Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
This sounds like a BS story since you can't buy "cigarettes" with a EBT card! Unless the store clerk was complicit as well which is probably the case!
Why do you people pound on people on "food stamps" anyways? I would rather feed starving Americans here and than having my TAX dollars going to Afghangis who blow up our Soldiers!
You are 100% wrong. You can buy anything you want to buy with the cash portion of EBT cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
I think this woman may be onto something.

While we're at it, we should pass a law that government employees can't buy cigarettes or liquor. After all, that's our taxpayer money they're spending on immorality, and when they get sick it's our taxpayer money paying for their health benefits.

Also, anyone who gets the mortgage interest deduction, or any tax deduction for that matter, shouldn't be allowed to buy cigarettes or booze. After all, it's unfair to force me to pay higher taxes because of their tax deductions, and then make me spend tax money on their vices.

The same goes for birth control.

Oh, and while we're on a roll, what is up with people being allowed to drive on government roads that my tax dollars pay for to buy their birth control pills? I disapprove of their licentiousness, so why should I be subsidizing them in this way?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
The clerk quit, unless I'm reading the story incorrectly. But if she hadn't quit and hadn't agreed to comply with company and government regulations, then I think the company would have been justsified in terminating her. She was arrogant and used her personal standards to determine how her employer's company should be run, and how someone else should live their lives. What next? Would she tell an Asian person she wouldn't serve them, because she didn't like Asians? Or Blacks? Or Lesbians? Or children with Red hair? People like her have no place in retail businesses or customer service positions.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
This sounds like a BS story since you can't buy "cigarettes" with a EBT card! Unless the store clerk was complicit as well which is probably the case!
'complicit,' my ass!

she was fired for refusing to sell the guy cigarettes on his EBT card!

Woman fired for stand; NH says abuse tough to stop

Quote:
EBT benefits or state assistance money can be used to purchase anything, including alcohol and cigarettes. The cards can be used at strip clubs, tanning and nail salons and tattoo parlors, Whiton said.
-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The clerk quit, unless I'm reading the story incorrectly. But if she hadn't quit and hadn't agreed to comply with company and government regulations, then I think the company would have been justsified in terminating her. She was arrogant and used her personal standards to determine how her employer's company should be run, and how someone else should live their lives. What next? Would she tell an Asian person she wouldn't serve them, because she didn't like Asians? Or Blacks? Or Lesbians? Or children with Red hair? People like her have no place in retail businesses or customer service positions.
no, she didn't quit:

Quote:
A former employee of the Big Apple convenience store in Peterborough, Whiton was fired after she refused to accept Electronic Benefit Transfer cards as payment for cigarettes. She is now collecting signatures for a petition protesting how the state aid program is run, and plans to lobby the governor.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
WIC ties their funds to specific foods. bean, rice, peanut butter, meat, butter, milk and so forth. it would be an easy thing with todays computer registers to do the same. There are always retailers that will cheat the system in order to get those few extra dollars but generally they will preform as dictated. We just need better demands made to our representatives. They need to know we don't want to pay for vices, or diapers or other things that tie people to and endless handout. ... How about placing a 1 year limit to food stamps? Not sure what we would do about those that truly need them but it would end the lifetime of support.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 AM

835 posts, read 1,040,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Gees, why did they get off of it? Cause they didnt want to be poor anymore..
No, they got off because they stopped being poor and didn't need the assistance. You can't just decide you don't want to be poor one day and have it come true the next. Families who have gotten off welfare have worked up and have just used it temporarily for assistance.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Default Clerk Fired for Refusing to Sell Cigarettes paid for by a Food Stamp Card

I didn't know one could buy cigarettes on a food stamp swipe card.. I thought it was for food.
A women was fired for refusing to allow a customer to pay for the cigarettes with her food stamps.

Store Clerk Fired For Refusing to Sell Cigarettes to Food Stamp Customer | TheBlaze.com

Old 06-28-2012, 07:57 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
The taxpayers of the area need to boycott the store.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
<shrug> So she got fired for not doing her job. And?

Old 06-28-2012, 08:29 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
<shrug> So she got fired for not doing her job. And?
You don't see a problem with people using other people's money to buy cigarettes? Money that should go towards FOOD?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies