Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Shhh all you commoners...the fake-rape fetish "professional pontificator" speaketh.

I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave | Mother Jones

I thought these folks wanted more manufacturing jobs in this country?
The guy is a sissy and is a reflection of the poor work ethic among young people today who have no concept of the term "work", let alone "hard work".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
I once had a (intermittent) production job, we were expected to always meet "quo-ta" and it was boring and repetitive but I didn't find it strenuous or unpleasant or demeaning, and always completed my quota well ahead of time (and kept on plodding along). (Working at 90% was sufficient to meet quota and seemed easily attainable.)

Sure, this isn't a great job here, but the writer doth protest too much.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I once had a (intermittent) production job, we were expected to always meet "quo-ta" and it was boring and repetitive but I didn't find it strenuous or unpleasant or demeaning, and always completed my quota well ahead of time (and kept on plodding along). (Working at 90% was sufficient to meet quota and seemed easily attainable.)

Sure, this isn't a great job here, but the writer doth protest too much.
I rarely agree with you, but here is one time I do. This is a job and maybe not the greatest job, but a job. I read the entire article and since so many of the people hear are calling this girl a "he" I know a lot of you haven't. Please do if you can manage to get through 4 pages. Tell me what is so demeaning. I see that it is a job that people might start with, but not want to end with. There are jobs like that and what is wrong with that? Do you really want to live in a world where no one collects the garbage, cleans toilets or works in 115 degrees to build our houses? Just because it is a job you don't like doesn't mean you are being treated like crap. If you want to pursue your passion and have your time belong to your there is work involved in getting to that point. Again, what is so demeaning?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM

744 posts, read 811,976 times
My sisters boss buys tickets to red sox and patriots games for his workers to promote team building and it is one of the fastest growing companies in the world.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
So if the warehouse owner handed this whiner a ticket to a ballgame all would be well?? lol

Gimme gimme gimme.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:15 PM

457 posts, read 905,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
No they don't. You might try informing yourself before posting nonsense.
If I am mis-reading your comment, I apologize. In warehouses I have worked in Texas and CT, repetitive stress injuries rank #3 for workplace injuries, behind back strains and contusions. Repetitive motions are part of many DC jobs and should be minimized as much as possible. Repetitive motion is just one of many aspects of manufacturing that can be found in distribution, at least aerospace distribution, which is what I am familiar with.

Old 06-29-2012, 03:50 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
"Freedom is another word for nuthin left to lose."

If so, is "security" just another way to say, "Nothing left but to wait to die?"

Old 06-29-2012, 06:25 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
repetitive stress injuries rank #3 for workplace injuries, behind back strains and contusions. Repetitive motions are part of many DC jobs and should be minimized as much as possible.
If this is true I'm surprised I got thru my early teen years without a severe nerve damage to my right wrist.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:30 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
How someone can make fun of horrible working conditions is pathetic:

The place is immense. Cold, cavernous. Silent, despite thousands of people quietly doing their picking, or standing along the conveyors quietly packing or box-taping, nothing noisy but the occasional whir of a passing forklift. My scanner tells me in what exact section—there are nine merchandise sections, so sprawling that there's a map attached to my ID badge—of vast shelving systems the item I'm supposed to find resides. It also tells me how many seconds it thinks I should take to get there. Dallas sector, section yellow, row H34, bin 22, level D: wearable blanket. Battery-operated flour sifter. Twenty seconds. I count how many steps it takes me to speed-walk to my destination: 20. At 5-foot-9, I've got a decently long stride, and I only cover the 20 steps and locate the exact shelving unit in the allotted time if I don't hesitate for one second or get lost or take a drink of water before heading in the right direction as fast as I can walk or even occasionally jog. Olive-oil mister. Male libido enhancement pills. Rifle strap. Who the fu** buys their paper towels off the internet? Fairy calendar. Neoprene lunch bag. Often as not, I miss my time target.
Curious = what exactly is horrible about the description you quoted? It sounds like she is in a large warehouse walking around putting things in places. 20 seconds to walk 20 steps? A step a second?

I don't think it sounds anything close to "horrible" it sounds like a standard low wage job that requires no brains or training just a willingness to work hard.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
She ought to come dig trenches for me in the 100 degree heat. That job would seem like heaven.

Asses and elbow people, asses and elbows.

Yep. I worked on a turbine deck for years with screaming a$$ turbines and 160 degree heat. Try running a jack hammer busting out cement for twelve hours a day in that. These people wouldn't know work if it jumped up and bit em in the butt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies