Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,277,309 times

Advertisements

w00t! This means we get to tax the poorest in our nation! Gobama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:04 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRisingAgain View Post
How does this affect alternative medicine? Will the government's plan cover doctors who include non-conventional treatment? Not talking about witch doctors here, but certified MDs. I see a doc who isn't covered under my employer's plan; I pay a lot for him too. What worries me is that with more government control that such physicians will be run out of business. I don't trust government when they say otherwise either.
That will depend upon HHS and their mandates. HHS now gets to mandate what will and will not be required to be covered by insurers.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:05 AM

46,940 posts, read 25,969,275 times
Quote:
Further down the ladder, employees become more expendable. Not every warehouse worker is "talent".
Not sure I follow how you arrive at that conclusion. An insured employee is more expendable?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
How does this affect alternative medicine? Will the government's plan cover doctors who include non-conventional treatment? Not talking about witch doctors here, but certified MDs. I see a doc who isn't covered under my employer's plan; I pay a lot for him too. What worries me is that with more government control that such physicians will be run out of business. I don't trust government when they say otherwise either.
The FDA is taking care of that one via regulations. They want 100% scientific backed proof before they approve.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:06 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I haven't read all the details of the law as yet, but I have a question. If a taxpayer refuses to pay the tax, won't penalties and interest accrue from year to year. Also, if you're due a refund the next year, and you owe taxes, won't the IRS withhold the unpaid tax from your refund?
Think of the new IRS agents locking people up for failure to pay.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Think of the new IRS agents locking people up for failure to pay.
Yes and this will expand the IRS as well. That's an increased costs also.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:08 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
and what will the result be when small businesses opt out, pay the $2000 fine and save $10,000 t $12,000 per employee on healthcare.
Now who pays?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
My employer already does that I suppose. I live in NH but work in MA. They don't offer health insurance at all.

I guess the bottom line irregardless where anyone stands on Obamacare, the most recent Chamber of Commerce survey indicates 75% of small businesses will not hire due to the costs, and well as the Obama lie which will result is a tax increase for lower income, lower middle class and middle class Americans.
None of this is good for unemployment or the economy.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 AM

276 posts, read 236,193 times
So will non-documented residents be covered under this?

628 posts, read 1,315,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ahhh, but the penalty is on the individual, not the employer, correct? So the choice is pay 5x the cost, or pay zero and let the employee suck it up on their tax returns.
If I understand this correctly, then a single person earning $40,000/year just received a 20% increase in their federal taxes if they dont buy insurance.
The approximate real federal tax on $40,000 single filer earnings is 15% which is about $6,000/yr. The "tax" on not buying insurance will be 2 1/2% of income after 2016. This is $1200. $1200 is a 20% increase over the $6000 you would already pay. It doesnt seem you can avoid it either.....if you dont pay the tax...the IRS can come after you or seize any refund you might have received.
Am I missing something here.....please enlighten me if so.
I know the answer is "buy the health insurance" and avoid the tax, BUT anybody know where I can get a policy for $1200 per year???

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
I guess the bottom line irregardless where anyone stands on Obamacare, the most recent Chamber of Commerce survey indicates 75% of small businesses will not hire due to the costs, and well as the Obama lie which will result is a tax increase for lower income, lower middle class and middle class Americans.
None of this is good for unemployment or the economy.
Small business is exempt if they keep their number of employees below the minimum.
Small business can also opt to 1099 their workers so they are all independent contractors.

I've seen discussions on other forums about how small business owners can survive financially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies