want and Republicans can inact hardcore laws that shut out non citizens to the new system set up. Throw in some written in security increases for the border and both sides get something big.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
The polls still indicate that it's an unpopular bill overall, so we will see how it plays out in November.
The last polling I've seen on this shows a 52% negative opinion on the legislation. But I believe many of that 52% are negative is because they think the law didn't go far enough. So it's not so easy to interpret what the 52% represents, overall. The Supreme Court upheld a law approved by the Congress, not an Executive Order, and overturning it completely will take Congressional action. So the focus for those who are adamently opposed to this and other legislation ... it's the Congressional races. In particular, U.S. Senate races. Without a majority in Congress together with a sympathetic President (i.e., Romney) the law will be implemented and 4 years later almost impossible to change substantially.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
IRS agents will be taking people to jail for failure to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Marco Rubio: "If you don't buy health insurance, you have an IRS problem."
Yes. Quite true.

Let me ask this to the board. If you're an employer, which would you do? Pay 5x the cost to offer health insurance to your employees or just pay the penalty and let the employee figure out where to get health insurance? The effect I see is that even less people will have health insurance from this and you just got a tax increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies