Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:56 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That's like saying that you have to continue paying $300 for a smartphone bill for your kid because he subscribed to a bunch of nonsense apps.

You tell him to unsubscribe. And if that doesn't work, you stop paying the bill. That's what we have to do, just cut off the money. The situation will take care of itself.

Let's turn this deficit into a surplus overnight.
You actually think any cutting of one program will actually be used to pay down anything? LOL. They spend it faster than it comes in already what makes you think that will change? What clue have our representatives shown you that makes you think they will use one nickel of anything cut to pay down the debt at all? That is almost as laughable as your comparison of a phone to our military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:01 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
I hope it is not so much fun watching both sides foolishly point fingers and again wind up in another nauseating and cantekerous battle.

The last battle made the majority of Americans disgusted with congress and its pathetically vile politics.

The country does not need another emusculating debt debate filled with arrogance, pretention, and disingenuous intentions.

We need both sides to roll up their sleeves and admit we need to start debt reduction that makes sense and that is viable------is that too much to ask of our honorably elected representatives------probably yes.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:12 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Look we are the going therough what the soviet union went trough in the 1980's in fact we are in the same place they were fighting in foir a decade themseklfs and were not getting any results and it cost then billions and along with keeping R&D funding formilitary projects as well maintaining a massive Navy, Airforce and Army that where most of the stuff was never used..

I mean look at the massive fleet of rusting SSBN Soviet Nulcear Subs that now are useless and in a way are much like our own SSBN Ohio Class.. We should convert to half to SSGNs atleast we will be able to use them in combat.... Since they can have conventional warheads while still have Trident II armed SSBN's ensure MAD doctrine as a way to prevent nulcear first strikes.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Bear Trap-Afghanistan-Soviet War part 1 of 3 - YouTube
We face the same issues as the soviet Union did and their Vetrens are ask the same questions our troops and the public are asking now.

We are aking the same maistakes as the Soviet Union ddi l;eading to their reduced staus in power and reduced world influence and Russi ai s just getting their economy back to some sort of decent level and yet we do not even notice we are doing the same thing.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The rest of the government has been cut over the past 3 years.
Military has always been a sacred cow.
It's a welfare program in its own way.

Countries without massive military take care of their citizens.
Something the US should look at doing.
"The rest of the government has been cut over the past 3 years."

Really? The why has our deficit and debt gone up so much?

I am going to have to challenge you on this statement.

Please provide data to back kt up.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 PM

416 posts, read 637,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Cut the entire government by 10-15%, across the board, no one crys foul, if you cut the military by 50%, and keep everything else the same, that would not make any general happy because they are unfairly carring the entire burden.
please look back at the rate of growth by government category since 1980 before suggesting across the board cuts

Old 06-29-2012, 05:06 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
That would still leave us with the largest military in the world. Why can't we do this?

Is there a problem with 7 aircraft carrier battle groups instead of 14? I believe Great Britain is the only other country in the world that actually has an ACC Battlegroup and they do it in cooperation with France.

But we have 12 on patrol all over the world at all times and 2 in reserve (apologies, this from memory).

So why can't we just slash it in half and go to the UN and dump a whole bunch on them, like the defense of Europe (from whom?) and half of the middle east problems.

Either that, or Haliburton agrees to pay 50% tax on all their revenues and the oil companies agree to the same.
Cutting the military that much would mean too many jobs lost. On the other had Romney, wants to step up military spending considerably. That is his jobs creation program for America.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
It's possible that you haven't learned much from public school, Minethatbird. No one can force you to learn things or think logically. I've known a few kids who couldn't do much in the way of reading or 'rithmetic. In my time they were shunted off to a different "track" where they learned about trades such as construction. But I learned plenty myself, it was just a matter of paying attention in class and doing most of the homework.

To suggest that there shouldn't be any public education because a few kids are only half-literate ...... well now that's not very logical, it's thirdworld thinking, and would soon result in this nation becoming a third world country. And not surprisingly, it's the poorly educated folks who want that for us, who want education cut so that we can build on an already obscenely bloated military.
I did not suggest that there be no public education. I just don't think they should be regarded as folks that should never be subjected to budget cuts. Same for the National Endowment for the Arts.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:13 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
He does know a good horse when he sees it. Hope you had money on that horse Derby Day. I know I didn't!
I still get a kick out of Dave Johnson's botched call.

But I'm a forgiving sort.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:24 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
I find it interesting that some of you folks who are usually anti-union are worried about military people losing their jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies