Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:26 PM

121 posts, read 133,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I didn't see that piece as whinning but rather as an expose on the deplorable working conditions which are developing in this country as a result of the economy; conditions which are ignored and therefore accepted by so many people. I don't believe that back in the 1960s people had it so hard and I find it difficult to believe that people in that time of protests would have ignored such things; that's what labor law were all about. Why NOW should people be subjected to such abusive working conditions? Can't stop for a drink of water because it put you behind on the "goals" given to you by the company? You may be in great physical condition because of hard work for many years and your genes. However, all people are not created equal physically. There need to be standards for working conditions or the corporate "owners" will work people to death for little pay and no benefits, until only the really wealthy have a life worth living; I support capitalism AND some regulation.
Look, this is silly. Up until a few months ago, I was working at a distribution center like the one described and it is in no way a difficult job. It is production(quota) work, however, which requires a certain skillset just like anything else, so it can be stressful if it doesn't come naturally. It's boring and repetitive, but not very physically demanding. People talk to each other all the time. Is it fun? No, of course not, but it's very light work in a climate-controlled building. You're either trolling or just confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
Quote:
I didn't see that piece as whinning but rather as an expose on the deplorable working conditions which are developing in this country as a result of the economy; conditions which are ignored and therefore accepted by so many people. I don't believe that back in the 1960s people had it so hard and I find it difficult to believe that people in that time of protests would have ignored such things; that's what labor law were all about. Why NOW should people be subjected to such abusive working conditions? Can't stop for a drink of water because it put you behind on the "goals" given to you by the company? You may be in great physical condition because of hard work for many years and your genes. However, all people are not created equal physically. There need to be standards for working conditions or the corporate "owners" will work people to death for little pay and no benefits, until only the really wealthy have a life worth living; I support capitalism AND some regulation.
The working conditions she described are anything but deplorable. They are actually pretty good. I know if you've never done physical labor of any significance they may seem that way, but there are much harder jobs with much worse conditions that DID go on in the 60's and still go on today. The job she describes is a rather simple easy job that has few requirements and takes very little thought.... All that is required is a little discipline and drive. Not all areas of the country are union and frankly, where I live nobody really wants anything to do with a union. Unions are kinda useless when you are making good money, have good benefits, and are treated well. Hard labor is NOT being treated badly and this young woman was a LONG way from "being worked to death". I am a small man that started life without the advantage of "superior genetics". I am strong and healthy BECAUSE of hard labor and I have no regrets. I don't mean any disrespect in telling you that you are discussing a topic that you are obviously undereducated in. The stories you are hearing about the 50's and 60's are for the most part true. We didn't have the luxuries that you enjoy today in the workplace. Strickter work guidelines were followed and many supervisors spent their entire days, screaming at the top of their lungs. We didn't wear hard hats, we wore no ear protection and no reflective vests. A lot of the labor was done by hand. I have no regrets, as most boomers don't. Our labor paid us dividends and our hard work was well rewarded. Mine put 4 kids through college and paid for a home, and several rental properties. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but many people in the US see hard work as a virtue.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
Quote:
She referred to people in their 50s and 60s working in that place; not just young people. Do you remember the part about workampers? I still don't think companies in this country should be able to work people to the point of physical collapse.
Where is the part in the article about someone collapsing? I read the whole thing and I must have missed that. Did that happen?

She was there a week. Does anyone think maybe that she just wasn't good at the job? I can think of a whole list of jobs I could try for a week that I think I would be terrible at, at least at first. I know someone said that this warehouse job doesn't require much brainwork, but it seems to me that since it requires collecting the right things as quickly as possible to put in the box and get the order together, a sharper person will be quicker at it. And the impression I get is that there were others there that kick but at the job.

The whole safety thing that she was whining about. There are jobs that just aren't 100 percent safe and are more of a risk to people physically. There will always be risks. For example, even when all the right safety precausions are taken, building construction is dangerous. There are injuries and there always will be. Its what workers comp insurance is for. How do you make everything 100 percent safe? She's trying to compare this to her real job and you can't.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:19 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
Quote:
And WHY do you think that most everybody else is your physical equal? I think you sound exceptional. I know old people who couldn't even think of doing what you do. It's not a matter of "determination." It's a matter of physical fitness, and we are not equal in that department. Fortunately I don't have to struggle. However, that does not preclude me from having concern for those that do.
People that are not his physical equal or close should not have his job. Should a job be dumbed down or should people that can't do the job be fired?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,404,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalCarpetRide View Post
Look, this is silly. Up until a few months ago, I was working at a distribution center like the one described and it is in no way a difficult job. It is production(quota) work, however, which requires a certain skillset just like anything else, so it can be stressful if it doesn't come naturally. It's boring and repetitive, but not very physically demanding. People talk to each other all the time. Is it fun? No, of course not, but it's very light work in a climate-controlled building. You're either trolling or just confused.
Maybe the company you work for is not like the one she described. I don't think I'm confused. Does my disagreeing with the popular opinions on this topic make my posts trolling? Your job doesn't sound at all like the job the journalist described. It sounded like she went to that particular company because they already had a reputation for treating their employees especially harsh.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Where is the part in the article about someone collapsing? I read the whole thing and I must have missed that. Did that happen?

She was there a week. Does anyone think maybe that she just wasn't good at the job? I can think of a whole list of jobs I could try for a week that I think I would be terrible at, at least at first. I know someone said that this warehouse job doesn't require much brainwork, but it seems to me that since it requires collecting the right things as quickly as possible to put in the box and get the order together, a sharper person will be quicker at it. And the impression I get is that there were others there that kick but at the job.

The whole safety thing that she was whining about. There are jobs that just aren't 100 percent safe and are more of a risk to people physically. There will always be risks. For example, even when all the right safety precausions are taken, building construction is dangerous. There are injuries and there always will be. Its what workers comp insurance is for. How do you make everything 100 percent safe? She's trying to compare this to her real job and you can't.
I have not suggested that we can "make everything 100 percent safe".......

My point was that I don't think it speaks well of any country to be able to work people to the point of collapse, and with fewer and fewer regulations it won't be long until that could very well be not unusual. After all, before labor laws, what did companies do to their employees because they could? Why did we need labor laws, after all? I'm not one of those who believes that totally unregulated capitalism is a good thing; there needs to be balance. People are greedy, and when that is combined with the "power" to do whatever you want, no restraints whatsoever, in your business, MOST big businesses will have absolutely no concern nor loyalty to their employees when they can get away with it in order to make more MONEY, IMO.

I thought the working conditions she described sounded harsh.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
People that are not his physical equal or close should not have his job. Should a job be dumbed down or should people that can't do the job be fired?
I thought his point was that because he could do extremely hard physical work, that most everybody else could, too. It's still my position that he is exceptional, especially for his saying that he is "old." My point is that there should be standards for the treatment of employees in the workplace.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:06 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,293 times
This will be my last post on this subject. I appreciate that you think I am exceptional, however the fact is, as I stated earlier, I am a relatively small man. I by no means started my labor career with the strength that I have developed over many years. By saying this what I am saying is that yes most people are capable of doing what I do over time. How do you think I became able to do this? By sitting at a desk or meerly running around in a warehouse? Any person without physical limitations and a reasonable mind can develop themselves to do the kind of work that I do. Is it easy? No it isn't but it is rewarding in many ways. There are thousands of different careers in this country that require hard physical labor. Most supervisors don't expect an applicant to be able to accomplish all aspects of their job over night. They do expect you to continue to develope yourself within your chosen field. As for industry standards for the treatment of employees, have you ever heard of OSHA? There have been standards for years and they are routinely updated. I mean no disrespect, but you really are out of touch with what the american worker does every day of their lives. It may be hard for you to comprehend, but most take a great deal of pride and satisfaction from their accomplishments. Some jobs simply cannot be done by any other means than by hard physical labor irrespective of developments in the work place.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times
Everybody should experience some down and dirty slave labor...just as everybody should spend a day or two in a jail cell- It's all experience..But like the jail cell- it's interesting and amusing for a bit- and just like the labor job- when the door opens- you go--------------out.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So if the warehouse owner handed this whiner a ticket to a ballgame all would be well?? lol

Gimme gimme gimme.
I didnt see anything in the description to indicate that it wasnt well to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies