Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 11:58 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,846,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
What a dreamer you are..Wait till 2014.
Not a dreamer but someone who actually understands both a Govt. funded health system and a Insurance controlled health system. I have used and paid for BOTH systems and without a doubt the current American system is far more expensive than a Govt, funded system. Far more efficient (covers every Citizen) than the American System. Does NOT bankrupt anyone, as the Current American health system does AND does NOT encroach on peoples salaries as the current health system here does.....
The ONLY dreamer here is you if you think that the Current American Health System should continue to abuse millions of Americans and penalise workers and employers............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm not from the "right," but I'll answer. This is a tax on the middle class because, believe it or not, there are a lot of middle class that don't carry health insurance. I don't know their reason for that because it's risky behavior, imo. Still, they don't. Guess now they'll be forced to purchase insurance. And I don't think it's really about if they can afford it, it's about being forced to do it by the government.
There are a lot of things the government requires you to pay for. You pay taxes on your internet and phone service, for instance. And if you want a service that you MUST pay a tax for, you need look no further than Ike's interstate highway transportation system.

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
SCOTUS ruling the way they did this morning is the best decision they've made in years. I'm looking forward to 2014 when all the provisions have kicked in and our health care system can start to actually function to some degree. I would have prefered a single-payer solution, but at least this is a decent start.
Do you think the money will be there in 2014 or do you think Congress will "borrow" to spend it when it starts coming in next year ?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
There are a lot of things the government requires you to pay for. You pay taxes on your internet and phone service, for instance. And if you want a service that you MUST pay a tax for, you need look no further than Ike's interstate highway transportation system.
The Interstate system is a private product?

What if I don't want to use "that service"?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Ok,, where is all the money coming from for all this new coverage?

The Supreme Court’s ruling today confirmed what the Constitution and 200 years of precedent have already made clear: The Affordable Care Act is undoubtedly constitutional.

With this ruling comes a victory for the millions of Americans who are already benefiting from the health reform law, whether it’s the sick child who can no longer be denied insurance or the senior who can finally afford her prescription drugs. And very soon, the Affordable Care Act will go even further to protect tens of millions more from ever being denied coverage because of a pre-existing condition.

Here are the top five benefits of the Affordable Care Act that are making, and will continue to make, health care work for every American.

Obamacare protects those with pre-existing conditions
The 2010 health law created the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan, which includes coverage for primary and specialty care, hospital services, and prescription drugs. To date, more than 50,000 Americans have enrolled in this new plan, a nearly 400 percent increase in enrollment since November 2010.

Obamacare casts a wider net for coverage
So far 2.5 million additional young adults, including 1.3 million minorities, have gained access to coverage, or 73 percent of the nation’s young adults. What’s more, the health law has increased funding for community health centers and school-based health centers, helping those in medically underserved areas of the country.

Obamacare enhances coverage for minorities and women
As many as 9 million low-income Latinos will gain health-care coverage under the Affordable Care Act’s expanded Medicaid eligibility. And because women of color account for more than half of all uninsured women, by 2014 with Medicaid’s expanded eligibility, up to 10.3 million women will gain health care coverage.

New provisions in the act also will eliminate “gender rating,” where women are charged higher premiums than men for identical benefits. And the Affordable Care Act vastly improves coverage for gay and transgender Americans, including expanded data collection to better understand health disparities and nondiscrimination preventions.

Obamacare decreases health care costs for all
The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from charging higher premiums, limiting benefits, or denying coverage to those who need it starting in 2014. The Affordable Care Act also closes the Medicare “donut hole” gap by 2020. Seniors and persons with disabilities currently receive a discount on covered brand-name prescription drugs if they’re in said donut hole. (In 2011 alone nearly 4 million seniors saved more than $2.1 billion on prescription drugs—an average of $604 per person.)

The Affordable Care Act also requires insurance plans to cover important preventive services, including critical immunizations, numerous health screenings, and counseling services, with no cost-sharing by women. In 2011 alone more than 85 million people—32.5 million Medicare beneficiaries and 54 million Americans with private insurance—including seniors, women, and persons with disabilities, accessed these critical preventive services for free.

Obamacare creates jobs and helps small businesses
The Affordable Care Act created more than 19,000 new jobs in community health centers across the country. And more than 4 million small businesses were eligible to receive a tax credit to make health coverage more affordable for their employees.

These benefits, and many more upheld by the Supreme Court it its ruling on the Affordable Care Act, are plain for all to see. Obamacare has worked, is working, and will continue to work to improve the lives of millions of Americans. Today’s victory marks an important step in the right direction for the continued improvement of our nation’s health care system.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
I was wrong about the court's decision( even though I was right that the mandate was found unconstitutional). Congrats to the lefties on Obamacare. I wonder how young adults will feel when they turn 27. They will be off their parents coverage. They may prefer to have no coverage for a few years since there is little likelihood of serious health problems until they get into their 40's at least. Or, they may prefer to get much cheaper catastrophic health coverage that will protect against a major health problem only. But they won't be able to do either of these two choices without getting fined by the government. Yay!

Last edited by rikoshaprl; 06-28-2012 at 12:13 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 12:02 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
The precedent has been set....now there are no limits on what the government can tax and our freedoms and liberties are disappearing. Along with our income, now our behavior can be taxed. Americans had better wake up, and wake up soon.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:03 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,333,723 times
Even with healthcare stocks rallying the stock market is tumbling. Yay Obamacare.

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
I was wrong about the court's decision. Congrats to the lefties on Obamacare. I wonder how young adults will feel when they turn 27. They will be off their parents coverage. They may prefer to have no coverage for a few years since there is little likelihood of serious health problems until they get into their 40's at least. Or, they may prefer to get much cheaper catastrophic health coverage that will protect against a major health problem only. But they won't be able to do either of these two choices without getting fined by the government. Yay!
Oh and that fine will be a LOT cheaper than getting health insurance. My calculated fine will be $1,738. Lots cheaper than the $14K plan I was quoted (one that would cover everything like Obamacare has mandated).

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Seems to me like this is another case of "taxation without representation" all over again. If it really is a "tax" then why don't they just take it out of people's pay checks like they already do with all the other taxes? I'd like to know what Constitution the justices were considering I don't think it's the one I studied in school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies