Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:15 PM

186 posts, read 263,344 times

Advertisements

What about things like "Open Season" and "Continuing Coverage". I am hearing that they can not turn people down for preexisting conditions, but if an insurance company sees that you have taken up and dropped insurance a couple of times, they may not want to cover you. Won't it be like car insurance? You may get away with dropping it once, but more than that? We are not allowed to change insurance except during "Open Season" or a "life changing" event like marriage, divorce, baby, etc. Do the insurance company's HAVE to accept a person? What if they put in like a 30 day "wait" clause for insurance to take affect. It will be really hard to find insurance if your spouse was hit and run by a car last night, or had a heart attack yesterday. I don't think it is going to be as easy to drop and pick up as people are thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
If you want to take risks that don't impact other people go for it, but that's not the case here. People like me are impacted by your poor choices, because if you're in a major accident, or if you get cancer, I'm going to be the one picking up your tab, unless you're able to swing hundreds of thousands (or millions) of dollars in care out of your personal investments. I'm sick of paying more for my insurance because of irresponsible people.

Well if you and your wife combined make over $90,000 , get used to it. Thats the cutoff for a family of 4 to recive a subsidy for their HI.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
So far, nobody has come up with any reason why a housewife should not drop all health insurance coverage, and sign up only after someone gets sick, under Obamacare.

Still waiting....

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So far, nobody has come up with any reason why a housewife should not drop all health insurance coverage, and sign up only after someone gets sick, under Obamacare.

Still waiting....
Because it dosnt take effect for another yr and a 1/2.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:26 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Well if you and your wife combined make over $90,000 , get used to it. Thats the cutoff for a family of 4 to recive a subsidy for their HI.

First, I'm the wife. Second, my family makes a whole lot more than $90K a year. I'm used to paying for my health insurance premiums on my own, and I don't need or want a government payment to cover it. What I AM sick of is my premium costs going up because people like you can't get your act together to take care of your own problems. Just because you haven't had healthcare problems doesn't mean you won't--that's like saying just because you've never had a car accident, it's impossible that you'll ever have one. It's irresponsible and stupid.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
First, I'm the wife. Second, my family makes a whole lot more than $90K a year. I'm used to paying for my health insurance premiums on my own, and I don't need or want a government payment to cover it. What I AM sick of is my premium costs going up because people like you can't get your act together to take care of your own problems. Just because you haven't had healthcare problems doesn't mean you won't--that's like saying just because you've never had a car accident, it's impossible that you'll ever have one. It's irresponsible and stupid.

Actualy I have hI now. Went up to . Now Im paying $3.47 a week. When Oby care goes full tilt you will be paying a hell of a lot more . $90,000 for a family of 4 is about 75% of the American workforce who will be eligable for a susbsidy. Who do you think will be subsidizing them?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
The employer w/ 49 employees who wasn't offering insurance is in a tough spot if they have room to grow, but there are always costs to doing business.
When you're in business you have justify increased expenses with increased profits. If i have 49 employees and need to add one employee it's not going to happen. Matter of fact adding 10 or 20 employees might not cover the increased expenses for health care. Why do I want to hire more employees to increase production if I'm going to make less than I was before, add another level of paperwork and if I'm in a market with a slim margin inevitably driving the cost of my product up possibly making me non competitive.

A lot of business are going to find it very hard to justify stepping over that threshold becsue if you all of sudden have to provide health insurance for 50 people that's a lot of $$$.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you're in business you have justify increased expenses with increased profits. If i have 49 employees and need to add one employee it's not going to happen. Matter of fact adding 10 or 20 employees might not cover the increased expenses for health care. Why do I want to hire more employees to increase production if I'm going to make less than I was before, add another level of paperwork and if I'm in a market with a slim margin inevitably driving the cost of my product up possibly making me non competitive.

A lot of business are going to find it very hard to justify stepping over that threshold becsue if you all of sudden have to provide health insurance for 50 people that's a lot of capital.

Or they subcontract to a smaller companmy. Or start a second company doing the exact same thing.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

Still waiting....
That's why they have the penalty. It's not as much as an insurance premium, but you're also receiving nothing for it in exchange. I'm assuming the money goes into the fund to help cover care for low income people. If you get sick and you don't have insurance, you're right--you could sign up then--but you're still going to have to pay out of pocket for expenses incurred before your insurance is approved. If you're in a car accident or you have an acute onset illness, that might get more than a bit pricey --not a risk ANY RESPONSIBLE person would take. My husband was in the hospital a few months ago for kidney stones, and wound up having surgery within a few days because they wouldn't pass. It was a $40K hospital bill.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Or get a job. Just a thought.

WTF is getting a job supposed to accomplish? None of my jobs have ever provided health insurance, and tens of millions of employed Americans are uninsured.

FAIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies