Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
MJ will do absolutely nothing for pain. If you ask for it for pain, it's obvious that person is just trying to get it legally just to get high. Pain meds are there for a reason, some people need them for certain things.
The MJ plants that are the best for physical pain are the high CBD strains (indica dominant). These have less THC than the sativa dominant strains high THC but low CBD. The higher THC strains have effect described as cerebral "high" and many can still function in this. Funny how some police officers say the higher THC strains are more dangerous & their recommendation is Marinol with 100% THC! Many quit that because it makes them too high, or they can't keep the pill down due to cancer "treatment". I say "treatment" because most drop dead within a few years of cutting, burning & poisoning. Cannabis oil, OTOH, has been reported to cure cancer & other painful & deadly illnesses within a few months.

Libertarian Presidential candidate Gary Johgnson used MJ after he fell 50 feet in a paragliding accident. Broken bones: rib, back, knee. He used it for 3 years to manage this horrible pain, no opiates. 25% of Americans say they are in chronic pain, so Drs. & Big Pharma can't help all.

As for the so-called "recreational" users, most are using it to treat anxiety, depression, panic, stress, psychosis, etc. Drs. recommended cannabis in the mid-1800s as the best treatment for mood disorders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
and who exactly are these Americans you speak of? I'm not saying that the op's story isn't true but people need to stop making it seem as if everyone these days is on some kind medication and all doctors are trying to drug us to death.

The funny thing is that it's mostly the people who have little to no background in medicine who believe they can accurately diagnose whether someone needs meds or not.
I don't think the doctors are trying to "drug us to death" per se....In fact, I don't even think the local corner dwelling thug (even though, they are becoming extinct nowadays) is trying to drug somebody to death either.

But while the thread title may be exaggerated slightly...there is definitely a huge problem with big pharma and their influence on practice. The same way a "care for profit" dynamic has watered down the quality of care for some because doctors pack their charts beyond capacity.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,997 times
Default yes, "fire" Dr, you're probably OK

[quote=Hot_Handz;24926849]I went to my primary for my bi-annual check up. And I am considering switching as I have only been with my physician two years since I just relocated and lost my primary of 15 years.

Recently, I received a promotion at my workplace which is relatively more demanding of my time and energy. During my visit I had my baseline bloodwork done and when the results came back it was noted that my triglycerides were a tad high (203mg/ml).

My doc asked me if there was any environmental factors that could trigger the spike? First off, I am a pretty well conditioned individual. I run and walk a combined 10 miles a week plus resistance training. My diet is not super clean...but I don't indulge much either. My BP was also in pre-hypertension range. He stated that weight training and genetic factors are also a major factor.

But he asked me about stress....and I told him that my new promotion plus the daily grind has had me unusually on edge. So I figured it's just more of an adjustment period than anything and I would simply adapt.

And then he wrote me a script for hydrocodone (Vicodin). So, I was a little puzzled and advised him I was in no pain whatsoever....nor did I suffer an injury. And he informed me that it is a generally accepted protocol for stress relief and to take patients edge off and help them cope better with stress.

Re triglycerides: I have a friend that got around 1,000mg/ml in his test & he did not die. I ran out of COQ10 for a few months as local price was 5x mailorder, so my triglycerides got up to about 500. Got more COQ10 & was tested some months later, triglycerides back to normal.

Physical can give high readings on some tests due to stress that something bad will be found.

If you wonder if your BP is always high you could get a home tester for a pretty affordable price. Then you could report results to Dr, probably indicating he over-reacted to put you on unnecessary meds.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:08 PM

[quote=GJJG2012;24933533]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I went to my primary for my bi-annual check up. And I am considering switching as I have only been with my physician two years since I just relocated and lost my primary of 15 years.

Recently, I received a promotion at my workplace which is relatively more demanding of my time and energy. During my visit I had my baseline bloodwork done and when the results came back it was noted that my triglycerides were a tad high (203mg/ml).

My doc asked me if there was any environmental factors that could trigger the spike? First off, I am a pretty well conditioned individual. I run and walk a combined 10 miles a week plus resistance training. My diet is not super clean...but I don't indulge much either. My BP was also in pre-hypertension range. He stated that weight training and genetic factors are also a major factor.

But he asked me about stress....and I told him that my new promotion plus the daily grind has had me unusually on edge. So I figured it's just more of an adjustment period than anything and I would simply adapt.

And then he wrote me a script for hydrocodone (Vicodin). So, I was a little puzzled and advised him I was in no pain whatsoever....nor did I suffer an injury. And he informed me that it is a generally accepted protocol for stress relief and to take patients edge off and help them cope better with stress.

Re triglycerides: I have a friend that got around 1,000mg/ml in his test & he did not die. I ran out of COQ10 for a few months as local price was 5x mailorder, so my triglycerides got up to about 500. Got more COQ10 & was tested some months later, triglycerides back to normal.

Physical can give high readings on some tests due to stress that something bad will be found.

If you wonder if your BP is always high you could get a home tester for a pretty affordable price. Then you could report results to Dr, probably indicating he over-reacted to put you on unnecessary meds.
Well....I'm expecting a hike in my life insurance premium now that I refused meds by doctors order (cholesterol and BP). So, after I see it probably double.. I will need the BP and Cholesterol meds anyway lol.

J/K

Yea, to be honest I am not concerned at all @ 203 mg/ml tri. Many people, even another physician, have told me that it's just a guideline and that it is a perfectly healthy number. My BP was 128/78... I would like to bring that down....but nothing cleaning up my diet can't help in that arena.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:17 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Ok... so here I have a doctor tell me "It's generally accepted protocol"...

Then I have ANOTHER doctor (you...supposedly) tell me that it ISN'T...

So which ONE doctors word should I take for gospel?? Yours or his?? Because honestly I don't have all my life to gather rigorous scientific data.

And.. i thought I made it pretty clear that I am more than likely changing doctors.

I agree with Stan 4- Prescribing hydrocodone for "anxiety" is definately very odd, as it is not an anxiolytic in the first place. In the second place, prescribing anxiolytics or anti-depressants for brief situational events is not good practice. I would offer that such prescribing practices would soon invite the attention of the Board of Medical Examiners in our state.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
In the second place, prescribing anxiolytics or anti-depressants for brief situational events is not good practice. I would offer that such prescribing practices would soon invite the attention of the Board of Medical Examiners in our state.
How many people are prescribed valium, klon or xanax?? Millions on top of millions...

Doctors are very liberal with benzos...I'm not being pretentious. I come from a family with a few physicians, a nurse practitioner and several RN's. My mother was an RN.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,121 times
Quote:
I went to my primary for my bi-annual check up. And I am considering switching as I have only been with my physician two years since I just relocated and lost my primary of 15 years.

And I never heard of such a thing in my life.....until I spoke to my close friend later that day and he said his doctor did the same exact thing for him and he said it worked for him. But I am totally opposed to opiate treatment for myself.

I was aware about the abuse of prescribed opiates and the "pill mills" but I was really disturbed to know the scope was this wide. It just seems pretty unethical to me. Not saying that Western Medicine is the holy grail of all good and ethical.

So, I will be talking to my wife tonight about changing my primary physician
I really think you are full of it, I have never heard of this before in my life.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I really think you are full of it, I have never heard of this before in my life.
Somehow, I am trying to fathom anything that could benefit me from making this up.

Thanks for letting me know you've never heard of it, though...I'm sure I could run many other things you've never heard of by you . Must mean those things never happened either. lol

Old 06-27-2012, 08:56 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,172 times
Hank Williams doctor also recommended a quick shot of morphine before going on stage to take the edge off.

Opiates are nothing new for stress relief.

Quote:

And I never heard of such a thing in my life.....until I spoke to my close friend later that day and he said his doctor did the same exact thing for him and he said it worked for him. But I am totally opposed to opiate treatment for myself.

I was aware about the abuse of prescribed opiates and the "pill mills" but I was really disturbed to know the scope was this wide. It just seems pretty unethical to me. Not saying that Western Medicine is the holy grail of all good and ethical.

So, I will be talking to my wife tonight about changing my primary physician

Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 PM

117 posts, read 160,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
My self-appointed intellectual mentor from Temple was a Molecular Biologist who taught at a School of Medicine. His opinion of his students was, in general, not very high. Basically, he viewed today's Physicians as being little more than trained technicians - simply following protocols established by others, with little or no empirical knowledge base.

The protocols of the Medical Industry exist to enrich that industry. Your well-being is of tertiary importance to that industry, if it is truly of any importance at all.

Of course Physicians will push drugs at you. The short term goal is to sell you drugs. The long term goal is to mess you up to the point where all resources which can be milked from you (and your family...and, ultimately, once you are pauperized and dying...government and private charity resources) will have been sucked out of what would have been your life and estate.

Unfortunately, this is totally in keeping with today's business culture. And believe me: behind the veneers of 'caring' and heroism, the Medical Industry is entirely about business.
Are you retarded? Are you a retarded person? There are plenty of sick people and few doctors that they do not need to make more people sick.

*And btw before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, I can say retarded because my brother happens to be handicapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies