Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

With the way Obamacare stands now, my prediction is that this will result in even more uninsured. It benefits employers to not offer health insurance because it's cheaper to pay the penalty. It benefits people to wait until they get sick to not buy health insurance. Since the requirements of what an insurance company must cover has been changed under Obamacare, insurance costs go up. Basically, this thing increased costs, raised taxes, and will result in less covered. Yeah, it's a political death knell for Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:41 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Because I won't be allowed to get the catastrophic plan anymore and I hardly ever go to the doctor. It's cheaper to only get health insurance if I get sick.
If you're so poor as to only be able to afford catastrophic, then you should be glad this health care bill was passed.

Although it did not cut health care costs, increasing coverage is the first step.

Now we need to use the governments buying power in leveraging for lower costs from health care providers.

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
What about doctors who refuse health insurance? Does it change anything with them?

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Finally passed what Roosevelt tried to do right before death and Hilary tried to do in the 90s ,finally ! Now everyone has the chance to be healthy

Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM

7,498 posts, read 5,745,535 times
So interesting site from WP.. If you make 45K a year don't have coverage, under 26 have 3 family members and you don't purchase coverage before 2014 you pay a tax of $1,738.00

What does the Supreme Court's health-care ruling mean for me? - The Washington Post

Interesting site for sure.. See where you fit in..

Old 06-28-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
If you're so poor as to only be able to afford catastrophic, then you should be glad this health care bill was passed.

Although it did not cut health care costs, increasing coverage is the first step.

Now we need to use the governments buying power in leveraging for lower costs from health care providers.
I'm not even remotely poor but it was more beneficial financially to only get catastrophic health insurance. I will never qualify for any subsidies. For me and my bottom line, it will be cheaper for me to pay the penalty and only get insurance if I have something very bad happen to my health.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
So interesting site from WP.. If you make 45K a year don't have coverage, under 26 have 3 family members and you don't purchase coverage before 2014 you pay a tax of $1,738.00

What does the Supreme Court's health-care ruling mean for me? - The Washington Post

Interesting site for sure.. See where you fit in..
Going to be a real eye opener for the late 20's graduate with a temp job and student loans to pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
What about doctors who refuse health insurance? Does it change anything with them?
No.

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
We already have to buy auto insurance. No we don't have to drive or own a car but if we do, we are "mandated" "required" to purchase auto insurance.
If you CHOOSE to have a car. You still get the CHOICE of whether or not you're going to have a car to have to pay for car insurance, and again, each STATE decides on minimum coverage.

I didn't realize we all CHOSE to be alive. That kind of happened to us.

Your example isn't even the same thing. What would make it the same is if we had to pay car insurance whether or not we had a car. But that doesn't happen because we have A CHOICE! This just took away our choices. Whoowhee, yah, we sure "won" today, didn't we? NO!

243 posts, read 279,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The penalty is a tax. However, this didn't take away the gov't's power to mandate what that policy must cover. That stands. So, you either have to buy the health insurance the gov't mandates (i.e. you can't buy a catastrophic plan anymore) or you have to pay the tax. By the way, it's cheaper to pay the tax and only get health insurance if you get sick. You can't be denied under Obamacare.
So, in order to prevent people from doing just that, the Feds are eventually going to have to raise the tax. The scheme won't work otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies