Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will the Supreme Court do?
Strike down Obamacare as unconstitutional 8 21.62%
Strike down the individual mandate only 18 48.65%
Leave Obamacare intact 8 21.62%
Other (please specify) 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
If it is struck down in part or whole, how long until Obama issues another edic... err.. executive order to implement parts of it?
It won't take a week before that starts happening. They are ready to have just what many here expect to happen so will start immediately.

Golly, they can't afford to have all the work that HHS has done writing regulations about instituting it go to waste.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
I expect them to conceal carry. When it comes times to read the decision they're going to pull on one another. Last Justice standing gets to administer the ULTIMATE JUSTICE. I expect that to be Ginsburg. Or Thomas if he has a shot gun.

FX will claim rights to the action and produce a reality show called Justified, starring a modern day cowboy of a U.S. Marshall. In the future, all SCOTUS decisions will be handled by Raylan Givens... aka Timothy Olyphant. With Associate Justice Boyd Crowder.

The New York Times will deem it Life... Imitating Art and claim it as the 'new America'. Pot will still be outlawed, but everybody must get stoned.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'm thinking the court is going to tread very carefully around this one. There are already a lot of very powerful people in the country who think the country is facing a constitutional crisis with this clearly partisan court.
Just like in the early days of the "New Deal" when the court was shooting down FDR's measured wholesale the court began to come under severe political pressure not anly from FDR but from the people as well. This court has pretty much shot it's bolt with the Citizens united decision. It's widely seen not only in the USA but by the world as one of the worst decisions ever made in American history.

Even though this court is clearly in the pockets of big business I think many will be surprised when Obamacare is largely upheld in the decision. If not, they risk making this court a mockery and the chief justice has shown that he cares very much about the historical opinion that will be placed upon HIS court. It will take a lot to live down citizens and as we have already seen with the Az decision the court is in no mood to go way out on any more limbs.
The historical opinion will not be written tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
I'm thinking the court is going to tread very carefully around this one. There are already a lot of very powerful people in the country who think the country is facing a constitutional crisis with this clearly partisan court.
Just like in the early days of the "New Deal" when the court was shooting down FDR's measured wholesale the court began to come under severe political pressure not anly from FDR but from the people as well. This court has pretty much shot it's bolt with the Citizens united decision. It's widely seen not only in the USA but by the world as one of the worst decisions ever made in American history.

Even though this court is clearly in the pockets of big business I think many will be surprised when Obamacare is largely upheld in the decision. If not, they risk making this court a mockery and the chief justice has shown that he cares very much about the historical opinion that will be placed upon HIS court. It will take a lot to live down citizens and as we have already seen with the Az decision the court is in no mood to go way out on any more limbs.
You have been doing a very good job of taking all those things that MM is putting out to heart and doing a great job, it seems.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:15 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
I think parts will be thrown out and some will stay, then both sides can claim victory. Oh joy!! I would love if it was found constitutional for everyone to have insurance because frankly I'm tired of paying for those that don't. I do like the fact that you can't be denied for preexisting issues. That is huge!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:31 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:

The way you portray things, it's as if you believe 67% of Americans WANT this 2700 page monstrosity. You underestimate Americans and their ability to know true rubbish from good lawmaking.

The Affordable Healcthcare Act, which is miles away from actually being affordable, was rushed through by a power-hungry bunch of DEMs. They knew they'd never get another chance like this again. They pushed through something that would ensure the dismantling of the Constitution, once and for all. They want us to be a part of the "global community" and the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights, are things that stand in their way.

Doesn't anyone else realize why the economy was so unimportant to them his first two years?

He hasn't done bupkis since passing this thing... OH, except signing the Defense Act on Christmas Eve. What a laugh he must have gotten from that one.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:36 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I expect them to conceal carry. When it comes times to read the decision they're going to pull on one another. Last Justice standing gets to administer the ULTIMATE JUSTICE. I expect that to be Ginsburg. Or Thomas if he has a shot gun.

FX will claim rights to the action and produce a reality show called Justified, starring a modern day cowboy of a U.S. Marshall. In the future, all SCOTUS decisions will be handled by Raylan Givens... aka Timothy Olyphant. With Associate Justice Boyd Crowder.

The New York Times will deem it Life... Imitating Art and claim it as the 'new America'. Pot will still be outlawed, but everybody must get stoned.
Wow, that must be one helluva bong you've got there!

Besides, I live in California where life has always imitated art, and reality is just a concept; constructed by multi-dimensional observers, who play with us like pieces on a board game. I've heard that jumping through dimensions can drive them batsh%t crazy. See Boxer, Pelosi, Waters as examples.

Last edited by steven_h; 06-27-2012 at 09:45 PM..

Old 06-27-2012, 10:08 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,814 times
Quote:

This is one point of view, plus the Commerce Clause of the Constitution makes the legislation constitutional, plus the fact that people already pay into SS and Medicare. I'm thinking it will go 5/4 uphold, and maybe even 6/3, with Kennedy being the 6th. Of course, I could be wrong.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
While you're putting up the poll, I'll answer by saying I think the entire thing will get thrown out. SCOTUS is smart enough to know without the mandate, it would fail, so trash it and be done with it.

I hope, too. lol.

Aren't you tired of paying for the uninsured with your hard earned dollars. Everyone needs to be insured.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Aren't you tired of paying for the uninsured with your hard earned dollars. Everyone needs to be insured.
Obamacare doesnt change the fact that people will not be insured, and you will continue to pay for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies